UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cavalier

Gold

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

We now have exactly three times as many pages as the Harvard thread!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:36 pm

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
limegreen wrote:
showNprove wrote: I found it, and I see "Anticipated Aid" but nothing about anticipated credits.

Are your due dates on August 9?

Also, if someone wants to verify this for me:

1. Sign into SIS, which should load to the "Student Center" page.
2. In the "Finances" section in the middle of the page, under "My Accounts," click on "Account Inquiry" (it should be right above the "QuikPay@UVA" link).
3. It should load to "Summary" page, and at the bottom, click the link for "Financial Aid."
4. Click the link "2010."
5. In the "Terms" section towards the bottom of the page, under "Fall 2009," click on "View Scheduled Disbursement Dates."

Are the dates listed as 08/09/2009 for you, too?
Yes, mine says 8/09/2009.
Mine also says 08/09/2009.

My QuikPay bill (accessed through the QuikPay@UVA link on under "My Accounts" on the UVA, and then under "Current Statement" which is under "View Accounts" in the pop-up window) though has a listing for "Anticipated Credits" at the bottom and then lists my loans and loan amounts as line items (with negative values so as to decrease the bill). For me, it's located just below "Credits" (which has a line item of -$1000 for "Adm Deposit - Law"). If you have a scholarship, it'd be presumably in "credits" or "anticipated credits."
I see what you're referring to now. Thank you.

As for the 08/09/2009 disbursement date--I guess the loans will be disbursed on the same day they are due. I hope nothing gets messed up...

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Unfortunately it appears that financial aid in excess of tuition and fees will not be disbursed until after final registration. Damn. I am going to be broke by that time. I might have to take out a small bridge loan from the Bank of Dad. It better be interest-free.

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:44 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:Unfortunately it appears that financial aid in excess of tuition and fees will not be disbursed until after final registration. Damn. I am going to be broke by that time. I might have to take out a small bridge loan from the Bank of Dad. It better be interest-free.

I thought if we got the direct deposit form in this wasn't the case?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 pm

iceberger wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:Unfortunately it appears that financial aid in excess of tuition and fees will not be disbursed until after final registration. Damn. I am going to be broke by that time. I might have to take out a small bridge loan from the Bank of Dad. It better be interest-free.

I thought if we got the direct deposit form in this wasn't the case?
"Any financial aid resources in excess of University charges will be refunded to the student once final university registration is complete."

If you have direct deposit, you'll get it sooner than if you don't (they have to wait anohter 7-10 days), but still not until final registration is complete. I'm not sure exactly what day that is though, I'm guessing around the 17th.

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:54 pm

I had Direct Deposit last year and my money was deposited on August 25.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:00 pm

gladiator wrote:I had Direct Deposit last year and my money was deposited on August 25.
Son of a...

If anybody is looking for me at orientation, I'll be this guy:

--ImageRemoved--

Various security deposits have all but wiped out what little funds my unemployed ass had left.

TheJenkyJenky

New

Post by TheJenkyJenky » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 pm

As a corollary to the last point, you may want to work on getting your nerves under control. UVA is a fairly laid-back place filled with chill people. But it's still a law school, and the atmosphere occasionally turns tense. Around the times of major LRW deadlines, journal tryouts, and especially exams, many of your classmates will be studying hard, and some may start freaking out. You don't want to let stress get the best of you - a little can be motivating, but too much can be distracting and therefore counterproductive.

Part of doing well in law school (and I suspect law practice) is learning to effectively manage stress. Another part is maintaining your energy throughout each semester so you can fire on all cylinders come exams. For me, top-law-schools.com involves a decent amount of daily studying with lots of breaks taken in between. Downtime involves things I really enjoy, like hanging out with classmates, drinking beer, cooking, playing Rock Band, playing real guitar, and watching my favorite TV shows. Doing these things rests my brain and helps me maintain balance, which in turn makes me more productive during "work time."

Find the routine that facilitates doing your very best in school. And remember that this probably involves having more fun than you might have otherwise thought. Anecdotally, I know plenty of rising 2Ls on Law Review who were also Feb Club regulars.[/quote]

You're totally right, man. I appreciate you putting it in perspective, no bs. I'm done with the freaking out.

