University of Tennessee Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
A'nold

Gold

Re: University of Tennessee Class of 2012

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 pm

"A status update letter has been mailed.....". WL? Wow, I have been complete since Nov. 3rd and now I am rejected or WL. Couldn't they have just done that about 5 months ago? Haha.

Hudda Budda

New

Post by Hudda Budda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:39 pm

hah you have me at a real disadv, i have no idea who's who but it's obvious who i am.

Hudda Budda

New

Post by Hudda Budda » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 am

A'nold wrote:"A status update letter has been mailed.....". WL? Wow, I have been complete since Nov. 3rd and now I am rejected or WL. Couldn't they have just done that about 5 months ago? Haha.
fuck man, that is some bs. honestly how can a school have someone complete since nov 3 and still waitlist them? that shit sounds almost unethical...except i don't think there are any standards to put that up with so...

johngentree

New

Post by johngentree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:42 am

optimusbjork wrote: I wouldn't count on it. The local firms are very, very loyal to UT. LMU isn't accredited anyway.
How do you define very loyal to UT? This sounds like speculation. They may be loyal to current employees at firms but what about the future? From actual lawyers I have talked to in the area, the market is pretty saturated.

With the influx of LMU alumni into the market (they are advertising quite heavily in Knoxville), this may affect the cost of legal services. Big firms all over the country are restructuring and possibly lowering salaries of associates (from $160k to $100k). It seems this would affect the Knoxville market too.

funkblaster

New

Post by funkblaster » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:56 am

johngentree wrote:
optimusbjork wrote: I wouldn't count on it. The local firms are very, very loyal to UT. LMU isn't accredited anyway.
How do you define very loyal to UT? This sounds like speculation. They may be loyal to current employees at firms but what about the future? From actual lawyers I have talked to in the area, the market is pretty saturated.

With the influx of LMU alumni into the market (they are advertising quite heavily in Knoxville), this may affect the cost of legal services. Big firms all over the country are restructuring and possibly lowering salaries of associates (from $160k to $100k). It seems this would affect the Knoxville market too.
Optimisbjork is correct on this one. Tennessee, especially Knoxville, gives more weight to a UT degree than any other. LMU will not affect the Knoxville market. They will probably place almost entirely in small towns. LMU's main campus is in Harrogate, which is similar to the areas I'm referring to. I've lived in East TN for 30 years, and I'd say 75% UT alum lawyers in the area is an extremely conservative estimate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

optimusbjork

New

Post by optimusbjork » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:06 pm

johngentree wrote:

Well, I guess from what I've personally witnessed at our law school alumni events; the fact that local firms often use UT's career services for summer and entry-level associate job candidates; and the fact that most of our adjunct faculty here at the law school are lawyers who practice in and around Knoxville and/or graduated from UT law as well, are some of the things that led me to "speculate" that local firms are loyal to UT law. There are also the numerous awards and scholarships that local attorneys and judges bestow onto our students every year. And the continued participation of local judges and attorneys in mock trial competitions here. In other words, the local bar is a very close-knit community and the law school is at the center of it.

Your original post assumed that an unaccredited brand new law school (a "toilet" one as you called it) might actually pose some competition to graduates of UT Law--a near-1st tier accredited law school with a very long history in this city and in the state.

Now, I certainly agree with you that there is a potential for current and future saturation of UT grads in the Knoxville market, but I disagree that LMU poses any sort of additional credible "threat" to the job prospects of UT grads in Knoxville. At least not until LMU 1) gets accredited and 2) establishes itself as a quality legal education institution (beyond the claims of its ads).

If you're truly worried about LMU saturation, I encourage you to call Dean Blaze, let him know your concerns and then ask what he thinks about it. Blaze is a straight-shooter, no BS kind of guy, and he's in a position to know, more than anyone else here at the law school, what kind of credible threat LMU poses to us in Knoxville.

Also, while I've bitched about Career Services here, I will say that they have a very good relationship with the local firms and actively promote UT Law to them.

johngentree

New

Post by johngentree » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:13 pm

optimusbjork wrote:
Well, I guess from what I've personally witnessed at our law school alumni events; the fact that local firms often use UT's career services for summer and entry-level associate job candidates; and the fact that most of our adjunct faculty here at the law school are lawyers who practice in and around Knoxville and/or graduated from UT law as well, are some of the things that led me to "speculate" that local firms are loyal to UT law. There are also the numerous awards and scholarships that local attorneys and judges bestow onto our students every year. And the continued participation of local judges and attorneys in mock trial competitions here. In other words, the local bar is a very close-knit community and the law school is at the center of it.

