Yale Law School Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
KP429

Bronze

Re: Yale Law School Class of 2012

Post by KP429 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 pm

SparkyLives wrote:any big intramural people here? I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to field softball and flag football teams. At my UG the grad schools were always a little more successful by nature of no longer being teenaged...we should rake if we can get a good squad together.
Ready to dominate.

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:15 am

A few things in regard to questions you guys have floated:

* You won't get your "section"/small group (and other course) assignments until a few days into Orientation. That way, you mix with everyone at first and don't get exclusive too quickly. :) You DO actually have to "read" and sign a few forms in an official Registration session of Orientation, but it's basically just going through a line, picking up a packet, and finding out who your professors are.

* Because of that, you won't really be able to buy your books ahead of time [many professors use different books, there really isn't one set of assigned texts across different professors]. You'll have a few days post-Registration to either buy your books on campus (at the Yale bookstore or this independent book store called Labyrinth, with many of the professors use instead of the Yale bookstore) or try to quickly order them online. I'd say a good 80% of 1Ls last year just bought their first semester books at the local stores, but it's up to you - professors also have copies of the books saved on reserve in the library, so you could always photocopy the pages for the first few days, if you really wanted to order books used online.

A student group also hosts a used book sale during the first week of classes - you can generally find limited quantities of a lot (but not all) of the books you might need for your classes. Depending on your personal taste, you might find that the books available are an old edition or have lots of underlining...but in almost all cases, they'll still work and come at a great discount (I think $25 for each hardcover, $10 for each paperback?).

* Don't worry about Symplicity or trying to get RA positions any time soon. I don't know anyone who started RAing until the end of 1st semester, at least (many people don't even think about it until 2L year), and you won't need Symplicity until November-ish, when you start thinking about 1L summer jobs.

* If you've applied/been approved for all your loans and everything else financial aid-wise is in order, you don't need to worry about having a "bill" pending now. Your loans will be credited to your balance, and then you'll get a "refund" of any monies left over during the first couple days of school. If you have Qs about financial aid, I'd recommend calling rather than emailing the FA office - you're likely to get a quicker response.

In general, as you've probably noticed by now...YLS is really a very relaxed, casual place - and that includes dealing with incoming students administratively. At times it most certainly feels like you're floating without much direction, but things will sort themselves out and everything will be fine. :)

Can't wait to have you all on campus!
Last edited by rabbit9198 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

tinman wrote:
franfair wrote:
tinman wrote:Does anyone else have a termbill balance? I'm planning to pay my tuition bill with loans, but none of my loan information has appeared on Yale's ebill system. Our bill is supposed to be paid by August 3rd. I imagine I'm not the only one in this situation. Has anyone talked to the financial aid office about this?
I am still confused about this too--even after reading the new student information we received today.
Yeah, if it's not cleared up by the 3rd, I guess we will be on "Financial Hold." It doesn't sound like too terrible a fate, with no consequences before August 27th as far as I can tell,. My guess is that the system may update our financial aid information on August 1st. That's my hope at least.
OK, problem solved. My termbill now lists a credit balance.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks for the info rabbit!

Does anyone know when our health coverage started? I think I remember them saying Aug 1st at the ASW, but I don't remember seeing the date written in any of the forms we receive. Anyone know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tally72

New

Post by Tally72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:40 pm

tinman wrote:Does anyone know when our health coverage started?
Health coverage through Yale begins Monday August 24th (p.11 of the New Student Guide emailed on 7/29)
SparkyLives wrote:any big intramural people here? I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to field softball and flag football teams. At my UG the grad schools were always a little more successful by nature of no longer being teenaged...we should rake if we can get a good squad together.
Me! I'm hoping to play some intramural soccer, although I'm nervous to play co-ed again after playing all-women for the last few years. I'd be up for softball or flag football too.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Tally72 wrote:
tinman wrote:Does anyone know when our health coverage started?
Health coverage through Yale begins Monday August 24th (p.11 of the New Student Guide emailed on 7/29)
Great. Thanks!

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:30 pm

dontknowme, kp, and tally: nice. If I can get just four out of this place there for sure will be plenty of people to get teams together during the season.

looking forward to this

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm

SparkyLives wrote:dontknowme, kp, and tally: nice. If I can get just four out of this place there for sure will be plenty of people to get teams together during the season.

looking forward to this
Don't forget it's the most athletic people that cruise the internet forums.

