Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cogito

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Cogito » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm almost 100% sure I'm UT Law bound for this fall, and I'm not saying this will necessarily be a strong deterring factor in my decision, but is anyone else at all troubled by the recent surge in right wing fervor in Texas? Governor Perry recently attended an anti-tax "tea party" where, among other things, Perry decried the federal government's abandonment of founding principles, etc. (link here: --LinkRemoved--). Most disturbing of all is how many of the people at the rally actually want Texas to secede, and Perry himself has said some pretty suggestive things along those lines. For instance, "..if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

I'm not saying I think Texas will secede, but how much of this anti-federal government rhetoric from the state is genuine and how much of it is simply populist sloganeering for the upcoming gubernatorial election? Thoughts?

EDIT: another link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21295.html

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Put me down for UT Class of 2012, although begrudgingly considering my scholarship matching request was denied...

In response to above:
First, I think it's a little strong to classify a move to secede from the U.S. as "right wing fervor". Second, it's politics... enough said?

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:55 pm

mlloyd wrote:Put me down for UT Class of 2012, although begrudgingly considering my scholarship matching request was denied...

In response to above:
First, I think it's a little strong to classify a move to secede from the U.S. as "right wing fervor". Second, it's politics... enough said?
+1... i am feeling a little hurt that they didn't up my scholarship any

Elms

Bronze

Post by Elms » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:05 pm

aaa111 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:Put me down for UT Class of 2012, although begrudgingly considering my scholarship matching request was denied...

In response to above:
I felt the same way... and withdrew, haha. Northwestern seemed a lot more interested in me. But good luck and best wishes to all those attending UT. It really does seem like an awesome school!

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Elms wrote: I felt the same way... and withdrew, haha. Northwestern seemed a lot more interested in me. But good luck and best wishes to all those attending UT. It really does seem like an awesome school!
It does seem like an awesome school... which is why I wanted them to give me more $$ so I could really justify choosing it over nyu. ... now I'm back to square one again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Elms wrote:
aaa111 wrote:

In response to above:
I felt the same way... and withdrew, haha. Northwestern seemed a lot more interested in me. But good luck and best wishes to all those attending UT. It really does seem like an awesome school!
+Bonus points

UT was literally the only school I seriously considered that showed NO interest in having me as a student there (see hurt feelings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGtY_gQiwo). For better or worse though, UT is undeniably the best fit for my fiancee and I.

I guess I feel better knowing that the admissions office is not necessarily an indication of the faculty or student body, so I'll be done dealing with them when school starts. Or maybe I'll just NOT donate the money to the school that I would have until it totals the tuition scholarship I SHOULD have had. :idea:

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 am

hehe, this is really classy, mr. perry :roll:
"I'm not sure you're a bunch of right wing extremists, but if you are, I'm with you," said Gov. Rick Perry
--LinkRemoved--

Cogito

New

Post by Cogito » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:24 am

chadstew55 wrote:hehe, this is really classy, mr. perry :roll:
"I'm not sure you're a bunch of right wing extremists, but if you are, I'm with you," said Gov. Rick Perry
--LinkRemoved--
Yeah, so what's all this talk I hear about "oh no, don't worry, Austin is nothing like what you imagine Bush/texas to represent. It's a progressive place, etc." I mean, my worry isn't even entirely ideological. If I were going to UC Berkeley and there were mass rallies in SanFran of liberals yelling "california should secede from the union b/c of the imperial wars etc etc.", and Schwarzenegger was up there cheering them on, I'd find it just as troubling (almost).

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 am

Cogito wrote:I'm almost 100% sure I'm UT Law bound for this fall, and I'm not saying this will necessarily be a strong deterring factor in my decision, but is anyone else at all troubled by the recent surge in right wing fervor in Texas? Governor Perry recently attended an anti-tax "tea party" where, among other things, Perry decried the federal government's abandonment of founding principles, etc. (link here: --LinkRemoved--). Most disturbing of all is how many of the people at the rally actually want Texas to secede, and Perry himself has said some pretty suggestive things along those lines. For instance, "..if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot."

I'm not saying I think Texas will secede, but how much of this anti-federal government rhetoric from the state is genuine and how much of it is simply populist sloganeering for the upcoming gubernatorial election? Thoughts?

EDIT: another link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21295.html
As a Texan, I'd like to say a little about the alleged burgeoning "right wing fervor" here. I think that is really far from true. If anything, the right is losing ground in Texas, I mean Barry garnered 44% of the vote, which is decent for a solidly red state like Texas. Secondly, Perry is by no means representative of what most Texans feel. He received a paltry 39% in his 2006 reelection win. That should already indicate that his views or at least governing style is not in the majority here in Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:35 am

Cogito wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:hehe, this is really classy, mr. perry :roll:
--LinkRemoved--
Yeah, so what's all this talk I hear about "oh no, don't worry, Austin is nothing like what you imagine Bush/texas to represent. It's a progressive place, etc." I mean, my worry isn't even entirely ideological. If I were going to UC Berkeley and there were mass rallies in SanFran of liberals yelling "california should secede from the union b/c of the imperial wars etc etc.", and Schwarzenegger was up there cheering them on, I'd find it just as troubling (almost).
Also, keep in mind that probably the biggest conservative population in Austin works in politics as they're drawn from the rest of Texas. The protest was definitely not representative.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 am

When Kay Bailey Hutchison announced she was going to run for governor, she was ahead of Perry in the polls. This just sounds like Perry trying to sabre rattle/rally all the right wing folks to his side come election time. Don't put any stock in this 10th amendment or secession talk. It's just old fashioned politics.
Last edited by countbizaller on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 am

countbizaller wrote:When Kay Bailey Hutchison announced she was going to run for governor, she was ahead of Perry in the polls. This just sounds like Perry trying to sabre rattle/rally all the right wing folks to his side come election time. Don't put any stock in this 10th amendment or succession talk. It's just old fashioned politics.
Yeah, I'm not quite sure what Perry has done in his 9 years as governor......and Kinky is thinking of running in again in the next election (as a Dem)

sometimes, Texas politics can be quite entertaining.

