Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
TheNerdProject

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by TheNerdProject » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:46 pm

unionorganizer02 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
Rotor wrote:
TopCat wrote:Uhh...Craigslist? :mrgreen: Don't use CalRentals, it's a waste of money. Good luck.
+1

Yes, it was only 20 bucks, but that would have paid for my weekly Starbucks frappuccino for a month!
Ha! Our apartment happens to be in a complex with a Starbucks....take one guess where all that GradPlus money is going. :wink:
that is so tempting!! despite the ubiquity of coffee shops at berkeley, i plan on investing in a french press. i already have a small coffee bean grinder. the french press will allow me to make fresh coffee fairly quickly every day. i should probably invest in some teeth whitening strips as well. :mrgreen:
Am getting me a K-Cup machine. Had one at my last job and $30 of K-Cups lasted me about 2-3 months. I drink 1-2 cups a day.

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:53 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
Am getting me a K-Cup machine. Had one at my last job and $30 of K-Cups lasted me about 2-3 months. I drink 1-2 cups a day.
what is that?

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 am

unionorganizer02 wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
what is that?
It's a coffee machine:
--ImageRemoved--

It only takes "K-Cups," which are little plastic cups with ground coffee
--ImageRemoved--

Each cup is good for one cup of coffee, and I can buy like 24 K-Cups for $10.99, which roughly comes out to $0.50 a cup. Best part about it is that the coffee is REALLY good. Worst part about it is that the K-Cups are not recyclable. :(

Here's one of my favorites, Emeril's Big Easy Bold:

For more info, check out http://www.coffeecow.com or http://www.keurig.com

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:05 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
My old condo building had one of these in the juice bar. This machine is awesome. Expensive, but awesome.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:13 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
My old condo building had one of these in the juice bar. This machine is awesome. Expensive, but awesome.
You can get one of these for $80. The average Starbucks customer spends about $5.90 per visit, which means the machine pays for itself in 2-3 weeks (~14 visits, 15 if you count the $.50/K-Cup expense).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:23 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
You can get one of these for $80. The average Starbucks customer spends about $5.90 per visit, which means the machine pays for itself in 2-3 weeks (~14 visits, 15 if you count the $.50/K-Cup expense).
No kidding!!!! The condo staff members told the tenants that the machine was very expensive (in the price range of those fancy espresso machines expensive). I never looked into it, because I didn't care enough at the time. I just took their word that it was way out of my budget. :D

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
TheNerdProject wrote:
No kidding!!!! The condo staff members told the tenants that the machine was very expensive (in the price range of those fancy espresso machines expensive). I never looked into it, because I didn't care enough at the time. I just took their word that it was way out of my budget. :D
There are different models so maybe they had an expensive commercial model?

For home use the machines range in the $80-$300 range. My boss bought one for ~$120 and it worked great so that's the one I'm going with.

Check out these links:
http://www.coffeecow.com/PublicPages/Pr ... egoryID=40

Keurig Model Comparison Link (the other link I posted didn't work as I expected):
--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by TheNerdProject on Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:28 pm

TheNerdProject wrote: There are different models so maybe they had an expensive commercial model?

For home use the machines range in the $80-$300 range. My boss bought one for ~$120 and it worked great so that's the one I'm going with.

Check out these links:
http://www.coffeecow.com/PublicPages/Pr ... egoryID=40
--LinkRemoved--
Quite possible. Thanks for the links!!

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:58 pm

Tea, anyone? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:37 pm

TopCat wrote:Tea, anyone? :P
Yes, please. I don't drink coffee but I do go through a lot of tea.

TopCat

Bronze

Post by TopCat » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
I like milk tea with cinnamon and nutmeg on a regular basis. On a rainy day, chai is good. I also am partial to plain loose-leaf black tea, especially Darjeeling tea or Assam tea. My country also produces some fine black tea and am partial to the stuff I get from back home. I like them with honey and freshly squeezed lemon - the best thing to drink when suffering from cough and cold. As to the green teas, I am OK with any of the premium ones (tea bags) found in the stores. I have yet to develop my views about Oolong tea. It fails to really pique my interest but at the same time when I start sipping it (especially in Chinese restaurants) I can't seem to stop.

