Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
snickersnicker

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by snickersnicker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 am

Jeff Mangum wrote:Do they allow undergrads in the reading room?
Reading room and entire law library are open to the public. I studied for the LSAT there.

Nice avatar/name, by the way.

Go State

New

Post by Go State » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 am

Anyone find leasing a place in Ann Arbor for next year a pain in the ass? I am trying to sign a lease and for any places that I found that weren't complete dumps seem to have leases that end in the first week of September (since UG doesn't start until September 9th -- no idea if that's accurate but what some place told me). Law school start 8/31 and early interview week orientation starts 8/17, which is followed by orientation. So ideally I wanted to get moved in 8/14 weekend but am finding myself either with the option of leasing a place that sucks or trying to get a hold of an existing tenant and trying to get them to move out early and conveying that to the leasing office (i.e. I will be buying out the last couple weeks of the existing tenant's lease).

What is everyone else on here doing for housing to cover the first few weeks before anyone wants to lease out anything?
(I'm taking a wild guess here and assuming that 1L orientation begins 8/24 along with transfer orientation.)

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:32 am

tl wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
Anhimal wrote:How many classes do we take per semester? Do we get to pick an elective first semester?
No, there's no elective first semester

1L year, you take three 4 credit classes, plus Legal Practice (essentially a 2 hr class, but first semester they give you an extra credit). And then second semester a 2 credit (I think that's the new policy... it has to be 2 instead of 2 or 3) elective on top of that.
I was told that the new policy is that the elective is optional next year. I don't know how true this is though.
Oh cool. I hadn't heard anything about the new policy, I was just inferring it from the footnotes to the class schedule, since now the 3 credit classes that had been fair game for 1Ls in the past are off-limits. In any case, taking an elective as a 1L SUCKS, and no one should do it, if it's optional!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:35 am

snickersnicker wrote:
Reading room and entire law library are open to the public. I studied for the LSAT there.

Noooooo. Reading room is open to the public. The library is not. I'm not sure when you took the LSAT, but for part of last year they were strictly enforcing the closure of the library to the public, since undergrads were trying to get in more frequently due to the closure of the reading room for refurb. But it's always the policy, whether they check IDs every day or not. And law students get pissed about undergrads in the law library, especially close to finals.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:59 am

Regarding the 1L elective- what determines which courses are 2 credits and what are 3 credits? Is it the reading load, amount of papers expected in the course, or something else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:02 am

vyelps wrote:Regarding the 1L elective- what determines which courses are 2 credits and what are 3 credits? Is it the reading load, amount of papers expected in the course, or something else?
2 credit classes meet for two hours a week, and 3 credit classes meet for three. Generally. The reading should reflect that, but it doesn't always. Also, some profs try to make the final exam or the paper length reflect that, but again not always. Like I had a prof who said his rule was that the exam was 1 hr per credit hr, so a 3 hour exam for a 3 credit course. But I have most definitely not found that profs tend to go by that rule in general.

But again... taking an elective as a 1L SUCKS... if it is optional this year (no idea... just read that in this thread), DON'T DO IT! You just don't need any more work on top of your core classes, and getting good grades in those is very important.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 am

Random other question- for those you staying in the Lawyers Club- has anyone received any information about check-in/what is provided/what to bring? I'm getting a little anxious as I'm moving up there in 3 weeks and I haven't been given ANY information...

BrianEno

New

Post by BrianEno » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:01 am

But again... taking an elective as a 1L SUCKS... if it is optional this year (no idea... just read that in this thread), DON'T DO IT! You just don't need any more work on top of your core classes, and getting good grades in those is very important.
I don't know. It's always great to take an easy elective so you can have that extra A to boost your GPA.

AWT

New

Post by AWT » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:46 pm

vyelps wrote:Random other question- for those you staying in the Lawyers Club- has anyone received any information about check-in/what is provided/what to bring? I'm getting a little anxious as I'm moving up there in 3 weeks and I haven't been given ANY information...

There was info on this stuff with the lease.... copy and pasting from that:

Move-In Dates/Times
Your lease begins at 8:00am on Friday August 21, 2009
1L Orientation begins at 1pm on Wed Aug 26th.
Opening Check-In Hours: Aug 21 8a-8p; Aug 22/23 10a-8p; Aug 24-28 8a-8p; Aug 29/30 11a-7p.
Lawyers Club regular move-in begins at 8am on Friday August 21, 2009.

