Michigan 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
USC2009

Bronze

Re: Michigan 2012

Post by USC2009 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

On a different note, is anyone kinda interested in going to that Blink 182 reunion concert in Detroit on Aug 22nd? They're playing with Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Chester French. Or did I just alienate half class by taste in music?
A few of us are already going! Buy your tickets on Wednesday from livenation.com and you can get lawn seats for $23 with no service fees 8) (They have a promotion running this summer - Fee Free Wednesdays or something)

So back to the concert (because law school is all about rocking out right? RIGHT?) But is this a set thing for sure, because if it is I'm going to get me some tickets right now

P.S. Can I hitch a ride with anyone, I don't think my nissan is going to make it all the way from Cali
I have a ticket already, so other people BETTER have purchased tickets :P

No road trip? I'm debating if my Focus is coming to A2 with me from SoCal. It only has like 57k miles on it, and I'm scared it's gonna rust to hell :(

spencer26

New

Post by spencer26 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:55 pm

You listen to blink 182, you drive a ford focus, and you've got that tacky avatar. Three Strikes! Just kidding man!

But on a serious note, I am driving a blazer from salt lake city with 150k+ miles. I am praying to sweet jesus I can make it to Ann Arbor. I have these awful visions of getting stranded in Laramie.

safari

New

Post by safari » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:48 pm

itzjulz wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
safari wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone have details on health insurance at Michigan? The note on the admitted students page says the "2006-2007" brochure isn't available, which makes me think it hasn't been updated in a while.
As best I recall, enrollment for the Fall/Winter opened sometime in July last year.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
This may not be an option for everyone, but I am currently looking into the "Young Adult Blue" program through BCBS: http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/plan_youngadultblue.shtml

If you are under 30 and are only looking for something to cover you in case of an emergency (Preventative care and clinic visits aren't covered, but we get those for free through UHS), this might be a viable option, since coverage only starts at about $47/month. That's roughly $565 annually vs. roughly $2350 for the Aetna plan that UM offers.

Obviously, if you are older, have a family, want vision/dental/etc. coverage, or have unique medical needs or medications of some kind that require doctor visits beyond a routine checkup or yearly exam, then this might not be a good plan for you. However, if you're just looking for something to cover you in case you have a heart attack during exams, this looks like it's not a bad deal.
Hmm...I wonder if that works if you turn 30 during the school year...probably not. Damn I'm gonna feel old...

safari

New

Post by safari » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:53 pm

scarletmuse wrote:I have to put in a plug for the UofM Credit Union. I've been with them since I've been here. There are branches all over town (including in the Union, right across the street from the law school), and they're part of the national credit union network. When I was in DC, I just made my deposits at another credit union. Last summer I was too busy to worry about it, so I mailed my checks.
Thanks! That's good to know. I've got a pretty good deal with my credit union at work, and it would be nice to have something similar...

Question for the Woodbury contingent: What do you know about the "Garden Level" apartments? Are they ground level, or below ground level? Are they nice or dank dungeons?

joyce615

New

Post by joyce615 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:53 am

safari wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
safari wrote:On an unrelated note: Does anyone have details on health insurance at Michigan? The note on the admitted students page says the "2006-2007" brochure isn't available, which makes me think it hasn't been updated in a while.
As best I recall, enrollment for the Fall/Winter opened sometime in July last year.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
This may not be an option for everyone, but I am currently looking into the "Young Adult Blue" program through BCBS: http://www.bcbsm.com/myblue/plan_youngadultblue.shtml

If you are under 30 and are only looking for something to cover you in case of an emergency (Preventative care and clinic visits aren't covered, but we get those for free through UHS), this might be a viable option, since coverage only starts at about $47/month. That's roughly $565 annually vs. roughly $2350 for the Aetna plan that UM offers.

Obviously, if you are older, have a family, want vision/dental/etc. coverage, or have unique medical needs or medications of some kind that require doctor visits beyond a routine checkup or yearly exam, then this might not be a good plan for you. However, if you're just looking for something to cover you in case you have a heart attack during exams, this looks like it's not a bad deal.
Hmm...I wonder if that works if you turn 30 during the school year...probably not. Damn I'm gonna feel old...
i have that plan from BCBS. it's coverage is very limited so i ended up getting aetna student insurance later. get a better insurance because you never know. case in point: someone basically kneed my face while we were playing softball, i broke my nose, went to ER and an ENT later at UM hospital. BCBS = ENT not covered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:51 am

USC2009 wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:
itzjulz wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote:I've been lurking on the forums for a while and since the servers are down at my work right now I figured it was a good of a time as any to just say hi to my future classmates. I'm coming in as a 1L from California. So if anyone's in the San Francisco area and wanted to get some drinks feel free to hit me up.

