Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
AJaKe

Bronze

Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by AJaKe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lily

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by Lily » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:03 pm

I have heard bad things about Harbin Terrace (it's on Pensacola); however, all the reviews on GoogleMaps are good, so maybe things have changed?

Don't live in Polo Club. The places are nice, but it's a big undergrad "party" kind of place.

While it is over a mile from the law school, I used to live in one of those complexes on White Drive (near Vinyl Fever) and I loved it there. Under new management, I imagine, but it's a nice location and you can walk to Bagel Bagel, Los Compadres, and Gold's Gym.

If you can get a roommate, you can rent a house for cheap.

Stay away from Palms of Magnolia.

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:33 pm

AJaKe wrote:Just put down my seat deposit! Pending some waitlist movement I will attending FSU!

GO NOLES!

I went there for UG, but being 2 years out I have forgoten about the local apartments. Anyone know of any good, cheap, ones. I've heard from a lot of current FSU students that say the "Jefferson Arm" apartments just across the street from the law school campus are small and naaaasty.
Looks like I will most likely be seeing you there next year. I am currently looking for some condo's to buy to invest in so I have something to show for paying 3 years to live somewhere. I want to live in the nicest part of town possible. No ghetto for me.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:47 pm

unfgolfer14 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:Just put down my seat deposit! Pending some waitlist movement I will attending FSU!

GO NOLES!

I went there for UG, but being 2 years out I have forgoten about the local apartments. Anyone know of any good, cheap, ones. I've heard from a lot of current FSU students that say the "Jefferson Arm" apartments just across the street from the law school campus are small and naaaasty.
Looks like I will most likely be seeing you there next year. I am currently looking for some condo's to buy to invest in so I have something to show for paying 3 years to live somewhere. I want to live in the nicest part of town possible. No ghetto for me.
The nicest parts of town are North of Tally (Killearn, Golden Eagle), but I don't know if there are just houses or condos, too. A bit of a trek from the law school campus, but compared to other cities, everything in Tallahassee is really close anyway.

There are a couple of new condo buildings under construction downtown, but I don't know when people will be able to move in. Probably not for awhile.

Anything near the main FSU campus (south of it) is referred to as the "college ghetto" so don't look at stuff there if that's not your bag.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The New Danger

New

Post by The New Danger » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 pm

i know that some state schools allow you to receive in-state tuition if you purchase a home when you move to the state. Does anyone know if FSU has this policy?

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl ... 3cce98177f

Maybe this might be of some help when thinking about where to live.....

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Waiting on one decision and potential for money on another, but 90% sure this is where I'm going to end up come Fall.

The New Danger

New

Post by The New Danger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Shockdaddy325 wrote:Waiting on one decision and potential for money on another, but 90% sure this is where I'm going to end up come Fall.
In a similar boat, waiting on two decisions and potential money. 95% sure i'll be at fsu

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:24 pm

So does the law school have a block for the football games?

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 pm

unfgolfer14 wrote:So does the law school have a block for the football games?
I have heard this to be true. It's not like it's been difficult to get tickets recently anyhow.

For all soon to be LitiGATORS also, I believe FSU has a club for law school students who happen to be former Gators. They may too have a block.

jcohen2615

New

Post by jcohen2615 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:21 am

so i got accepted last friday... can i ask a stupid question that is sure to provoke an obnoxious response from someone...

if fsu is the best school im in at, and im in state, should scholly's from other lower schools really make that much of a difference in my decision

onetheway

New

Post by onetheway » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:33 am

I went to FSU for undergrad. Mystic Woods off Pensacola is pretty good, I lived there last year and had a good experience. Very quiet and serene... perfect place for a grad student. Also, Polo on Park(?) is pretty much all grad students as it's not in the center of the hype.

Stay AWAY from: Polo Club, The Village (or Seminole grand or whatever they are calling it now, as they change the name every year) and the Commons...TOTAL NO NO!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool7548392

New

Post by lawschool7548392 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 am

I am considering going but don't know much about the area. I am way out of state. For those going, can you throw at me some facts that may motivate me to go and pay out of state tuition... hotness of chicks... job prospects... is a car necessary? climate(does it rain a lot?)... anything else that might give me a push to go, I am assuming I could establish residency after 1 year that would be a plus. Thanks!