Your original post assumed that an unaccredited brand new law school (a "toilet" one as you called it) might actually pose some competition to graduates of UT Law--a near-1st tier accredited law school with a very long history in this city and in the state.

Now, I certainly agree with you that there is a potential for current and future saturation of UT grads in the Knoxville market, but I disagree that LMU poses any sort of additional credible "threat" to the job prospects of UT grads in Knoxville. At least not until LMU 1) gets accredited and 2) establishes itself as a quality legal education institution (beyond the claims of its ads).

If you're truly worried about LMU saturation, I encourage you to call Dean Blaze, let him know your concerns and then ask what he thinks about it. Blaze is a straight-shooter, no BS kind of guy, and he's in a position to know, more than anyone else here at the law school, what kind of credible threat LMU poses to us in Knoxville.

Also, while I've bitched about Career Services here, I will say that they have a very good relationship with the local firms and actively promote UT Law to them.

I would say UT is a safe bet and regarded well in the local community and TN for that matter. I just doubt that most or all of the lawyers work for firms. I can't remember where I saw it but a chart illustrated most graduates worked in private/solo type work (I could see LMU affecting that - if the graduates pass bar haha)

In-state tuition is still very reasonable compared to schools like appalachian law. As you can see though, students are being required to graduate with larger debt loads to attend these schools. That is what drives the worry about attending law school. More law graduates chasing less jobs with even more debt. Maybe people have more money these days and pay cash for law school, but tuition alone as it stands is $13k a year *3 = $39k minus the salary loss of $30-50k at most entry level professions.

I guess find out whether the bottom of the class can find legal jobs that pay well. Considering the competition, there is no guarantee of being at the top of the class.

You could always be an ambulance chaser like Stephen Burroughs hahahaha

optimusbjork

New

Post by optimusbjork » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:57 pm

johngentree wrote: I would say UT is a safe bet and regarded well in the local community and TN for that matter. I just doubt that most or all of the lawyers work for firms. I can't remember where I saw it but a chart illustrated most graduates worked in private/solo type work (I could see LMU affecting that - if the graduates pass bar haha)

In-state tuition is still very reasonable compared to schools like appalachian law. As you can see though, students are being required to graduate with larger debt loads to attend these schools. That is what drives the worry about attending law school. More law graduates chasing less jobs with even more debt. Maybe people have more money these days and pay cash for law school, but tuition alone as it stands is $13k a year *3 = $39k minus the salary loss of $30-50k at most entry level professions.

I guess find out whether the bottom of the class can find legal jobs that pay well. Considering the competition, there is no guarantee of being at the top of the class.

You could always be an ambulance chaser like Stephen Burroughs hahahaha
No doubt the in-state tuition is very reasonable. Once I heard from Financial Aid that they were granting me in-state tuition, the choice to go to UT was made for me.

The future income/debt ratio is a very valid concern generally no matter where you go to law school unless, of course, you're offered a free ride all three years.

And oh honey, if I knew then what I know now about how hard it is to be at the top of the class. Or even to get an A in law school.... I remember getting scholarship offers from law schools that required I maintain a 3.3 or higher to keep the money. And I was like, "Jeez, how hard can THAT be? I had a 4.0 in undergrad!" Thank God UT's scholarship only requires that I maintain "academic good standing" to keep the money! :lol:

Volgirl24

New

Post by Volgirl24 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:15 pm

optimusbjork wrote:
No doubt the in-state tuition is very reasonable. Once I heard from Financial Aid that they were granting me in-state tuition, the choice to go to UT was made for me.

Are you out of state? I wrote an email to fin aid because i'm out of state and was wondering if there were any extra scholarship opportunities for me and she said that it wouldn't hurt to try to get in state classification but she couldn't guarantee anything. so i was just wondering if you were out of state too and had managed to get in state somehow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

optimusbjork

New

Post by optimusbjork » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Volgirl24 wrote: Are you out of state? I wrote an email to fin aid because i'm out of state and was wondering if there were any extra scholarship opportunities for me and she said that it wouldn't hurt to try to get in state classification but she couldn't guarantee anything. so i was just wondering if you were out of state too and had managed to get in state somehow.
I probably should have given more details in my previous post. Sorry about that. I was out of state--I was born and raised in Texas--but I went to undergrad at MTSU and lived in Nashville from 1996-2002. I moved back to Texas in 2002 and lived there until I moved back here for law school in August 2007. I got in-state tuition at MTSU because they have a part-time/full-time tuition scheme where you get in-state tuition your first year if you go part-time but work full-time for two semesters. After that you are considered in-state. I also worked for the City of Nashville after college, so I mentioned that as well on my in-state application for law school.