Coffee drinkers pwned :wink:

purplebanana

New

Post by purplebanana » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:10 am

sorry for the topic hijack, but International House is right near all of the frats, isn't it? Anyone know if it's loud? It sounds like a cool place to live, assuming there are still spots open, but I don't really want to be by loud, drunk frat people.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:19 am

purplebanana wrote:sorry for the topic hijack, but International House is right near all of the frats, isn't it? Anyone know if it's loud? It sounds like a cool place to live, assuming there are still spots open, but I don't really want to be by loud, drunk frat people.
I don't think there are any spots left. They just gave out contracts for the fall semester and not everyone that applied got one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:57 am

TopCat wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
I like milk tea with cinnamon and nutmeg on a regular basis. On a rainy day, chai is good. I also am partial to plain loose-leaf black tea, especially Darjeeling tea or Assam tea. My country also produces some fine black tea and am partial to the stuff I get from back home. I like them with honey and freshly squeezed lemon - the best thing to drink when suffering from cough and cold. As to the green teas, I am OK with any of the premium ones (tea bags) found in the stores. I have yet to develop my views about Oolong tea. It fails to really pique my interest but at the same time when I start sipping it (especially in Chinese restaurants) I can't seem to stop.

Coffee drinkers pwned :wink:
I do love my coffee....but my usual Starbucks drink is an iced chai. There's nothing better than that. :D

CredoUtIntellegam

New

Post by CredoUtIntellegam » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't remember seeing anyone mention this so here it goes. I know some law schools provide a one time loan for laptops, does Berkeley? I don't currently have a laptop and would like to know how to get a loan for one without it cutting into my loans for living expenses. Should I just ask for more loan money from the financial aid office?

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:02 pm

CredoUtIntellegam wrote:I don't remember seeing anyone mention this so here it goes. I know some law schools provide a one time loan for laptops, does Berkeley? I don't currently have a laptop and would like to know how to get a loan for one without it cutting into my loans for living expenses. Should I just ask for more loan money from the financial aid office?
I don't think Berkeley provides loans for laptops. What I believe you need to do is to get them to increase your budget so you can get more stafford and/or grad plus loans, depending on how much you're already borrowing.

However, the budget appeal form for 2009-2010 is not available yet. Here's the link to the 2008 form so you can get an idea of what they ask for: http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/und ... ad0809.pdf

The new form should be posted on this website later on this summer:
http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/graduates/forms.htm

Hope this is helpful.

CredoUtIntellegam

New

Post by CredoUtIntellegam » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:01 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
CredoUtIntellegam wrote:I don't remember seeing anyone mention this so here it goes. I know some law schools provide a one time loan for laptops, does Berkeley? I don't currently have a laptop and would like to know how to get a loan for one without it cutting into my loans for living expenses. Should I just ask for more loan money from the financial aid office?
I don't think Berkeley provides loans for laptops. What I believe you need to do is to get them to increase your budget so you can get more stafford and/or grad plus loans, depending on how much you're already borrowing.

However, the budget appeal form for 2009-2010 is not available yet. Here's the link to the 2008 form so you can get an idea of what they ask for: http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/und ... ad0809.pdf

The new form should be posted on this website later on this summer:
http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/graduates/forms.htm

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks. This was helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Okay, roll call for dates that we will all arrive in the Bay Area. I'll start: July 20th

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:59 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:August 1st for me. :mrgreen:

Also, does anyone know if we can now decline the loans we already accepted? I borrowed a bit too much. Thanks!

Has anyone been able to get ahold of fin aid? They don't seem to be answering their phones....
I was going to suggest calling Candi and giving her the new loan amount that you would like. I am pretty sure we have to do everything through her, and then she will make the adjustments on our behalf.

I haven't tried calling finaid, but maybe try sending Candi an email directly. She has been my lifeline through this whole thing!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:13 pm

On or about Aug 6 for me.

Also: who is Candi? It's not a name I recognize and I'm thinking maybe the reason some of my FinAid questions have yet to receive a reply is that I'm writing the wrong folks.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Candi is one of the main contacts from the finaid office....PM me for the email addy!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Okay, roll call for dates that we will all arrive in the Bay Area. I'll start: July 20th
Late on August 3rd.

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 pm

I know that part of our orientation is having time to get our student ID, but does anyone know whether we can do this before orientation? Given that I'll be there in the first few days of August, it would be nice to be able to use the gym, buses, etc.

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Has anyone been able to figure out exactly how much we're going to be billed by the school for the first semester?

Also, I just applied to waive my SHIP. Anyone else done this yet / planning to?

unionorganizer02

New

Post by unionorganizer02 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm

feeblemiles wrote:Has anyone been able to figure out exactly how much we're going to be billed by the school for the first semester?

Also, I just applied to waive my SHIP. Anyone else done this yet / planning to?
What is the SHIP?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”