what do law students think about skadden Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: what do law students think about skadden

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am
Despite the satire, and perhaps slightly diff than described, “it” factor definitely exists among law students and many associates (for better or worse)

The merger market stats, non white-shoe history, Lathaming, candidate stats, etc. all contribute. We can act like “it” doesn’t matter (bc it might not), but not that it doesn’t exist…
I go to cls/nyu and have never heard of any of my friends talking about "it" factor during eip/eiw season - we were all just trying to figure out which firm is nicer and more humane/ better in the field we are interested in LOL. But then again, probs different types of law students lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Despite the satire, and perhaps slightly diff than described, “it” factor definitely exists among law students and many associates (for better or worse)

The merger market stats, non white-shoe history, Lathaming, candidate stats, etc. all contribute. We can act like “it” doesn’t matter (bc it might not), but not that it doesn’t exist…
I go to cls/nyu and have never heard of any of my friends talking about "it" factor during eip/eiw season - we were all just trying to figure out which firm is nicer and more humane/ better in the field we are interested in LOL. But then again, probs different types of law students lol
Another CLS/NYU person confirming that this entire conversation is insane. No one gives a shit about "candidate stats" or "it factor," even the gunners. The only firms that stand out in any meaningful way are ones that are uniquely amazing in their geographic or practice area (e.g., Wachtell for M&A).

Is this entire thread not satire? I know practice groups matter but I cannot even fathom having a serious conversation about Cravath or S&C or whatever having an "it factor" generally. Some people need hobbies. Damn.

dentist

New

Post by dentist » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Another CLS/NYU person confirming that this entire conversation is insane. No one gives a shit about "candidate stats" or "it factor," even the gunners. The only firms that stand out in any meaningful way are ones that are uniquely amazing in their geographic or practice area (e.g., Wachtell for M&A).

Is this entire thread not satire? I know practice groups matter but I cannot even fathom having a serious conversation about Cravath or S&C or whatever having an "it factor" generally. Some people need hobbies. Damn.
Also from CLS/NYU - agreed with all the above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Non-CLS/NYU people larping after watching one too many episodes of Suits, perhaps?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:05 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Non-CLS/NYU people larping after watching one too many episodes of Suits, perhaps?
I can't imagine someone actually using "it" factor in conversation but it's implicit in these firms reputations. No way above median CLS/NYU or top 25% t14 are not taking these smaller variables into account when picking firms...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm
I can't imagine someone actually using "it" factor in conversation but it's implicit in these firms reputations. No way above median CLS/NYU or top 25% t14 are not taking these smaller variables into account when picking firms...
First, a lot of those students are targeting non-big-NY firms already, which likely leads to fewer options and/or more basic divisions (city, boutique v. big firm, etc.). Second, I have talked to a lot of students and alumni about their decisionmaking processes, and while a minority do pick based on Vault, that is basically as far as it goes in terms of prestige whoring. The rest of the decision is practice groups/fit. No one cares about the "it" factor. The idea that 2Ls generally care about financial stats or "candidate stats" among firms is deluded.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:26 pm
First, a lot of those students are targeting non-big-NY firms already, which likely leads to fewer options and/or more basic divisions (city, boutique v. big firm, etc.). Second, I have talked to a lot of students and alumni about their decisionmaking processes, and while a minority do pick based on Vault, that is basically as far as it goes in terms of prestige whoring. The rest of the decision is practice groups/fit. No one cares about the "it" factor. The idea that 2Ls generally care about financial stats or "candidate stats" among firms is deluded.
I mean the top top students, who tend to be litigators, want to work at (1) boutiques, (2) DC biglaw, or (3) the top trial/appeals shops wherever they’re from. Insofar as they think any firms have the “it” factor they’re going to think like Gibson DC, MoloLamken, or MTO, or even Jones Day Columbus, not S&C NY. There really aren’t gradations between the NY places even if you’re extremely snobby.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”