I'd be down for football, by the way. Epicurus, Nadal, and Mario ... sounds like an unstoppable IM force.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm

tinman wrote:
SparkyLives wrote:dontknowme, kp, and tally: nice. If I can get just four out of this place there for sure will be plenty of people to get teams together during the season.

looking forward to this

I'd be down for football, by the way. Epicurus, Nadal, and Mario ... sounds like an unstoppable IM force.
Hopefully at least a few of you will be interested in playing in the annual HLS/YLS games, too - last year, our basketball team took a bit of a beating, so some fresh talent would be great!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:43 pm

rabbit9198 wrote:
tinman wrote:

looking forward to this

Hopefully at least a few of you will be interested in playing in the annual HLS/YLS games, too - last year, our basketball team took a bit of a beating, so some fresh talent would be great!
HLS/YLS games sounds like fun. When are they? And what events do they have besides basketball?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:07 pm

tinman wrote:
HLS/YLS games sounds like fun. When are they? And what events do they have besides basketball?
They're held during the annual Harvard/Yale undergrad football weekend - the third weekend of November.

Last year's post-Harvard/Yale recap:

To the Law School Community:

Having reported earlier on our Faculty Basketball win, I now have received a fuller report from our bloggers in Cambridge:

In the Student Basketball Game, Harvard 60- Yale 44. While our intrepid but outnumbered student team fell to a human wave of HLS players, moral victory was secured by our team' s support from 65 Yale Law Students, who traveled to the game to support our team. The YLS contingent vastly outnumbered their (fewer than 10) Crimson counterparts in the crowd, who were playing at home.

In the YLJ/ HLR Touch Football game: YLJ 20 - HLR 13. In the first play of the game, third-year student ZH went deep for an 80 yard touchdown turn. On the second play of the game, starting receiver JL broke his nose on a tough play on the outside, but we are advised that he is doing fine on the morning after.

In the Undergraduate football game, our offense was stymied, and Yale lost 10-0.

(And finally, while I am shocked, shocked to learn that some of our students engage in gambling, apparently our YLS poker team --featuring several former professional players-- also prevailed over its HLS counterpart).

Harold Hongju Koh
Yale Law School
Last edited by rabbit9198 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bearyfun

New

Post by bearyfun » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 am

I'm moving my stuff to New Haven on the 17th but then was thinking I'd just hang out in New York until closer to the 26th since I won't really have anything to do there. When is everyone else moving in? What are people who are there now doing all day??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:50 am

bearyfun wrote:I'm moving my stuff to New Haven on the 17th but then was thinking I'd just hang out in New York until closer to the 26th since I won't really have anything to do there. When is everyone else moving in? What are people who are there now doing all day??
Painting

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:11 pm

franfair wrote: I have been exploring New Haven (and surrounding areas)
have you found anything worth reporting?

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm

bgc wrote:
+1. walmart? ikea? walgreens? shaws? grocery stores are convenient?

also, spain pics?? :mrgreen:

[edit] okay, apparently i'm jumping the gun and you are still there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:04 pm

joshikousei wrote:
bgc wrote:

I just got to New Haven too (via Greece and Turkey). The Ikea is on the other side of the tracks from Union Station. For those without cars, it's walkable from Yale (though I would not recommend it at night), and they will deliver up to 15 items to your aprtment for $96 (including couches, beds, etc., but excluding kitchen items). There is a Walgreens next to Madison Towers (where I'm living), so that's convenient from any of the Towers.

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:43 pm

joshikousei wrote:
bgc wrote:

Walmart is a little far. I think the closest (especially to East Rock residents) is off exit 8 up I-91. Make a right off the exit and there's both a Wal-Mart and a Lowe's.

franfair

New

Post by franfair » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:38 am

Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Any of you have success in procuring furniture? How much should I expect to spend for a basic twin sized and a table/chair, would you say? How have you carless folks managed the furniture and such? I'm headed to NH in a week and could use all the advice you could give me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:31 pm

heyguys wrote:Any of you have success in procuring furniture? How much should I expect to spend for a basic twin sized and a table/chair, would you say? How have you carless folks managed the furniture and such? I'm headed to NH in a week and could use all the advice you could give me!
I've been going the Ikea route (going back today) but I've had access to a car to do it. They do offer delivery for a price. I'm a fan of Ikea because I don't plan to stay in the same apartment all three years so the ability to disassemble and reassemble furniture is important to me.

EDIT: You can rent a truck from Ikea starting at around $56 for two hours.
Last edited by DontKnowMe on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:00 pm

This is going to be great.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Finally headed to New Haven!

DontKnowMe

New

Post by DontKnowMe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 pm

heyguys wrote:Finally headed to New Haven!
95 degree heat awaits you

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”