Hastings Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
vb007

New

Re: Hastings Class of 2012

Post by vb007 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:48 pm

parisisburning wrote:for those of you accepted, congrats! im curious if you got a call from the dean or a letter in the mail notifying you of their decision?
the notified me by e-mail. i received the letter in the mail a few days later.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 am

Just got my McAllister housing letter in the mail. That took them almost 4 months, geez. I turned in my deposit a few days after getting my ED acceptance, way back in December.

kevin_m1221

New

Post by kevin_m1221 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm

REJECTED....
I can't say I didn't see it coming, but still frustrating. 75 dollars down the drain.
Plus I had been accepted at George Mason 2+ months ago, (because they are tied in the rankings) I thought I had a shot.
Still waiting on U of AZ though.... maybe I can go 2/3 on that 38 spot!

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Can someone tell me what financial forms I need to fill out for Hastings aside from the FAFSA. I'm filling out the 2009-2010 Financial Aid Supplement right now, do I also need to fill out the Need Access Application? Hastings fin. aid page says the Need Access Application is for prospective admittees only. Not quite sure what that means. Thanks!

blbs

New

Post by blbs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to defer, and if so what is required to do so? I know the website explicitly states no, but I've heard of people being able to at Hastings in the past few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LACatholic

New

Post by LACatholic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:47 pm

DCDeckard wrote:Can someone tell me what financial forms I need to fill out for Hastings aside from the FAFSA. I'm filling out the 2009-2010 Financial Aid Supplement right now, do I also need to fill out the Need Access Application? Hastings fin. aid page says the Need Access Application is for prospective admittees only. Not quite sure what that means. Thanks!
It just means that they don't want people who haven't been admitted filling out the need access. If you've been admitted then you should definitely fill out the need access (in fact they wont process your fin aid stuff without it).

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm

so i'm thinkin bout gettin an apartment in the east bay, prolly el cerrito or emeryville, somewhere close to the bart.

where are you guys thinkin of living?

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:56 pm

closer, but no idea yet.

living in la, i got sick and tired of commuting 1 hour to work each way everyday. for the past year i've been walking across the street to work and i love it. i'd like to keep my commute down to 15 mins or so.

only problem is i want to keep my car.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Dublin/Pleasanton for me

Yeah it's boring suburbia, but my SO works in the area.

I'd steer clear of Emeryville. New shopping zones and Ikea can conceal the fact that it is essentially Oakland in disguise. Check out Alameda...they have a ferry that goes to SF.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:04 pm

swheat wrote:Dublin/Pleasanton for me

I'd steer clear of Emeryville. New shopping zones and Ikea can conceal the fact that it is essentially Oakland in disguise. Check out Alameda...they have a ferry that goes to SF.

dublin/pleasanton isn't that bad. i guess i'll see you on the bart :P

emeryville near the stores is not bad at all. in fact, emeryville in general isn't bad at all. i know plenty of ppl that live there that haven't had any problems. i've lived in the bay my whole life. just keep an adequate street sense about you, and you'll be fine.

i appreciate your input though. my SO is one reason why i also considered hastings. gotta go where you'll be happy :)

kimins

New

Post by kimins » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 pm

jawsome wrote:Just got my McAllister housing letter in the mail. That took them almost 4 months, geez. I turned in my deposit a few days after getting my ED acceptance, way back in December.
me too--i got a studio--im looking forward to living five minutes away from school :mrgreen: --however, not too fond of the 16th floor :( --i'm afraid of heights so ofcourse life has to play cruel games like this with me....

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm

kimins wrote:
jawsome wrote:Just got my McAllister housing letter in the mail. That took them almost 4 months, geez. I turned in my deposit a few days after getting my ED acceptance, way back in December.
me too--i got a studio--im looking forward to living five minutes away from school :mrgreen: --however, not too fond of the 16th floor :( --i'm afraid of heights so ofcourse life has to play cruel games like this with me....
i got a 9th floor studio... ironically, i was hoping to be a little higher up :P

readereader

New

Post by readereader » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:50 pm

swheat wrote:Dublin/Pleasanton for me

I live in Alameda and will take this opportunity to say that Alameda is awesome if you love cute, quiet little towns. There's not just a ferry, there's the TransBay bus (slower? yes; MUCH cheaper? also yes) and a local bus to BART, and if you're really in a rush, you can drive to West Oakland, BART from there, for a total travel time of approx. 20 min from the West End of Alameda. Alameda is much safer than Oakland in general and MUCH less expensive than most of the safe Oakland areas. There is a winery and a vodka distillery and plenty of decent restaurants (no, it's not San Francisco, but it has a much wider variety than some of the more remote East Bay towns). I've heard people say that Alameda is conservative, but I moved here about a year and a half ago from North Carolina, and I have to say, it's only conservative compared to Berkeley. It's liberal compared to just about anything else, including the more remote East Bay towns (i.e. Dublin/Pleasanton).