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 am

mlloyd wrote:
Elms wrote:
aaa111 wrote:

In response to above:
+Bonus points

UT was literally the only school I seriously considered that showed NO interest in having me as a student there (see hurt feelings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGtY_gQiwo). For better or worse though, UT is undeniably the best fit for my fiancee and I.

I guess I feel better knowing that the admissions office is not necessarily an indication of the faculty or student body, so I'll be done dealing with them when school starts. Or maybe I'll just NOT donate the money to the school that I would have until it totals the tuition scholarship I SHOULD have had. :idea:

Perry is a moronic jackass. Take nothing he says seriously. He will likely be gone by the end of next election. Besides, the governor is just about powerless in Texas politics anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Perry is a moronic jackass. Take nothing he says seriously. He will likely be gone by the end of next election. Besides, the governor is just about powerless in Texas politics anyway.
Perry has done some good things for the state's business climate, but this posturing is the kind of stuff that is going to screw him in the general. It'll endear him to the far right, which is just about the only hope he has of beating Kay in the GOP primary, as she's supposed to whoop his a** (according to polls) and is popular with a much broader demographic.

Like I said, Perry has been good for the state in some ways, but if he really wants to do what's best for Texas he'll just drop this pretense (in which he acts like he could actually beat Kay and then a Democrat) and let Kay walk into the Gov. job.

Cogito

New

Post by Cogito » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks guys. I was starting to get a little worried about how I would fit into a "texas must secede" milieu. The background you've given has kind of made sense of some of this pre-election ruckus.

I plan on visiting Austin soon to see the UT campus and plan out where I might be living come august. Can anyone familiar with the Austin area give any advice as to which residential areas tend to be quiet and mellow and which are closer to the boisterous night life as I would strongly prefer the former...

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Cogito wrote:Thanks guys. I was starting to get a little worried about how I would fit into a "texas must secede" milieu. The background you've given has kind of made sense of some of this pre-election ruckus.

I plan on visiting Austin soon to see the UT campus and plan out where I might be living come august. Can anyone familiar with the Austin area give any advice as to which residential areas tend to be quiet and mellow and which are closer to the boisterous night life as I would strongly prefer the former...
Depends on how far you want to live from the school. Any preference?

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks guys. I was starting to get a little worried about how I would fit into a "texas must secede" milieu. The background you've given has kind of made sense of some of this pre-election ruckus.

I'm by no means an expert and all my knowledge is second-hand but here's what I've been told:

The Hyde Park and Far West areas are the more peaceful and decently priced ones. Far West is older, further away and cheaper. Hyde Park is closer to the law school but a bit more expensive.

West End (West Campus? I know there's a "West" in there) is the boisterous part. Supposedly a lot of frats around there and undergrads. I won't say much more because I don't know much else about it and you obviously wouldn't be as interested in that part.

Riverside is not to be lived in. Sketchy place.

These are all the "communities" I know of. None of them are in the downtown area which would be pricey to say the least for a good place.

For what it's worth, I'll likely be living in Far West.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aaa111

New

Post by aaa111 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Dont live in West Campus -- its undergrad city and really noisy on the weekends. Immediately north of campus is a cute area, which turns into Hyde Park, which is mostly homes inhabited by some undergrads, grad students, professors and regular families. Very cute. East of the school is probably cheap but means crossing the freeway (35) so for walking might not be that pleasant.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, my deposit is in. It looks like I'll be joining you all in Austin this summer! Glad the cycle is over!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Hook 'em. It needed to be said.

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 pm

lsatismybitchlover wrote:Hook 'em. It needed to be said.

Totally disagree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:12 pm

mlloyd wrote:
lsatismybitchlover wrote:Hook 'em. It needed to be said.

Totally disagree.
Awww, whats wrong?

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:14 pm

aaa111 wrote:Dont live in West Campus -- its undergrad city and really noisy on the weekends. Immediately north of campus is a cute area, which turns into Hyde Park, which is mostly homes inhabited by some undergrads, grad students, professors and regular families. Very cute. East of the school is probably cheap but means crossing the freeway (35) so for walking might not be that pleasant.
First, I totally agree that Hyde Park is a really nice area. It has very much of a neighborhood feel to it. Second, let me add that if you don't want to drive to school (you probably don't) then try to find a place close to a UT shuttle stop. They have maps of shuttle routes on their website. The UT shuttle is free for everyone and the Cap Metro (you'll have to find this route elsewhere) is free for UT Students.
Awww, whats wrong?
I just don't think it was necessary. I may never use this phrase as I'm coming from a Big 12 school myself (though UT is my 2nd favorite team).

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Awww, whats wrong?
I just don't think it was necessary. I may never use this phrase as I'm coming from a Big 12 school myself (though UT is my 2nd favorite team).[/quote]

Understandable. I am coming from A&M and am definitely having an identity crisis. Forgive me.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:27 pm

I wore a UT sweatshirt to work today, and my boss passed me in the hall and said, "Hook 'em!"

I remember thinking, "What a douche! He has no idea I'm leaving."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”