I have no idea what tipped the scales in my favor for them to grant me in-state tuition. I basically just mentioned everything I could think of to convince them that I had, and still have, a valid connection to Tennessee for in-state tuition purposes.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:58 pm

You are automatically granted residency if you have a spouse that gets a job in TN................any job...........even flipping burgers.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:24 pm

Tennessee fell a bit in the rankings after a steady climb the last couple of years. Not going to have an effect on my decision but I was hoping to see them crack the Top 50. Instead they fell 7 spots.

Lawlexi5

New

Post by Lawlexi5 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Yea that rankings thing is a little bit of a bummer...we've all talked on the Tennessee thread about how chill everyone is...as relatively "chill" people, how much are you all affected by this kind of thing? I try to ignore them, but things like TLS have gotten into my head a little bit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:23 pm

It's the same school it was when we applied and when we made our decision. It places very well in Tennessee and in the south. I'm OK with this.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm

kak23 wrote:It's the same school it was when we applied and when we made our decision. It places very well in Tennessee and in the south. I'm OK with this.

You are exactly right. Nothing has changed. The difference between UT this year and UT last year isn't going to change how employers view UT grads, especially if you are in the south. If schools didn't move from year to year, no one would be interested in their rankings. Its all BS really. There are going to be people who choose some no-name school that jumped up 30 spots on the ranking this year and then next year be disappointed when it falls back off the map. That is just the way it goes. Think of the US News as a general guide for someone who has no idea where they would like to work after graduation. For those people, the rankings can help - marginally. But know, outside the t14, the difference between 24 and 25 is nothing, nor is the difference between 40 and 70 for that matter. If you blindly follow the US News, and don't make a decision for yourself, you are bound to be disappointed.

Lawlexi5

New

Post by Lawlexi5 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Definitely doesn't affect my decision...some people on this site are so CRAZY though!!

Hudda Budda

New

Post by Hudda Budda » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 pm

What everyone else has said...in the end it's a regional school and still places the same so meh, whatever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon May 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Anyone going to the Nashville reception?

jsm87

New

Post by jsm87 » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Hey everybody. Looks like I'm going to be a Vol this fall. I'm coming from Athens, GA. I've been looking at apartments with my fiancee, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Fox Lake or Country Oaks apartment complexes??? They're both in west Knoxville. I'm going to visit them soon and was wondering if anyone had heard anything good or bad.

Lawlexi5

New

Post by Lawlexi5 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 pm

jsm87 wrote:Hey everybody. Looks like I'm going to be a Vol this fall. I'm coming from Athens, GA. I've been looking at apartments with my fiancee, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Fox Lake or Country Oaks apartment complexes??? They're both in west Knoxville. I'm going to visit them soon and was wondering if anyone had heard anything good or bad.
Don't know if you're on facebook, but there's a pretty helpful Tennessee Law 2012 group that a few 1L's and 2L's are in helping us incomers out...sorry I can't personally help myself, but I'm also an out of towner.

But congrats on choosing Tennessee!!! Yaaa! :!:

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 pm

jsm87 wrote:Hey everybody. Looks like I'm going to be a Vol this fall. I'm coming from Athens, GA. I've been looking at apartments with my fiancee, and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about Fox Lake or Country Oaks apartment complexes??? They're both in west Knoxville. I'm going to visit them soon and was wondering if anyone had heard anything good or bad.
Driven by Country Oaks.........nothing to write home about. Not sure about Fox Lake. What are you looking for and what is your price range?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Thu May 14, 2009 2:38 pm

If anyone is going or has gone to the Nashville reception (tonight)...what is the dress like? Suit and tie?

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu May 14, 2009 4:01 pm

kak23 wrote:If anyone is going or has gone to the Nashville reception (tonight)...what is the dress like? Suit and tie?
So where's that thing at? I may stop by.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Thu May 14, 2009 4:07 pm

orangeswarm wrote:
kak23 wrote:If anyone is going or has gone to the Nashville reception (tonight)...what is the dress like? Suit and tie?
So where's that thing at? I may stop by.
Nashville Area Admitted Candidates Reception is Thursday May 14th at the Tennessee Bar Association (5:30-7:30)

-Heavy Hors d'oeuvres
-Cash Bar
-Guests are welcome
-Directions can be found on the TN Bar Association Website: --LinkRemoved--

The invitation says 5th floor.

orangeswarm

Bronze

Post by orangeswarm » Thu May 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Ah, well forget that. When I was an 0L, they had it at Bass and I think students were invited. If its at the TBA students may not be invited. I'd hate to show up just to have to turn around and go home.

As to your question about suits and ties, that's what everyone sported when I went.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”