Early Arrival Program: Allows move-in during business hours from 8am Monday 8/17/09 until the beginning of the lease at 8am Friday 8/21/09. The fee for the Early Arrival Program is $120.00. This is a flat fee for any period prior to the beginning of the lease. See the Quick Guide for further information. Boxes, trunks, etc. should be sent in anticipation of arrival no earlier than 24 hours before the beginning of the lease. 1L orientation does not begin until 1pm on Wednesday August 26.

In order to accommodate upperclass residents during interview week, the Club offers an early move-in option. This room-only option is an additional $120 and allows lease-holders (including 1Ls who may wish to arrive prior to the start of the lease) the option of moving in between MONDAY August 17 and the start of the lease on Friday August 21.

Residents wishing to move in prior to 8am must meet the following conditions:
-Agree to an assessment of $120 (room only, for any part of the period prior to lease start)
-Check into the Club on Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu Aug 17/18/19/20 between the hours of 8am and 6pm.
*No check –in after the 6pm desk closure is possible; no staff is on-duty.
-Notify the Club’s offices of their intent & authorize billing (734.764.1116)

Your Mailing Address/Shipped Parcels
Your address is simply your name and the Club’s address:

551 South State Street, Ann Arbor MI 48109-1208

Shipped materials will not be accepted before 8/17/09 as the Club has limited secured storage.

Student Room Information
You have leased a furnished room with extra long (82”) twin bed, desk & chair, easy chair, bookcase, dresser, closet, sink & medicine chest. Rooms are let as furnished and there is no space to store any of these furnishings. For fire safety reasons, you may not bring your own couch, bed or mattress.
The Club is not air conditioned & has no elevators.
Bathrooms & showers are common to the corridor and gender specific.
We suggest residents bring: bed linens, blanket, towels, pillow, fan, throw rug, desk lamp.
A telephone instrument with local service is provided to each resident n Optional Cable TV channels available for a fee; information is available to you upon check-in.
You may bring a mini-frig and/or microwave; the Club does not rent these items.
Each Lawyers Club room is wireless & Ethernet equipped.
THE NO LIST: Torch-style lamps, air conditioners, electric blankets, personal mattresses, open-element hotplates, lofts, waterbeds, upholstered couches, firearms, candles, pets, smoking, alcohol in public areas.

Dining and Food
Your lease includes 13 meals per week; Lawyers Club dining begins Friday Aug 28. Prior to that date, residents participating in Orientation will often find that meals are included in activities. Residents wishing to purchase meals during the week of orientation may exercise this option at a neighboring residence hall. Information on this ala carte service will be available upon your Club check-in. All Club contracts include full 13 meal/week board, as there are no student kitchen facilities. Vegetarian entrees are offered, but Vegan and Kosher diets cannot be accommodated within the Club’s menu and service style. PLEASE review your dietary needs before signing a lease; there is no ability to live in the Club without the meal portion of the lease.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 pm

BrianEno wrote:
I don't know. It's always great to take an easy elective so you can have that extra A to boost your GPA.
Not if the class hours, reading hours, study hours you put into it take away from the grades you get in your other classes. Especially if half your section or more isn't taking an elective and can either study for "real" classes more, de-stress more, or both.

BrianEno

New

Post by BrianEno » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Not if the class hours, reading hours, study hours you put into it take away from the grades you get in your other classes. Especially if half your section or more isn't taking an elective and can either study for "real" classes more, de-stress more, or both.
Hence the phrase, "easy elective." I didn't even go to cyberlaw and I got a nice grade. ask pk!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:22 pm

2L classes i am currently enrolled in(not sure if/when i should drop one): jurisdiction, EO, law firms, fair housing, BTP I.
Go State wrote:Anyone find leasing a place in Ann Arbor for next year a pain in the ass? I am trying to sign a lease and for any places that I found that weren't complete dumps seem to have leases that end in the first week of September (since UG doesn't start until September 9th -- no idea if that's accurate but what some place told me). Law school start 8/31 and early interview week orientation starts 8/17, which is followed by orientation. So ideally I wanted to get moved in 8/14 weekend but am finding myself either with the option of leasing a place that sucks or trying to get a hold of an existing tenant and trying to get them to move out early and conveying that to the leasing office (i.e. I will be buying out the last couple weeks of the existing tenant's lease).

