LSAT Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JUmpJUmp

New

LSAT

Post by JUmpJUmp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Does the LSAT bear any significance after law school? In particular, do employers ask for the lsat scores of job applicants? I would imagine law firms would take advantage of such a standardized, objective measure (especially since some top law schools are adopted the P/F grading system).

I ask because I've heard that some investment banks even ask for applicants' SAT scores. Experiences and/or thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: LSAT

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:17 pm

Ive seen this answered numerous times with the answer of 'not at all,' I myself do not know, but just thought it would be somewhat valuable to tell you what I've read a bunch of times...i'm sure someone will add to why it is a 'no'

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Would I be an ass if I put my LSAT on my resume, since mine is above the 75 percentile at my current school?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:25 pm

JUmpJUmp wrote:Does the LSAT bear any significance after law school? In particular, do employers ask for the lsat scores of job applicants? I would imagine law firms would take advantage of such a standardized, objective measure (especially since some top law schools are adopted the P/F grading system).

I ask because I've heard that some investment banks even ask for applicants' SAT scores. Experiences and/or thoughts?
It does for some programs you might apply to for 1L summer, especially if they are hiring before grades come out.
Anonymous User wrote:Would I be an ass if I put my LSAT on my resume, since mine is above the 75 percentile at my current school?
Yes

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would I be an ass if I put my LSAT on my resume, since mine is above the 75 percentile at my current school?
I think so, unless you're applying to certain consulting firms (e.g. McKinsey) and/or ibanks whose applications explicitly ask for it.

However, CSO told us that we can put any scholarships on our resume (not the amount but the name: e.g. Dean's Scholarship). If your LSAT is >75% for your school, then you probably got some merit aid. Putting a scholarship on your resume will somewhat signal that you have strong credentials compared to most of the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
I think so, unless you're applying to certain consulting firms (e.g. McKinsey) and/or ibanks whose applications explicitly ask for it.

However, CSO told us that we can put any scholarships on our resume (not the amount but the name: e.g. Dean's Scholarship). If your LSAT is >75% for your school, then you probably got some merit aid. Putting a scholarship on your resume will somewhat signal that you have strong credentials compared to most of the class.
Sadly, I only received a grant and it has no name attached to it.
Would I be a stupid ass if I put on my resume that I received a 1/2 tuition grant?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

Would I be a stupid ass if I put on my resume that I received a 1/2 tuition grant?
Ask your CSO how you should format it on your resume. They might have some generic term for it. My gut says that putting "1/2 tuition" would be too much like putting a dollar amount, i.e. tacky, but I have nothing to base that on. Your CSO should be your best bet, and if they aren't helpful, then google it w/a "site:.edu" restriction to see if you can find advice on the matter from other law school CSO's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

Ask your CSO how you should format it on your resume. They might have some generic term for it. My gut says that putting "1/2 tuition" would be too much like putting a dollar amount, i.e. tacky, but I have nothing to base that on. Your CSO should be your best bet, and if they aren't helpful, then google it w/a "site:.edu" restriction to see if you can find advice on the matter from other law school CSO's.
Good advice. Thanks!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Aeroplane wrote:

Where do you put that? Under an awards section, further down, up with the school information, etc?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:35 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

Where do you put that? Under an awards section, further down, up with the school information, etc?
I put it under the school name. I dunno if that's the best way, but I had 2 or 3 resume review rounds w/CSO and they were all fine w/it.
School, City, State
J.D., expected June, 2012
Dean's Scholarship

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:

I put it under the school name. I dunno if that's the best way, but I had 2 or 3 resume review rounds w/CSO and they were all fine w/it.
School, City, State
J.D., expected June, 2012
Dean's Scholarship
So, Dean's Scholarship, not Dean's Scholar?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:20 pm

starstruck393 wrote:So, Dean's Scholarship, not Dean's Scholar?
That's what I put (Scholarship). I dunno if I've ever seen the "Dean's Scholar" wording. I guess it could be OK if the school uses it, although it's not as clear as to what the item is (it could just be misunderstood as a "Dean's List" type honor which might look odd if you have no grades like most 1L's).

Whatever anyone puts, they should double check it w/their own career services. I've found CSO only slightly useful when it comes to job search advice/strategy, but very helpful when it comes to editing materials (resume, cover letter, etc).

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:36 pm

The career services office told me to put my scholarship on there and it was definitely not named.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JUmpJUmp

New

Post by JUmpJUmp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 pm

So, the consensus answer to my original question seems to be: The LSAT is not used to differentiate applicants to law firms, even the most selective big-name law firms. Only a few highly selective i-bank/consulting firms make use of it.

To sage readers of TLS: Is your experience consistent with this? I personally find it odd that top law firms would readily pay huge salaries to young associate w/out politely inquiring about his/her lsat score, just as added assurance that he/she is competent.

And please refrain from ejaculating any rants about how the Lsat is not a good measure of potential. I'm not asking whether or not it is a good test, only whether it is at all used by hiring Partners At Law firms, in either an ostentatious or tacit way.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:04 pm

JUmpJUmp wrote:So, the consensus answer to my original question seems to be: The LSAT is not used to differentiate applicants to law firms, even the most selective big-name law firms. Only a few highly selective i-bank/consulting firms make use of it.

To sage readers of TLS: Is your experience consistent with this? I personally find it odd that top law firms would readily pay huge salaries to young associate w/out politely inquiring about his/her lsat score, just as added assurance that he/she is competent.

And please refrain from ejaculating any rants about how the Lsat is not a good measure of potential. I'm not asking whether or not it is a good test, only whether it is at all used by hiring partners at law firms, in either an ostentatious or tacit way.
--ImageRemoved--

This morning's antics inspired me to see if JUmpJUmp had any other nuggets of wisdom :P

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 pm

The OP is a fucking douche trolling, and apparently catching, around here lately. More than likely some P.O.S. XO or JDUnderground insufferable twat.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=115724

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm

OneKnight wrote:
JUmpJUmp wrote:So, the consensus answer to my original question seems to be: The LSAT is not used to differentiate applicants to law firms, even the most selective big-name law firms. Only a few highly selective i-bank/consulting firms make use of it.

And please refrain from ejaculating any rants about how the Lsat is not a good measure of potential. I'm not asking whether or not it is a good test, only whether it is at all used by hiring partners at law firms, in either an ostentatious or tacit way.
--ImageRemoved--

This morning's antics inspired me to see if JUmpJUmp had any other nuggets of wisdom :P
Great meme and genius to think about finding more of his stuff.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”