In short, I super duper love Alameda. My partner and I bought a house and our property value is stable compared to the other places in the East Bay, too. Prices are much more reasonable there than they are in other (safe) places in the area, which remain more expensive than the rest of the country, even as they become half of what they used to be. Go Alameda! (I'm not being paid to advertise, either.)

EDIT: You probably don't want to live in Alameda without a car. You can walk basically anywhere on the island, but because it's an island, it really is just helpful. The other great thing about Alameda is that it's FLAT, which is rare around here, which seems like a silly thing to mention until you've walked around in San Francisco.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks readerreader!

They are right...Alameda is a really cool place to live

chaka19

New

Post by chaka19 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Any musicians out there? I am really excited to be moving to SF and I think it would be fun to play some music on the weekends.

ianchen

New

Post by ianchen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 am

I'm down, what kind of music you have in mind? I play a little guitar

jobobojo

New

Post by jobobojo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 am

San Francisco's legal business doing better than most cities'
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 51&rss=nlj

Hopefully this also reflects the health of the job market there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LACatholic

New

Post by LACatholic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:23 am

baycat80 wrote:so i'm thinkin bout gettin an apartment in the east bay, prolly el cerrito or emeryville, somewhere close to the bart.

I have a really good friend that lives in El Cerrito (who goes to SF State) and likes the area. Its cheap and allows her to commute into SF for school. I would personally rather live in SF so I can have the shorter commute (especially since I already sold my car) but its up to you. You get cheaper rent in the East Bay but longer commute times and a larger car culture.

One of the big reasons why I'm going to Hastings is that its located in SF so, for me, it would be crazy to go there and not actually live in SF

baycat80

New

Post by baycat80 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:58 pm

LACatholic wrote:
baycat80 wrote:so i'm thinkin bout gettin an apartment in the east bay, prolly el cerrito or emeryville, somewhere close to the bart.

I have a really good friend that lives in El Cerrito (who goes to SF State) and likes the area. Its cheap and allows her to commute into SF for school. I would personally rather live in SF so I can have the shorter commute (especially since I already sold my car) but its up to you. You get cheaper rent in the East Bay but longer commute times and a larger car culture.

One of the big reasons why I'm going to Hastings is that its located in SF so, for me, it would be crazy to go there and not actually live in SF

yeah, i have a good friend that lives in el cerrito and a friend that lives in emeryville, and they both don't mind the bart commute into sf. i'm also currently commuting to the city everyday from vallejo, but that drive is killer so i need something closer.

for someone that isn't from the bay, i can see why wanting to live in sf is such a big deal. i'd most likely feel the same way if i moved down to la. but i think you can still experience a lot of what sf has to offer, even u if don't live there.

granted, a couple lawyers i work with have strongly suggested moving into the city so as to cut commute time, and thereby, increase study time. i definitely think that's great advice. now if i can only find a place in the city that's cheap enough and has a parking space....

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Are you doing this for financial reasons? If so, Emeryville would not make economic sense (just as expense as SF) but El Cerrito could make it worthwhile, though that commute would be blah, imo.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:13 pm

kimins wrote:
I'm on the 13th in a quaint (I hope) "efficiency."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 pm

jawsome wrote:
kimins wrote:
I'm on the 13th in a quaint (I hope) "efficiency."
man, those are small. i hope you're not claustrophobic...

jm03

New

Post by jm03 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Does anyone know if you can defer admission at Hastings? I'm currently volunteering in Honduras and considering staying for another year.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:17 pm

jm03 wrote:Does anyone know if you can defer admission at Hastings? I'm currently volunteering in Honduras and considering staying for another year.
I think Hastings doesn't do deferrals. Check the FAQs on the admissions website...i think its discussed there

Outlawed

New

Post by Outlawed » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Any 1L's interested in sharing a 2 bdrm apt near school? Im trying to find a roommate. Drop me a msg via TLS and we can talk further. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”