What is everyone else on here doing for housing to cover the first few weeks before anyone wants to lease out anything?
(I'm taking a wild guess here and assuming that 1L orientation begins 8/24 along with transfer orientation.)
d00d, sorry that the perfect lease doesn't exist. if you want to move in early, visualize a $600 fee. a2 leases are standardized, and people began looking last October for apartments.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:25 pm

Alexandria wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

Noooooo. Reading room is open to the public. The library is not. I'm not sure when you took the LSAT, but for part of last year they were strictly enforcing the closure of the library to the public, since undergrads were trying to get in more frequently due to the closure of the reading room for refurb. But it's always the policy, whether they check IDs every day or not. And law students get pissed about undergrads in the law library, especially close to finals.
I took my LSAT this summer; studied on sub-level 2 everyday for a month and a half and no one ever said anything. I even mentioned to one of the library assistants that I was studying for the LSAT and not a law student. I've been in there a few times during the school year, too, and was never asked for ID or anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:34 pm

snickersnicker wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
snickersnicker wrote:

I took my LSAT this summer; studied on sub-level 2 everyday for a month and a half and no one ever said anything. I even mentioned to one of the library assistants that I was studying for the LSAT and not a law student. I've been in there a few times during the school year, too, and was never asked for ID or anything.

most times it doesn't matter much. they enforce the policy with an attendant occasionally and a lot during finals.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 pm

BrianEno wrote:
Hence the phrase, "easy elective." I didn't even go to cyberlaw and I got a nice grade. ask pk!
Nice. I haven't found any classes like that yet! Seminars are easy to get good grades in, but they can be a lot of work anyway.

Maybe this semester. :)

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Just a random thought, but is it common to sign a lease the day you move in to a place? We're doing that with Woodbury, and I have NEVER heard of that in L.A.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:36 pm

That's what we did at Woodbury too. I unsigned that least the next week too. Hooray 30-day backout option!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

PKSebben wrote:That's what we did at Woodbury too. I unsigned that least the next week too. Hooray 30-day backout option!
Why did you opt out?

It's a pretty nice deal, I just never expected them to be so trusting. I understand that the demand is high but that's true around USC as well...

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:16 pm

The neighbors were eleventy college age punks who liked to blast music at 2am. I can't deal with that shit. This seemed really uncommon and I just got a bad draw for a town home. I don't want to call the cops on some kids that are like 19 (Woodbury's suggestion) so my wife and got a house a couple miles away instead. Nobody gets arrested. I get peace and quiet.

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:30 pm

More.Alcohol.Please starts in 15 days?!? Wow.

BrianEno

New

Post by BrianEno » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:41 pm

I wish I could still be a leader. Alas, all good things must end...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:26 am

PKSebben wrote:The neighbors were eleventy college age punks who liked to blast music at 2am. I can't deal with that shit. This seemed really uncommon and I just got a bad draw for a town home. I don't want to call the cops on some kids that are like 19 (Woodbury's suggestion) so my wife and got a house a couple miles away instead. Nobody gets arrested. I get peace and quiet.
Oh, yeah, that would drive me nuts. Good call. I really hope that doesn't happen to me, but I'm guessing I won't have much time to figure it out since my lease starts the 10th and undergrads don't start til around the 6th (or so I've been told)... meaning my 30 day opt-out is over 4 days after they start.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

USC2009 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:The neighbors were eleventy college age punks who liked to blast music at 2am. I can't deal with that shit. This seemed really uncommon and I just got a bad draw for a town home. I don't want to call the cops on some kids that are like 19 (Woodbury's suggestion) so my wife and got a house a couple miles away instead. Nobody gets arrested. I get peace and quiet.
Oh, yeah, that would drive me nuts. Good call. I really hope that doesn't happen to me, but I'm guessing I won't have much time to figure it out since my lease starts the 10th and undergrads don't start til around the 6th (or so I've been told)... meaning my 30 day opt-out is over 4 days after they start.
I seriously would not worry. I really believe it was like 1 in 100 chance I got stuck like that. The neighborhood for the most part is pretty damn quiet. And I'm quite persnickety about noise to boot.

vidhartha

Bronze

Post by vidhartha » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 am

Sigh... summer term is almost over, its getting kinda scary how close finals are for us summer starters. NOT gettin pretty now. And I still have no idea what is going on in civ pro, is that normal or am i screwed? Time to start focusing on the E & E's. Any other summer starters with me? Any advice from the 2Ls or 3Ls?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:45 am

for civ pro the E&E can literally teach you the course.

how long until finals?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”