Harvard Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
IowaGirl

New

Re: Harvard Class of 2012

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:50 pm

Objection wrote:
It seems to me that it makes more sense to use the supplement assigned for the course, in particular if it is written by the author(s) of the casebook.
Next thing you know, you'll be letting us know the sky is blue and Vanessa Hudgens is your girlfriend...

You definitely want to use supplements assigned for the course and/or those written by the professor, but if they're assigned (even if only recommended), I wouldn't count them as supplements.

My CivPro prof recommends the E&E and my property prof recommends Glannons.

But there are other things that can be helpful, such as case summaries (particularly when they're keyed to your textbook).
I agree I could have left myself with a lot of unhelpful supplements if my profs had recommended other items.

But in my case, my Civ Pro prof recommended E&E, so that worked out. (He also requires the supplement keyed to the casebook) And none of my other profs specifically recommended any supplements so I figure I can't go wrong these.

(They are also the consensus picks on TLS, btw. I had some time to kill at work last month so I spent a lot of time going over old threads as a way to feel productive.)

That said, if there's a supplement recommended by the prof, written by the prof or keyed to the casebook, that's definitely a better choice.

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 pm

Objection wrote: I hate packing.
I feel your pain. I had to be out of my old apartment a couple of weeks ago and by the end I just started throwing stuff in the trash out of exhausted frustration.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:34 am

Objection wrote:I've done about 7 loads of laundry today in preps for my move.

I hate packing.
+1 man. I pent much of yesterday and the day before preparing boxes to ship. I don't even move out yet for over a week.

Good luck moving into your swinging pad!

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 am

Hey, does anyone know if on the law coop/bookstore website it is possible to shop for books by title rather than by class schedule? I was hoping to see if they had some other useful stuff but I couldn't figure out how to look without knowing the class for which the book was assigned. Any ideas?

AZJenna

New

Post by AZJenna » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:08 pm

I haven't seen a way to do that. Not the most user-friendly website.

I was in there yesterday, though, and they had a very thorough section of supplements, if that is what you are looking for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:44 pm

So how are y'all buying your books?

Loan checks won't be available until 8/28, which means they won't deposit until 9/3 or 9/4ish. I can't afford them out of pocket.

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Objection wrote:So how are y'all buying your books?

Loan checks won't be available until 8/28, which means they won't deposit until 9/3 or 9/4ish. I can't afford them out of pocket.
Could you put them on a credit card? You should have the loan check by the time the credit card payment is due.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm

I recall someone stating somewhere that books can be delivered right to your room, so they're waiting there when you arrive. Is this just when you buy them through the co-op, or can you get them to do that with Amazon as well?

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:17 pm

You could always call SFS and see which bank they use, and then check with the bank to see if they'll cash a check for a non-customer (ie you). Basically, if Harvard uses Citizens Bank, you should be able to take the check to the Citizens in Harvard Square, show them your driver's license, and exchange the check for cash on 8/28.

Then you wouldn't be too behind -- I won't be able to pick up most of my books until orientation anyways, and I just figured I'd get the assignments done on Sunday for Tuesday courses, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:34 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:I recall someone stating somewhere that books can be delivered right to your room, so they're waiting there when you arrive. Is this just when you buy them through the co-op, or can you get them to do that with Amazon as well?
My understanding is that the room delivery thing applies to all packages that arrive at your HLS address between Aug. 17 and Aug. 21, regardless of what the item is and who's shipping it.

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:58 pm

^^^^
That's my understanding too (although I thought the arrival window is Aug. 17th to Aug. 26. I could be wrong though).

IowaGirl

New

Post by IowaGirl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:^^^^
That's my understanding too (although I thought the arrival window is Aug. 17th to Aug. 26. I could be wrong though).
Oops, you're right. The window is Aug. 17-26. Don't know where I got Aug. 21 from.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm

IowaGirl wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:I recall someone stating somewhere that books can be delivered right to your room, so they're waiting there when you arrive. Is this just when you buy them through the co-op, or can you get them to do that with Amazon as well?
My understanding is that the room delivery thing applies to all packages that arrive at your HLS address between Aug. 17 and Aug. 21, regardless of what the item is and who's shipping it.
... I could have IKEA ship a futon and they'd put it in my room? Mini-fridge? TV stand?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:15 pm

jpaul09 wrote:

You could always call SFS and see which bank they use, and then check with the bank to see if they'll cash a check for a non-customer (ie you). Basically, if Harvard uses Citizens Bank, you should be able to take the check to the Citizens in Harvard Square, show them your driver's license, and exchange the check for cash on 8/28.

