Most lucrative path starting in corporate at a v10 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Most lucrative path starting in corporate at a v10

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm
GermanLawyer wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 pm
Some other stuff to think about: in IB it's considerably harder to become MD than becoming salary/equity partner in big law. Simply because there are far fewer MD spots than partner spots available each year.

VP is doable since in a good/great market environment there is a big need for bodies. However, IB is even faster to lay-off folks than Latham. That's another positive of big law: job security.
Aren’t VP’s significantly out earning most partners in a good year. I.e., non-equity v10 or midline vault 100 partners?
my one concrete datapoint from JPM/GS/MS last year (friend) was top bucket for junior VP TMT = high-$500s, with a big chunk in equity/deferred comp

the established MDs in my TMT group a few years ago, before I left for law school, were pulling like, couple mill - cash/equity/deferred comp. much closer to $1m than $10m.
Average V10 corporate equity partner in NY outearns the average BB IBD MD. Ceiling is higher at banks though.

Luka4MVP

New

Post by Luka4MVP » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:09 am
I took a few MBA classes in LS and they were FAR easier than law classes. It was well known that law students got As bc they were more studious than the MBA kids. Not at all a dig on MBA kids, I'm sure they get great utility from a two year networking sesh, but the idea that they are more hardworking....
JD/MBA here. The MBA required classes at my school are definitely less difficult than the law classes, but they aren't ridiculously easy like lawyers/law students suggest. I still probably put in about 70% of the work I did in law school for these classes, but there was definitely a "busy work" feel to some of it. As far as the conceptual difficulty goes, MBA classes are a lot more quantitative than law classes, and I would imagine that anybody who isn't at least decently quantitatively competent (so a lot of lawyers) would have serious difficulty getting through an MBA program. I was shocked at how bad some people in my law school were at math--not even complex math, but basic arithmetic.

I will say that my school does not have GND, so I imagine that someone's experience would be different at other schools. Also, the above comment was only about the required classes: the electives are generally very easy. The electives are the only MBA classes open to law students, which probably affects law students' perception of MBA programs as a whole.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:01 am

Luka4MVP wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I took a few MBA classes in LS and they were FAR easier than law classes. It was well known that law students got As bc they were more studious than the MBA kids. Not at all a dig on MBA kids, I'm sure they get great utility from a two year networking sesh, but the idea that they are more hardworking....
JD/MBA here. The MBA required classes at my school are definitely less difficult than the law classes, but they aren't ridiculously easy like lawyers/law students suggest. I still probably put in about 70% of the work I did in law school for these classes, but there was definitely a "busy work" feel to some of it. As far as the conceptual difficulty goes, MBA classes are a lot more quantitative than law classes, and I would imagine that anybody who isn't at least decently quantitatively competent (so a lot of lawyers) would have serious difficulty getting through an MBA program. I was shocked at how bad some people in my law school were at math--not even complex math, but basic arithmetic.

I will say that my school does not have GND, so I imagine that someone's experience would be different at other schools. Also, the above comment was only about the required classes: the electives are generally very easy. The electives are the only MBA classes open to law students, which probably affects law students' perception of MBA programs as a whole.
Your experience sounds very different from what I know about the business schools at my and a friend's T14 institutions, probably for the GND reason. The MBA coursework was a joke. I'm also not sure that you can extend "electives are the only MBA classes open to law students" to every top school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:01 am
Luka4MVP wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Your experience sounds very different from what I know about the business schools at my and a friend's T14 institutions, probably for the GND reason. The MBA coursework was a joke. I'm also not sure that you can extend "electives are the only MBA classes open to law students" to every top school.
Yeah, I have a few good friends who were JD/MBA at HLS/HBS and they went to class the minimum number of times required for credit and did no assigned work for their MBA classes cuz GND is so strong and the MBA grades were not factored into their law school gpa.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”