Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
IzziesGal

Silver

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:It seems like we're all being told they will be added "in the next few weeks," regardless of when we sent it in. =) I'm going to hold off on calling until next week, since the last email from Dean Tom (the one with the updated contact list) mentioned that we would be getting materials this week.

My SLR went though, but that's probably because I am out of state. Yours is for in-state, which will probably take longer to check into and process.
How did you know it went through? Maybe I am just missing it on BearFacts. Thanks!
Wow - BearFacts is running sllloooow today! This is the message I have when I click on the "SLR" tab:

You have already submitted an SLR for this term.
You will be able to view your residence classification on BearFacts when available.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us at:
The Residence Affairs Unit / UC Berkeley / Office of the Registrar 120 Sproul Hall Berkeley, CA 94720-5404
Phone: (510) 642-5990
Counter hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., M-F
Phone hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., M-F
Email address: ORres@berkeley.edu

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 pm

housing question: i've been looking on the berkeley website and such, but haven't found anything about this. a couple of the properties i've looked at on Craigslist mention being close to the UC berkeley shuttle, despite the fact that they're a pretty good distance from campus. anyone know anything about a shuttle? searching for good, close housing is so frustrating, so if anyone's found a decent complex or property management company, let me know. :)

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Amy, Izzies re: SLR processing - mine went through pretty quickly and I also think, a la Izzies, that it's because I claimed out of state. You can check your status by going to Bear Facts for Students > Personal > Personal Profile > Select Term "Fall 2009". Here's what mine says:

Fall 2009
As of: June 04, 2009 12:00 AM

General Status
Education Level MASTERS
Professional Level
Non-AP Level
Future (Telebears) Level MASTERS
Birth Date XX-XX-XX
College LAW
Major LAW
Term Status
Registration NOT REGISTERED
Units Enrolled 0.0
Academic Status GOOD STANDING
California Residency Status NON-CALIFORNIA RESIDENT
Reg Special Program NONE
Date Advanced to Candidacy
Degree Candidate NO

caveat: I don't know whether this page correctly reflects residency status for everyone who's submitted SLR's. In other words, it may be that the status may just reflect whatever is claimed on the SLR (and before the SLR is fully processed). HTH.

emilybeth re: housing - welcome to the club! I haven't found anything nearby and worthwhile that's cheaper than $1300 (for 1bdrm). I am therefore looking at places within reasonable commuting distance (public transportation). Do let us know what you can find out about shuttles/public transportation (in other words, I don't know much about them either 8) )

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey IzziesGal: you found another place after your asbestos-lined apt., correct?

If not, you don't happen to be looking at a duplex today, are you? I called the landlord yesterday to set up an appointment to see the place and he said he'd be showing it this AM to a woman from NJ. :)

My dad's going to be checking it out this afternoon. So if you wouldn't mind-- if it is you-- could you please pass on the place so I can finally have a decent place to live and my wife can actually start getting some sleep again? :wink:

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 pm

TopCat wrote:Amy, Izzies re: SLR processing - mine went through pretty quickly and I also think, a la Izzies, that it's because I claimed out of state. You can check your status by going to Bear Facts for Students > Personal > Personal Profile > Select Term "Fall 2009". Here's what mine says.
Thanks for that! Mine says the same. Ha - I didn't even see that drop down menu that lets you select a term.
Rotor wrote:Hey IzziesGal: you found another place after your asbestos-lined apt., correct?

If not, you don't happen to be looking at a duplex today, are you? I called the landlord yesterday to set up an appointment to see the place and he said he'd be showing it this AM to a woman from NJ. :)

My dad's going to be checking it out this afternoon. So if you wouldn't mind-- if it is you-- could you please pass on the place so I can finally have a decent place to live and my wife can actually start getting some sleep again? :wink:
Hahaha....it's not me. My hubby and I locked in a place in Emeryville, which we're really excited about. A cousin of mine went and visited it for us (we've explored Emeryville, but haven't seen this particular unit), since we really can't make another trip out there.

Good luck with the duplex - I'll cross my fingers for you!!! As a woman, I can tell you "Happy wife = happy life" lol...so it's in your best interest that your wife starts sleeping well again! :D

If it doesn't work out, I can PM you the link to the complex we will be living at. Just let me know!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:19 pm

My grad plus loan shows up on the Offer Letter page when I click Academic Year.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:48 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
feeblemiles wrote:My grad plus loan shows up on the Offer Letter page when I click Academic Year.
Not me. :( Was this a recent occurance?
I'm curious about this too.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:20 pm

IzziesGal wrote:"Happy wife = happy life"
:lol: :lol: :lol: So true...

Thanks for crossing your fingers. It looks like the place is ours (but I said that about the last place we had a lead on but the current tenant decided she wasn't moving; new place is vacant now, so that won't be a problem again.)

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:06 pm

feeblemiles wrote:My grad plus loan shows up on the Offer Letter page when I click Academic Year.
You do realize that now you're going to be stalked by everyone in this thread, right? :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:26 am

Woohoo I have a spot in the i-house for next year. I won't be pitching a tent in my aunt's backyard, which was my back-up option. 8)

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
You do realize that now you're going to be stalked by everyone in this thread, right? :wink:
Mine has also been added. I got an e-mail letting me know.

