Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
theuserdylan

New

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by theuserdylan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:23 pm

I wrote a generic PS w/o mentioning Iowa once and got accepted almost immediately. Of course, I'm in-state and my numbers are above the 75th percentile for Iowa. I was about to write an extra page onto the PS to answer the why Iowa question when I realized that I doubt it would much matter. Apparently it didn't. Time saved, penny earned.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:30 pm

theuserdylan wrote:I wrote a generic PS w/o mentioning Iowa once and got accepted almost immediately. Of course, I'm in-state and my numbers are above the 75th percentile for Iowa. I was about to write an extra page onto the PS to answer the why Iowa question when I realized that I doubt it would much matter. Apparently it didn't. Time saved, penny earned.
Congrats, dylan! Do you think you'll attend, given the in-state rates you'll get? (Not to mention the likelihood of a scholarship.)

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Would everyone going to the ASD please PM me? I have a request.

flosstadamus

New

Post by flosstadamus » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 pm

I just got my acceptance letter today and at the end of it the dean wrote

PS: Good problem solving skills.

Does everyone have something that says this. I wonder because I didn't really write at all about my problem solving skills or anything like that. I was so confused when I had read it.

purplemonkey

New

Post by purplemonkey » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:33 pm

That is exactly what my "personal" note said. Verbatim.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

flosstadamus wrote:I just got my acceptance letter today and at the end of it the dean wrote

Does everyone have something that says this. I wonder because I didn't really write at all about my problem solving skills or anything like that. I was so confused when I had read it.
I had a handwritten message about my "academic motivations." I recall several other people saying they had similar notes.

While I did write about my academic motivations for going to law school in my PS, his note was pretty generic.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:46 pm

pomona wrote:
flosstadamus wrote:I just got my acceptance letter today and at the end of it the dean wrote

I had a handwritten message about my "academic motivations." I recall several other people saying they had similar notes.

While I did write about my academic motivations for going to law school in my PS, his note was pretty generic.
Mine said "Good motivation" which does tie into my PS.

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Yeah, my acceptance letter had some "personal" message scrawled at the bottom too.

I also got a "why Iowa" letter detailing the various journals and clinics. One paragraph began "We are particularly interested in your experience with the U.S. Marines." I'm guessing someone has the job of going through the apps and inserting specifics like this into a form letter to make it seem more personal. For one, because the line was not really relevant to the rest of letter. For two, I believe Globetrekker received something similar, only with a reference to his/her work experience in place of "U.S Marines" Anyone else get one of these?

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:00 pm

scott82 wrote:Yeah, my acceptance letter had some "personal" message scrawled at the bottom too.

I also got a "why Iowa" letter detailing the various journals and clinics. One paragraph began "We are particularly interested in your experience with the U.S. Marines." I'm guessing someone has the job of going through the apps and inserting specifics like this into a form letter to make it seem more personal. For one, because the line was not really relevant to the rest of letter. For two, I believe Globetrekker received something similar, only with a reference to his/her work experience in place of "U.S Marines" Anyone else get one of these?
Yep, mine mentioned my job and tied it into some related programs at Iowa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:Would everyone going to the ASD please PM me? I have a request.
I wish I could go.

I was going to head over to visit Iowa this weekend but decided to cancel.

I'm going to have a hard time making a visit before April 1, and I don't think I'll be ready to make a decision by then.

Hence, I'm likely going to withdraw here soon. Not 100% sure but I'm leaning that way.

For those of you whom choose to enroll, Good luck.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:28 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:Would everyone going to the ASD please PM me? I have a request.
I wish I could go.

I'm going to have a hard time making a visit before April 1, and I don't think I'll be ready to make a decision by then.

Hence, I'm likely going to withdraw here soon. Not 100% sure but I'm leaning that way.

That's rotten, hois. Why not at least keep Iowa as a contender? Besides the need for the seat deposit, that is...

What are your other top choices?

NorseHawk

New

Post by NorseHawk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:29 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
pomona wrote:

Pft, loser. My motivation was "excellent"

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 pm

Their median salary is only 70k is interesting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 pm

NorseHawk wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
pomona wrote:

Pft, loser. My motivation was "excellent." And it complimented my academic curiosity.
Talk about a mood deflator...

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:39 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:
I wish I could go.

That's rotten, hois. Why not at least keep Iowa as a contender? Besides the need for the seat deposit, that is...

What are your other top choices?
The deposit thing is kind of big. They have to know by then for the scholarship as well. I was considering paying the deposit and then if I change my mind in the next month I'd eat the $250. However, I don't think I'm willing to do that and there is no way I'll be able to decide before April 1. I'm not even going to visit schools until March 30.

My Final Four are UM, NW, Cornell, and Vanderbilt. Now, if I get into UVA that would complicate things.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:42 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:The deposit thing is kind of big. They have to know by then for the scholarship as well. I was considering paying the deposit and then if I change my mind in the next month I'd eat the $250. However, I don't think I'm willing to do that and there is no way I'll be able to decide before April 1. I'm not even going to visit schools until March 30.