Then you wouldn't be too behind -- I won't be able to pick up most of my books until orientation anyways, and I just figured I'd get the assignments done on Sunday for Tuesday courses, etc.
Would this actually work?

crazy_zoologist

New

Post by crazy_zoologist » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:25 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:
... I could have IKEA ship a futon and they'd put it in my room? Mini-fridge? TV stand?
The delivery service is limited to packages not exceeding 50 pounds.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... l#shipping

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm

crazy_zoologist wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
IowaGirl wrote:
The delivery service is limited to packages not exceeding 50 pounds.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/stud ... l#shipping
Ooh, this is exciting. IKEA ships the mattress and frame in separate packages, so it should be all right. This might just make my life a whole lot easier.

Does anyone know what, specifically, we put for our address? If we're living in Gropius for example? Do we put the specific Hall (e.g., Ames) and room number, or does HLS just find your name and place the packages accordingly? I plan on calling tomorrow to find this out, but maybe someone here already knows.

jpaul09

New

Post by jpaul09 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 pm

Objection wrote:
jpaul09 wrote:

Would this actually work?
Yep -- as long as the bank that Harvard has an account at will cash "on-us" checks for non-customers (again, that's you). I worked as a bank teller for more than a few summers in high school and college, and we did a lot of these transactions on paydays -- for people who didn't have a bank account at all, for people who didn't want a day or two for their check to be deposited, etc.

I don't know how much you are getting as a loan cash advance from Harvard -- some banks will only cash checks up to a $3,000 limit. (That was our rule, and it was to avoid getting burned by a fraudulent check.) However, I think it'd be worth calling Harvard and asking about their bank, then calling that bank to discuss your options. If the check is too large for them to cash outright with you being a non-customer, at the very least, they may allow you to open an account with them, deposit part of the check, and give you the remainder of the check (at least enough for books) as cash. Key things to ask the bank: do they cash checks for non-customers? Would they cash a check as large as the cash advance check you'll be receiving? If not, is there any way you'd be able to open an account, deposit part of the check and take some of it as cash?

Hope that helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:42 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote: Does anyone know what, specifically, we put for our address? If we're living in Gropius for example? Do we put the specific Hall (e.g., Ames) and room number, or does HLS just find your name and place the packages accordingly? I plan on calling tomorrow to find this out, but maybe someone here already knows.
I'm pretty sure we mail it to the mail center address they sent us. (If you don't have one, call them.) They probably have a list of each mail box number and the room number and just match them up.

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 am

iagolives wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote: Does anyone know what, specifically, we put for our address? If we're living in Gropius for example? Do we put the specific Hall (e.g., Ames) and room number, or does HLS just find your name and place the packages accordingly? I plan on calling tomorrow to find this out, but maybe someone here already knows.
I'm pretty sure we mail it to the mail center address they sent us. (If you don't have one, call them.) They probably have a list of each mail box number and the room number and just match them up.
Found it. I am now super stoked to have all my furniture and stuff waiting for me. That's a load off my mind.

Does anyone know if the rooms in Gropius are carpeted?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:
Found it. I am now super stoked to have all my furniture and stuff waiting for me. That's a load off my mind.

If it is, it's that indoor/outdoor carpeting that no one likes but still manages to survive year after year. Seriously, indoor/outdoor carpeting is my example of how Smith's "invisible hand" is about as real as Santa.

borntorun

New

Post by borntorun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:48 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

I hope not, but from the pics I've seen it looks like they are. This will not go well with my unavoidable beer-spilling tendency.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:16 am

borntorun wrote:
excelsiorcaelo wrote:
iagolives wrote:

I hope not, but from the pics I've seen it looks like they are. This will not go well with my unavoidable beer-spilling tendency.
BEER FIGHT!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Posting from Boston!

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm a little undecided about the backpack situation. I don't feel that a North Face would even hold the books. What is everyone else doing? Totes?

AZJenna

New

Post by AZJenna » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Backpack and locker (hopefully--btw, when do we find out if we got a locker?)

Most people probably won't want to do this, but I've also heard of people stripping the bindings off of their books and 3-hole punching them (at a copy store), and then placing them in a binder. Then you can get a small 3-ring binder with 5 tabs, and just take the cases you need for class each day in the binder. Back problems be-gone! Of course, you couldn't sell the books back then, but you're not going to get a very good price on a highlighted, used book anyways...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”