Who here got insurance on their own from Anthem or something else comparatively cheap and who's rocking the UVA Aetna rip off? Both the law school suggested computer bundle and the health insurance seem so damn overpriced.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Jim_Stansel wrote:
gladiator wrote:I had Direct Deposit last year and my money was deposited on August 25.
Son of a...

If anybody is looking for me at orientation, I'll be this guy:

--ImageRemoved--

Various security deposits have all but wiped out what little funds my unemployed ass had left.
+1 lol... I'd look like that except I'm getting a credit card with 0% APR for the first 3 months.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:55 pm

jasofbase2001 wrote:+1 lol... I'd look like that except I'm getting a credit card with 0% APR for the first 3 months.
What credit card? Did you already have established credit?

Earlier this year I tried to apply for some cards just to establish credit. I couldn't even get a secured card where you deposit funds into an account beforehand as collateral. I had a job (albeit very low-paying) at that point too. How ridiculous is that? I know credit is tight with the economy and all, but come on. They are GUARANTEED to get my money in the event of a default, but still won't approve me? The times they are a-changin'

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:58 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00 am

thesealocust wrote:
Jim_Stansel wrote:
jasofbase2001 wrote:+1 lol... I'd look like that except I'm getting a credit card with 0% APR for the first 3 months.
What credit card? Did you already have established credit?

Earlier this year I tried to apply for some cards just to establish credit. I couldn't even get a secured card where you deposit funds into an account beforehand as collateral. I had a job (albeit very low-paying) at that point too. How ridiculous is that? I know credit is tight with the economy and all, but come on. They are GUARANTEED to get my money in the event of a default, but still won't approve me? The times they are a-changin'
Try credit unions. They often have amazing rates... I turned 22 this week and have an 8.9% APR card w/ a 4K spending limit from USAA, and had little no savings/credit before applying for it (started at 1K limit, most start at 500).
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jasofbase2001

New

Post by jasofbase2001 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 am

The credit union sounds like a good plan. I have a good credit score with a short history, meaning I don't qualify for a lot of the better cards with cash back and all that.

However, if you go to http://www.credit.com, they have cards categorized for excellent, good, fair, bad, and no credit. Some have guaranteed acceptance. You're right though, times are a changin'. As an 18 year old with a $7/hour a job at Kmart, I went on a road trip to Boston and New York with my friends. We went to Fenway and Yankee Stadium and I applied for all sorts of credit cards at the games to get free shirts, hats, and teddy bears (for my gf, not for me). At my father's request, I cut the cards up when they came, but they did come. A broke 18 year old getting approved... and we wonder why we're in this recession?????

Anyway-- i've already had to borrow from the Bank of Dad, but I want my computer before school starts and I don't want to ask them for another grand, so credit card here I come.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:32 am

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 am

Maybe I should go into the August 1L short term loan business.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:56 am

Can we charge books to our UVA account or something similar if our excess loan money won't be deposited until after registration?

This really screws up my plans, as I'm a broke college grad without the option of going to the bank of dad. Looks like I'll be doing all of my moving-in shopping the weekend after classes start.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am

a.williams wrote:Can we charge books to our UVA account or something similar if our excess loan money won't be deposited until after registration?

This really screws up my plans, as I'm a broke college grad without the option of going to the bank of dad. Looks like I'll be doing all of my moving-in shopping the weekend after classes start.
That is a great question. How are we supposed to pay for our books?

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:29 am

Credit card

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:32 am

limegreen wrote:
a.williams wrote:Can we charge books to our UVA account or something similar if our excess loan money won't be deposited until after registration?

That is a great question. How are we supposed to pay for our books?
Indentured servitude at the bookstore.

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:49 am

I just applied for a Discover Student card, they're supposed to give me a decision in 5-7 days. I don't know why it takes them that long to say: "Fuck no."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:51 am

Jim_Stansel wrote:I just applied for a Discover Student card, they're supposed to give me a decision in 5-7 days. I don't know why it takes them that long to say: "Fuck no."
Did the same thing, got the same message.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:52 am

gladiator wrote:Credit card
Wow that sucks. I don't have a credit card so I guess I'm going to have to borrow money from my Mom. This is really ridiculous. They really should design the system so that we are able to pay for our own books.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”