Go_Cardinals

New

Post by Go_Cardinals » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm

world traveler - just curious. When did you submit your housing app? I feel like I did it forever ago, but didn't get in.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 pm

madison12991 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Mine has also been added. I got an e-mail letting me know.
I think Finaid has managed to figure out who Amy and I are and they are purposely not adding our loans just to see us squirm. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:14 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote: I think Finaid has managed to figure out who Amy and I are and they are purposely not adding our loans just to see us squirm. :(
Yup, they are watching this thread and laughing at us as I type. :lol:
At least you're still in Bear Facts! Somehow I've been removed from the system completely: "You are not eligible to use this system. If you think this is an error and you are a student, please call (510) 642-5990."
worldtraveler wrote:Woohoo I have a spot in the i-house for next year. I won't be pitching a tent in my aunt's backyard, which was my back-up option. 8)
Me too! Decided on this over Manville...closer, more social, easier eating options. Just be aware that the law school calendar starts a week before I-House opens, so you'll have to request an early, early housing start (they offer early housing starting Aug. 17, but if you need it before then you have to write and request it). I'm excited! :)

river85

New

Post by river85 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Anyone know if we have been assigned student IDs yet, and if so where we can find them??

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:12 pm

river85 wrote:Anyone know if we have been assigned student IDs yet, and if so where we can find them??
ID cards? Or the 8-digit number that was printed at the bottom of one of the letters that came after the big admit packet? If the number, I needed it when working with the health care folks and couldn't find that paper. Finally found it buried on one of the telebears or IST sites (something along the lines of "account summary" or "account maintenance" IIRC.

Hope that helps.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:33 pm

amyLAchemist wrote: Yup, they are watching this thread and laughing at us as I type. :lol:
For some reason the "laughing" emoticon creeps me out. Sorry if this doesn't add any value to anyone reading this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! It's official!!! My GradPlus loans have hit Bearfacts!! I'm officially in enormous amounts of debt and am definitely going to law school lol......woot!

(I've had a few glasses of wine tonight.....which explains the "wooting.") :D

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 am

amyLAchemist wrote:WHY is the offer letter only available during the day? This is the internet, Berkeley. Ya know, it's this thing that people connect to with these magical devices called computers, that allow one to always see the these new-fangled things called webpages any time of the day that they like!
At least they haven't stolen our IDs yet... :o

Ya... the laughing guy is not so much LOLing as creepy nervous laughter... that or some sort of lip tremor :lol:

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:32 am

zabagabe wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:
IzziesGal wrote: I think Finaid has managed to figure out who Amy and I are and they are purposely not adding our loans just to see us squirm. :(
Yup, they are watching this thread and laughing at us as I type. :lol:
At least you're still in Bear Facts! Somehow I've been removed from the system completely: "You are not eligible to use this system. If you think this is an error and you are a student, please call (510) 642-5990."
worldtraveler wrote:Woohoo I have a spot in the i-house for next year. I won't be pitching a tent in my aunt's backyard, which was my back-up option. 8)
Me too! Decided on this over Manville...closer, more social, easier eating options. Just be aware that the law school calendar starts a week before I-House opens, so you'll have to request an early, early housing start (they offer early housing starting Aug. 17, but if you need it before then you have to write and request it). I'm excited! :)
Yeah I'm surprised we can't move in until the 20th. I have relatives in the Berkeley area so I think I'm going to stay with them until the 20th and avoid the extra charges. I barely own anything so it shouldn't be too hard to move in.

Go_Cardinals wrote:world traveler - just curious. When did you submit your housing app? I feel like I did it forever ago, but didn't get in.
I think I submitted mine in April. I know it was quite a while ago. I'm not sure if the timing really matters so much or if it's just that they're trying to get a mix of different people. That's too bad you didn't get a spot :(

Go_Cardinals

New

Post by Go_Cardinals » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:26 am

a different mix of people!? are you kidding me. what sense does that make? this isn't school admissions. it should be first come first serve.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:50 am

Go_Cardinals wrote:a different mix of people!? are you kidding me. what sense does that make? this isn't school admissions. it should be first come first serve.
I'm guessing the farther you live from Berkeley the better your chances? Totally a guess though based on previous experiences with other universities. Even though I doubt diversity plays a role, the system still may not be first come first serve if they account for distance traveled from current residence.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 am

TheNerdProject wrote:
Go_Cardinals wrote:a different mix of people!? are you kidding me. what sense does that make? this isn't school admissions. it should be first come first serve.
I'm guessing the farther you live from Berkeley the better your chances? Totally a guess though based on previous experiences with other universities. Even though I doubt diversity plays a role, the system still may not be first come first serve if they account for distance traveled from current residence.
It doesn't sound like a normal housing situation. It sounds like they also want a geographical mix of people, so distance from Berkeley probably plays a role. They have certain quotas of people they want from the USA and abroad, and I would imagine that within the Americans they select they don't want everyone from California or the East Coast. Just from the application itself it didn't seem like it was a normal dorm situation where you get a spot based on when you apply.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 am

worldtraveler wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
It doesn't sound like a normal housing situation. It sounds like they also want a geographical mix of people, so distance from Berkeley probably plays a role. They have certain quotas of people they want from the USA and abroad, and I would imagine that within the Americans they select they don't want everyone from California or the East Coast. Just from the application itself it didn't seem like it was a normal dorm situation where you get a spot based on when you apply.
Haha, I'm not sure they have any such grandiose ambitions: when I was asking them how likely I would have a place, it sounded like their considerations were whether you would live for a full year and when you applied (at least, those are the things they cited as making them think I would get a place). Then again, I don't know, cause I've also lived overseas and have a degree in international stuff. That said, I do think this isn't your typical housing - they care a lot about diversity and creating a specific sort of community. It's the reason why people choose small, cramped dorm rooms over sterile but more functional apartments. ;)

Is there any sort of waitlist? :(

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey Everybody,

I have a buddy who got an $80k matching scholly to Boalt and who firmly committed last week. However, my friend is STILL on two other waitlists (HYS and YLS), even though the terms of his firm committment were to remove himself from all other waitlists.

Can he get in trouble? More specifically, can he lose his scholly?

In case he can get in trouble, as a friend, I feel like I should say something. Thoughts?

TIA!

TNP

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”