Columbia Law School 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Silver

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Post by 06132010 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Lem37 wrote:No, no, no, I'm not worried about expense - I'm worried about laziness. Like, I love buying quality organic ingredients at Whole Foods, but then when it comes to cooking them, I'm like FUCK THIS.
Me too. I waste so much food.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:No, no, no, I'm not worried about expense - I'm worried about laziness. Like, I love buying quality organic ingredients at Whole Foods, but then when it comes to cooking them, I'm like FUCK THIS.
Haha, god help us if we're roommates.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed May 20, 2009 3:05 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Fairway:

http://www.fairwaymarket.com/

Cheaper, and better. Plus they deliver. You will never go to Whole Foods ever again.
Yea, Fairway is awesome. The Harlem Fairway is pretty close to CLS, and the original Fairway (Upper West Side, 74th and Broadway) isn't too far either.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm really lazy about most things - but I really enjoy cooking. I end up mostly doing things that are pretty quick, and I overspend on prepped raw ingredients to avoid having to do too much chopping. I also have to cut down on the amount of make, since when you live alone, leftovers last for too long.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Lem37 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
We'll use wine for sustenance!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm

sbalive wrote:I'm really lazy about most things - but I really enjoy cooking. I end up mostly doing things that are pretty quick, and I overspend on prepped raw ingredients to avoid having to do too much chopping. I also have to cut down on the amount of make, since when you live alone, leftovers last for too long.
Living alone? Oh that's right, you're thinking about getting a place in Jersey City, right? You should check out Hoboken too - it's a little closer to school, and like JC, it's really 20s-friendly down by the water. Fort Lee is even closer to CLS, but bridge traffic is a pain in the ass, and Fort Lee doesn't have as vibrant a 20-something population.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:
We'll use wine for sustenance!
Well then, god help everyone else in our building if we're (drunken, stumbling) roommates (read: winos).

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
sbalive wrote:I'm really lazy about most things - but I really enjoy cooking. I end up mostly doing things that are pretty quick, and I overspend on prepped raw ingredients to avoid having to do too much chopping. I also have to cut down on the amount of make, since when you live alone, leftovers last for too long.
Living alone? Oh that's right, you're thinking about getting a place in Jersey City, right? You should check out Hoboken too - it's a little closer to school, and like JC, it's really 20s-friendly down by the water. Fort Lee is even closer to CLS, but bridge traffic is a pain in the ass, and Fort Lee doesn't have as vibrant a 20-something population.
I think it was me that you were thinking of in regards to getting a place in JC (unless sbalive is, too). JC is hundreds cheaper than Hoboken and the downtown area is as cool as Hoboken. I cook A LOT (and I'm good--in case that entices anyone to join me in JC).

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 pm

No, I'm not the poster looking for a place in Jersey City. To clarify, I live alone now in a city where living alone in a nice apartment is only slightly more expensive than living in Harlem with roommates. I will presumably be living in a shared apartment, since I'm looking for the cheapest possible place (1L, I'd like to be close to campus, but 2L and later, I would definitely contemplate commuting if it works out that way).

I'm also not a 20-something 8) I'm definitely 20-s friendly though :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed May 20, 2009 3:28 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
I think it was me that you were thinking of in regards to getting a place in JC (unless sbalive is, too). JC is hundreds cheaper than Hoboken and the downtown area is as cool as Hoboken. I cook A LOT (and I'm good--in case that entices anyone to join me in JC).
Yea, my bad, I guess it mighta been you. Fair enough - and it's not like JC is that much farther from CLS than Hoboken is.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed May 20, 2009 3:29 pm

sbalive wrote:I'm also not a 20-something 8) I'm definitely 20-s friendly though :wink:
bwaahahahaha

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

I'm also in to cooking and have a lot of space at my apartment for cooking, drinking, studying and whatnot. Ideally it'd be nice to get a group of people together and take turns cooking once a week (it'd be both cheap and fun).

thrillhouse

Bronze

Post by thrillhouse » Wed May 20, 2009 3:39 pm

jmat wrote:I'm also in to cooking and have a lot of space at my apartment for cooking, drinking, studying and whatnot. Ideally it'd be nice to get a group of people together and take turns cooking once a week (it'd be both cheap and fun).
Is your place in NYC? I am definitely down to do weekly 1L dinners/whatever else we can think of.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed May 20, 2009 3:44 pm

jmat wrote:I'm also in to cooking and have a lot of space at my apartment for cooking, drinking, studying and whatnot. Ideally it'd be nice to get a group of people together and take turns cooking once a week (it'd be both cheap and fun).
A friend used to host this in college. It was nice and I miss it!

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 3:58 pm

thrillhouse wrote:
Is your place in NYC? I am definitely down to do weekly 1L dinners/whatever else we can think of.
It is, it's on the east side, but pretty easy to get to (and cheap cabs if people are coming in groups). I would definitely be up for this sort of thing once the year starts up. I have to say, I really like how community-oriented and friendly at least the TLS Columbia folks seem to be.

PS. As a totally arbitrary question, which sounds better as a post-work/pre-school activity, hiking in Peru or cross-country roadtrip?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 pm

jmat wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:
It is, it's on the east side, but pretty easy to get to (and cheap cabs if people are coming in groups). I would definitely be up for this sort of thing once the year starts up. I have to say, I really like how community-oriented and friendly at least the TLS Columbia folks seem to be.