On a different note, is anyone kinda interested in going to that Blink 182 reunion concert in Detroit on Aug 22nd? They're playing with Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Chester French. Or did I just alienate half class by taste in music?
A few of us are already going! Buy your tickets on Wednesday from livenation.com and you can get lawn seats for $23 with no service fees 8) (They have a promotion running this summer - Fee Free Wednesdays or something)

So back to the concert (because law school is all about rocking out right? RIGHT?) But is this a set thing for sure, because if it is I'm going to get me some tickets right now

P.S. Can I hitch a ride with anyone, I don't think my nissan is going to make it all the way from Cali
I have a ticket already, so other people BETTER have purchased tickets :P

No road trip? I'm debating if my Focus is coming to A2 with me from SoCal. It only has like 57k miles on it, and I'm scared it's gonna rust to hell :(

Well figuring I'm the only one I know coming from nor-cal that would be the saddest road trip ever....not to mention punch bug would just stop being funny and get kinda weird in a masochistic sort of way.

But what section did you get your tickets for, I think I missed the Wednesday special because like the Californian I am I assumed everything was run on pacific time, that was HELLA dumb.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:05 am

chewy!

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 am

spencer26 wrote:Good to hear about the macs.

"Fuck that Noise" ? I am not sure I follow, is "that noise" pertaining to the lawyers' club?

And I guess I wasn't clear on the schedule question.... So, does the fall semester have a specific schedule (for example: civil procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, Contracts), or does everyone take the same set of classes during 1L, but in a random order?

Also, one question I forgot to ask: did any current students ever use LEEWS? If so, what did you think? Helpful?
i don't know what i meant, but the lawyers club or PCs are acceptable targets of the noise.

LEEWS is fucking goddamn terrible. you can PM for more explanation. i would offer it to you for free, but it would make you dumber.
tl wrote:
snotrocket wrote: Yes. One apparent strategy last year was putting all the raging gunners in IJKL.
This is so not true. We were the slacker section. EFGH was where all the gunners were. This is not even up for debate.
EFGH > IJKL > MNOP. viva our slackerdom.

rolen27

New

Post by rolen27 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 am

tcortez wrote:I want to do some type of work with Education. Any idea which clinic is the best for that? Is is Child Advocacy? Or the Urban communities Clinic? Gracias
I'm interested in student feedback in the Children advocacy law clinic, Urban Communities clinic as well as the general clinic and the Childrens appealate clinic. Has anyone taken any of those clinics?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Chewbacca Defense wrote: Well figuring I'm the only one I know coming from nor-cal that would be the saddest road trip ever....not to mention punch bug would just stop being funny and get kinda weird in a masochistic sort of way.

But what section did you get your tickets for, I think I missed the Wednesday special because like the Californian I am I assumed everything was run on pacific time, that was HELLA dumb.
I also missed the tickets. Is next Wednesday the best bet for me then?

Also, I'm not bringing my car either (it's going to the younger brother so he can get a job while in undergrad). Consider this my pre-emptive shotgun (or at least not-bitch) call for riding with Julz or USC to this show! :D

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:09 pm

Merriweather wrote:
spencer26 wrote:Good to hear about the macs.

"Fuck that Noise" ? I am not sure I follow, is "that noise" pertaining to the lawyers' club?

And I guess I wasn't clear on the schedule question.... So, does the fall semester have a specific schedule (for example: civil procedure I, Criminal Law, Torts, Contracts), or does everyone take the same set of classes during 1L, but in a random order?

Also, one question I forgot to ask: did any current students ever use LEEWS? If so, what did you think? Helpful?
i don't know what i meant, but the lawyers club or PCs are acceptable targets of the noise.

LEEWS is fucking goddamn terrible. you can PM for more explanation. i would offer it to you for free, but it would make you dumber.
tl wrote:
snotrocket wrote: Yes. One apparent strategy last year was putting all the raging gunners in IJKL.
This is so not true. We were the slacker section. EFGH was where all the gunners were. This is not even up for debate.
EFGH > IJKL > MNOP. viva our slackerdom.

really?

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:10 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Chewbacca Defense wrote: Well figuring I'm the only one I know coming from nor-cal that would be the saddest road trip ever....not to mention punch bug would just stop being funny and get kinda weird in a masochistic sort of way.

I also missed the tickets. Is next Wednesday the best bet for me then?

Also, I'm not bringing my car either (it's going to the younger brother so he can get a job while in undergrad). Consider this my pre-emptive shotgun (or at least not-bitch) call for riding with Julz or USC to this show! :D
Ugh, I checked yesterday and for some reason DTE wasn't part of the promotion this week I might try next week, otherwise just bite the bullet and pay for the ticket fees (I HATE paying TM fees. HATE. :evil: Ticket fees are part of everything that's wrong with the music industry... but I digress..)

We will figure out transportation. I won't technically have a car in Ann Arbor, but will either borrow my brother's car or make my bf drive. It probably wouldn't cost very much to rent a car for the day, if necessary.