My Final Four are UM, NW, Cornell, and Vanderbilt. Now, if I get into UVA that would complicate things.
...given your options, I can see why you would withdraw, ha. Money aside, you've some damn good choices there. Think I'd take at least those first three as well. Well, good luck wherever you decide to go!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 am

Jwatson wrote:Their median salary is only 70k is interesting.
Because it is deflated considering 40% of students self choose to say in Iowa (opt out of big law). Their private practice salary average for out of state grads is significantly higher.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Just received a nice letter from the Dean talking about the clinics of the school and research institutes. I had a couple of sentences that were personalized regarding my work experience and how it relates to the opportunities mentioned, which I really liked. Also had the handwritten note on the acceptance letter, "excellent perseverance and motivation!". I really, really like this school! Seriously they go out of their way to show attention to admitted students. I must have gotten 5 or 6 letters from professors and Deans offering congrats and conveying info. Makes me look more forward to visiting next week!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:Just received a nice letter from the Dean talking about the clinics of the school and research institutes. I had a couple of sentences that were personalized regarding my work experience and how it relates to the opportunities mentioned, which I really liked. Also had the handwritten note on the acceptance letter, "excellent perseverance and motivation!". I really, really like this school! Seriously they go out of their way to show attention to admitted students. I must have gotten 5 or 6 letters from professors and Deans offering congrats and conveying info. Makes me look more forward to visiting next week!
Yeah, I get really annoyed when schools to which I didn't even apply send me a thousand things (looking at you, Case Western...), but that they sent me a few different e-mails from different people congratulating me and informing me about the school, plus the personalized touches on my acceptance letter really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Even if they do it for everyone, not too many schools personalize the letters for their admits. Makes me feel wanted...

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:Just received a nice letter from the Dean talking about the clinics of the school and research institutes. I had a couple of sentences that were personalized regarding my work experience and how it relates to the opportunities mentioned, which I really liked. Also had the handwritten note on the acceptance letter, "excellent perseverance and motivation!". I really, really like this school! Seriously they go out of their way to show attention to admitted students. I must have gotten 5 or 6 letters from professors and Deans offering congrats and conveying info. Makes me look more forward to visiting next week!
Yeah, I get really annoyed when schools to which I didn't even apply send me a thousand things (looking at you, Case Western...), but that they sent me a few different e-mails from different people congratulating me and informing me about the school, plus the personalized touches on my acceptance letter really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Even if they do it for everyone, not too many schools personalize the letters for their admits. Makes me feel wanted...
Haha exactly... this and that youtube video we found of the women that proudly promote the U of Iowa through their bikinis are really selling me on the school....

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:51 pm

What all tax forms did you send in with your IVF?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:09 pm

I have to agree on the Case Western e-mails. They sent me like 3 in one day! It's smells of desperation. To answer the question posed to me a week ago. I was pretty set on attending Iowa thus I was hanging around this thread about a week ago. Of course, I was convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere else. It's a great way to temper expectations.

Then I got into UCLA. However, the same day I also got a full ride offer from Iowa. So now I'm awash in spreadsheets calculating loan payments versus median salaries.

I'll need to visit to make a final decision. Most people around Iowa that I've told think I'm stupid to not take a full ride. Then again most people on these forums think I'm stupid to consider a Iowa over a higher ranked school.

Decisions are tough.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm

isustudent wrote:What all tax forms did you send in with your IVF?
You got yours? They still don'thave my FAFSA :| Anyone else still waiting?

scott82

Bronze

Post by scott82 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:40 pm

isustudent wrote:What all tax forms did you send in with your IVF?
Just my federal return.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:52 pm

theuserdylan wrote:I have to agree on the Case Western e-mails. They sent me like 3 in one day! It's smells of desperation. To answer the question posed to me a week ago. I was pretty set on attending Iowa thus I was hanging around this thread about a week ago. Of course, I was convinced I wasn't going to get in anywhere else. It's a great way to temper expectations.

Then I got into UCLA. However, the same day I also got a full ride offer from Iowa. So now I'm awash in spreadsheets calculating loan payments versus median salaries.

I'll need to visit to make a final decision. Most people around Iowa that I've told think I'm stupid to not take a full ride. Then again most people on these forums think I'm stupid to consider a Iowa over a higher ranked school.

Decisions are tough.
+1. Same issue. I had basically decided on Iowa until I got a small scholarship from a T10. I decided I wasn't going to pay full price anywhere, but now I'm trying to balance debt (alot but less than full sticker) vs. prestige. Then also considering that the debt from the higher ranked school still forces you into a certain type of job. If you are 125k in debt, you can't take the job paying 85k that offers a better work/life balance, you have to try and get the 140k job that will work you to death.

I keep going back and forth thinking I will withdraw then thinking I may go. At this point, I may hedge by paying the deposit at Iowa, visiting the other school and see if they can get me over the debt issue.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”