PS. As a totally arbitrary question, which sounds better as a post-work/pre-school activity, hiking in Peru or cross-country roadtrip?
Depends how much time you have. I can't imagine you could spend more than 2 weeks bumming around Peru (it's a great place though). You could string out a road trip a lot longer.

If you have a relatively short amount of time, do Peru. If you have more time, I'd roadtrip.

Applicant7643

New

Post by Applicant7643 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:06 pm

jmat wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:

I'm doing a cross-country road trip with a couple friends before school. We planned it out and it looks like it will take about a month with 1 or 2 days spent in 10 cities plus driving. I can PM you the details if it would help you plan out your trip.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Antipodean

Bronze

Post by Antipodean » Wed May 20, 2009 4:09 pm

OK, I cave. I resisted the urge to post in "What Are My Chances?", I rode out the cycle without posting a predictions topic, I even resisted "Should She Bother?", but the lure of TLS is too great. I'm the irresponsibly social type anyway.

I know a few of the faces behind the handles already (jpaul09, I'm looking at you), and probably know a few more from the 4 different ASWs I hit. Every time TLS came up in conversations, more than half those present knew all about it.

I won't be arriving in the city until August 10, but I do have a bunch of bottles of wine to bring that'll need drinking up ASAP. You're not meant to age whites more than a couple of years, right? Also, if anyone wants any stuff from Down Under (Vegemite, Bundaberg, etc), let me know now and I'll see about picking it up.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Wed May 20, 2009 5:01 pm

jmat wrote:
thrillhouse wrote:

My best friend is in Peru right now. Fuck Peru.

jmat

New

Post by jmat » Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 pm

lex talionis wrote:My best friend is in Peru right now. Fuck Peru.
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Fuck Peru it is. On another note someone please tell me why this day won't end. As six o'clock approaches time has gotten slower and slower. It's a sad state of affairs.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed May 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Antipodean wrote:OK, I cave. I resisted the urge to post in "What Are My Chances?", I rode out the cycle without posting a predictions topic, I even resisted "Should She Bother?", but the lure of TLS is too great. I'm the irresponsibly social type anyway.

I know a few of the faces behind the handles already (jpaul09, I'm looking at you), and probably know a few more from the 4 different ASWs I hit. Every time TLS came up in conversations, more than half those present knew all about it.

I won't be arriving in the city until August 10, but I do have a bunch of bottles of wine to bring that'll need drinking up ASAP. You're not meant to age whites more than a couple of years, right? Also, if anyone wants any stuff from Down Under (Vegemite, Bundaberg, etc), let me know now and I'll see about picking it up.
Unless you are talking about desserty sweet white-brown. Sauternes age very well (apparently it can last more than 100+ years :shock:)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whyamidoingthis

Bronze

Post by whyamidoingthis » Wed May 20, 2009 5:33 pm

jmat wrote:
lex talionis wrote:My best friend is in Peru right now. Fuck Peru.
This is the best argument I've heard so far. Fuck Peru it is. On another note someone please tell me why this day won't end. As six o'clock approaches time has gotten slower and slower. It's a sad state of affairs.
Peru is amazing and I wouldn't say fuck it, but I suggest you go to Guatemala. I was just there for two weeks--cheap as hell to get to/travel around and absolutely GORGEOUS.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:37 pm

Unemployed wrote:
Antipodean wrote:OK, I cave. I resisted the urge to post in "What Are My Chances?", I rode out the cycle without posting a predictions topic, I even resisted "Should She Bother?", but the lure of TLS is too great. I'm the irresponsibly social type anyway.

Unless you are talking about desserty sweet white-brown. Sauternes age very well (apparently it can last more than 100+ years :shock:)
Bleh, whites. The only white wines I like are dry rieslings, gewurztraminer, or gruner veltliner (see tar). Most of the time, I'll pass. I like my reds (tempranillo, cab sauvs, malbecs).

EDIT: All this talk warrants a trip to a wine bar tonight. Mm.
Last edited by Lem37 on Wed May 20, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed May 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Lem37 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:

Bleh, whites. The only white wines I like are dry rieslings, gewurztraminer, or gruner veltliner (see tar). Most of the time, I'll pass. I like my reds (tempranillo, cab sauvs, malbecs).

EDIT: All this tlak warrants a trip to a wine bar tonight. Mm.
Malbecs just might seal the deal. Argentina/Chile FTW!

saveferris2785

New

Post by saveferris2785 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Lem37 wrote:This may be a stupid question, but is anybody contemplating signing up for on-campus meals (even just one per day)? I'm ashamed to admit that my parents are leaning on me to do this (they know I'm a lazy cook, and tend to revert to making sandwiches or ordering sushi). I'm hoping that, having roommates, we'll be able to go to Whole Foods together and switch off with cooking meals, but my realistic side says I might be screwed. ;)
Sorry to jump back, but I am considering getting a meal plan just because of convenience, has anyone been able to find any information on the different pricing options, and, more importantly, when and how someone would go through with the apparently horrible mistake of signing up for on-campus meals?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”