BigBlockofCheeseDay

New

Post by BigBlockofCheeseDay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm

I can squeeze 4 in with me, 3 if my roomate rides with me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:38 pm

The only section I could get tickets for were the lawn seats/general admit - it makes more sense to do genadmit anyway, since we have a lot of people buying tickets separately.

How much are ticketmaster fees for this show? I know when I bought No Doubt tickets for 5 bucks the total was like 10 dollars with the fees. Then I bought tickets for a 34 dollar show and it was around 40...

itzjulz

Bronze

Post by itzjulz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:44 pm

USC2009 wrote: The only section I could get tickets for were the lawn seats/general admit - it makes more sense to do genadmit anyway, since we have a lot of people buying tickets separately.

How much are ticketmaster fees for this show? I know when I bought No Doubt tickets for 5 bucks the total was like 10 dollars with the fees. Then I bought tickets for a 34 dollar show and it was around 40...
$3 parking fee (you have to pay this regardless, they don't charge for parking at the venue)
$9.55 convenience charge
$4.40 order processing charge

=16.95 in fees. on a $20 ticket. wtf.

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:05 pm

itzjulz wrote:
USC2009 wrote: The only section I could get tickets for were the lawn seats/general admit - it makes more sense to do genadmit anyway, since we have a lot of people buying tickets separately.

$3 parking fee (you have to pay this regardless, they don't charge for parking at the venue)
$9.55 convenience charge

Yeesh. Yeah that's bad... just make sure they don't sell out of tickets before you get yours :D

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm

USC2009 wrote:
itzjulz wrote:

$9.55 convenience charge

Yeesh. Yeah that's bad... just make sure they don't sell out of tickets before you get yours :D
Hopefully not, but $17 bucks is a lot of money, I could buy 17 junior bacon cheese burgers (or 170 if I had a time machine).

But I would be so bummed out if they sold out, kinda angry too, then I would go have my own rock concert at the laywers club that will be like a billion times better, and they would be like "damn, we should have sold tickets to chewy without the fees" That'll show them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

summertimechi

Bronze

Post by summertimechi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:37 pm

is there any type of special bonding experience that comes along with staying in the hotel for MAP? i'm trying to coordinate my move-in date for my apt and was considering moving in the weekend before MAP, but am unsure as to whether I should stay in the hotel or in my apt. it may sound stupid but i feel like i might miss out on quality drunken cab rides/convos (like the one i had at preview with flightoftheearls, dresden, etc. after the phid party) if i stay in my apt. any thoughts?

tl

Bronze

Post by tl » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:22 pm

summertimechi wrote:is there any type of special bonding experience that comes along with staying in the hotel for MAP? i'm trying to coordinate my move-in date for my apt and was considering moving in the weekend before MAP, but am unsure as to whether I should stay in the hotel or in my apt. it may sound stupid but i feel like i might miss out on quality drunken cab rides/convos (like the one i had at preview with flightoftheearls, dresden, etc. after the phid party) if i stay in my apt. any thoughts?
No. Unless you plan on bonding with your roommate.

And I can't believe anybody would EVER suggest that EFGH were slackers. That is just ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends in EFGH said that you were the section of gunners. And they were gunners too! You guys are in denial.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:05 pm

tl wrote:And I can't believe anybody would EVER suggest that EFGH were slackers. That is just ridiculous. EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends in EFGH said that you were the section of gunners. And they were gunners too! You guys are in denial.
EFGH had literally zero epic gunner antics the entire year. It was a big bummer actually. ALL the bizarro gunner stories came from IJKL. Every single one of them. Your EFGH pals were just trying to make you feel ok about hanging with them despite what a gigantic gunner you were.

Chewbacca Defense

New

Post by Chewbacca Defense » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Just so I know, once schools starts are the section going to break down into a tri-gang war Westside story style? If so I would like to be head fight-dance chorographer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

USC2009

Bronze

Post by USC2009 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:47 am

So, um... this doesn't relate to Michigan/Law/A2/etc at all, but...

LAKERS UP 3-1!

YEAH 8)

(oh, and I guess I can support the Red Wings now, sort of?)

Merriweather

Bronze

Post by Merriweather » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:04 am

actually it was probably IJKL > EFGH > MNOP

mnop had like 2.

scarletmuse

New

Post by scarletmuse » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:15 am

Merriweather wrote:actually it was probably IJKL > EFGH > MNOP

mnop had like 2.
MNOP is always the chillest (and best! :D).

EFGH = Every Fucking Gunner Here
IJKL = I Just Know Little
MNOP = Most Nights Out Partying

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm

I love how everyone is comparing IJKL > EFGH > MNOP; it's obvious ABCD are omitted because we're so much better ;-)

J.k Looking forward to welcoming all the fall starters in August!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”