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 am

Villa Milano is a small, quiet gated community with a good location-- right off Jackson Bluff and Hayden.

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 pm

For those with questions I have posted several times over here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =4&t=60030

There's only 36 posts, so its a quick read. I'm open to PMs for specific questions. Congrats to you all, and I hope to see you all next year.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:07 pm

While I'm thinking about this, take a look at places on College Ave just East of downtown. I was driving there the other day and saw a sign for a 1Bedroom/1Bath for rent, and it looked decent. It's probably a half to 3/4 of a mile from the Law School (I'm not gonna lie, though, there are some hills). It looked like a townhouse type situation, but it was a brick building, so it's probably pretty solid. You'll usually find a few 1/1s for rent along there. Not sure of price. If you're coming into town, look on Franklin, too; usually some small rentals there. That area is mixed business and residential.

Not for ungolfer14 (because he's looking for the ritzy neighborhood), but for others, there are some brand new condos in the All Saints area. This is just South of the law school and is walking distance. Very near a coffeeshop, nice bar, and sandwich shop. It is an area that is just getting developed right now and now would be the time to get in (while it is still affordable). This area, in my opinion, is shaping up really nicely.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm

I can promise that all of you who have been accepted will not be sorry. There are some condo's for sale a bit north of campus, just off of Monroe. I would also recommend you looking south. I have lived in Crawfordville during my time at FSULAW and I pay a bit less but get much more. ALso the drive from the south to campus is as fast if not faster than the drive from many places geographically closer.
Although one can argue that the education at FSU and UF are virtually the same, FSU offers something that no other school can, the state capital. That makes a huge difference. Between classes you can walk to the First DCA or even the Supreme Court to watch oral arguments, and you can walk to the Senate or House to watch those debates. FSU also has some truly amazing professors.
If any of you are still undecided, take the time to visit both schools, most who do pick FSU.
You can sit with other law school students at the football games but you don't have to. Student tickets are very easy to get and each student gets one for free.

tiger87

New

Post by tiger87 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I put in my seat deposit April 1st! How about a facebook group?

apere054

New

Post by apere054 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 am

Yay! I'll be at FSU in the fall. Very excited! I'm pretty sure I'll be living at Polos on Park.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:14 am

apere054 wrote:Yay! I'll be at FSU in the fall. Very excited! I'm pretty sure I'll be living at Polos on Park.
It looks like I will be joining you folks in the fall =)
So far, I've found a couple of places near campus on craigslist. I don't know how picky you guys are about living arrangements, but you can definitely find decent places in tally that are fairly cheap if you do a little looking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jcohen2615

New

Post by jcohen2615 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:15 pm

just paid my seat deposit... so, seriously, i'm going to law school next fall?

anyone have ideas where they are going to live?

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:18 am

im at FSU for UG now, and I live in a house in Southwood...there are townhomes and apartments for rent (or to buy, if you want to invest) and its super cute and pleasantville-ish. Its about a 20 minute drive from the law school. There are also studio apartments (called carriage houses) for rent...actually, i might be renting mine out if anyones interested...pm me.

My bf lived in Mystic Woods, its also nice, but the condos are tiny. Its definitely closer to campus.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Paying the seat deposit tomorrow!

Anyone else excited about school and also football season!!!

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:40 pm

The school is fantastic and football season is lots of fun. Most students at the law school are not as into football as you will usually find at UG, but that does not mean that it is ignored. Each student gets 1 free ticket and you can have them emailed directly to you and print them up yourself.

The school has increased the book allowence so you should be able to buy all your books out of financial aid. If you are buying a laptop, then you can do that as well out of student aid before it is released as well.

The cheaper used books go first so try to buy early. Also, try to get books with the least amount of highlighting as sometimes they won't be bought back. As an alternative to the school bookstore there is Bill's Bookstore across from the Ruby Diamond Auditorium.

Take the summer off and enjoy yourself and prepare for a fun and challenging 3 yrs.

Good luck

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”