Resume Margins Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SilverE2

Silver

Resume Margins

Post by SilverE2 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:47 pm

What are appropriate resume margins? Right now I have the standard 1 inch margins set, but there is no way I can fit my whole resume into one page with 1 inch margins. What about font? Is a font size of 10, Times New Roman too small?

lawlover829

Bronze

Re: Resume Margins

Post by lawlover829 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm

10 too small.

ivey says 11 is the smallest.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Is a two page resume really a disaster?

mizzoutigers88

New

Post by mizzoutigers88 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:18 pm

yes

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:32 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Is a two page resume really a disaster?
in my opinion, for purposes of only law school admission, no not at all. mine is 2 pages.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:33 pm

SilverE2 wrote:What are appropriate resume margins? Right now I have the standard 1 inch margins set, but there is no way I can fit my whole resume into one page with 1 inch margins. What about font? Is a font size of 10, Times New Roman too small?
Unless otherwise noted, I think you're safe if you decrease your margins a bit. I've seen most resumes with margins lower than 1 and it seemed fine/acceptable.

jm19

New

Post by jm19 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:37 pm

in the articles section of tls where there is a list of things you should do for a resume, i think it says half inch margins are good. also, ivey says to do i page, but all the examples in tha back of here book are at least a page and a half. i don't know if book pages are just that much different from normal 8 by elevens or or what.

iminlstrick

Bronze

Post by iminlstrick » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 pm

I have .75 margins and 10pt Arial font. It's completely readable AND professional. I don't understand this 1 inch 11pt nonsense for resumes -- looks like poo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:33 pm

My margins for my "real" resume for OCI are .7 and .8 and the career planning people have looked at it 3+ times and never mentioned the margins!

naruhodo

New

Post by naruhodo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Any thoughts on using a non-Arial/non-Times New Roman font? Right now I'm using Book Antiqua.

laolbjob

New

Post by laolbjob » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 pm

naruhodo wrote:Any thoughts on using a non-Arial/non-Times New Roman font? Right now I'm using Book Antiqua.
I'm using the Garamond and Candara.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:30 pm

iminlstrick wrote:I have .75 margins and 10pt Arial font. It's completely readable AND professional. I don't understand this 1 inch 11pt nonsense for resumes -- looks like poo.
too small

ann ivey is like the bible :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Just print on both sides of the paper, with an arrow in the bottom left of the front side saying turn over.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

If you have more than one page of resume as a 22-26 year old, you have a major ego problem. You are not more accomplished or more special than law firm partners or senior business executives, both of which do just fine with one page.

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:47 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:I've said it before, but it bears repeating.

If you have more than one page of resume as a 22-26 year old, you have a major ego problem. You are not more accomplished or more special than law firm partners or senior business executives, both of which do just fine with one page.
Umm you don't know my past... So please don't make these broad over generalization sweeping statements.

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Carnertine wrote:

Umm you don't know my past... So please don't make these broad over generalization sweeping statements.

Please consider also that some people going to law school are older than 26 with many years of work experience that would not conveniently fit on one page.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm

ArmyVet07 wrote:
Carnertine wrote:

Please consider also that some people going to law school are older than 26 with many years of work experience that would not conveniently fit on one page.
I think that's why age was specified. I largely agree with the 1 page rule but as with every rule there are exceptions. Just keep in mind who your audience is when crafting your resume and dont include some useless part time job you had 5 years ago because you were having money troubles or something. The resume is to show that you have been involved and successful in life and that you can do more than get good grades and take the LSAT.

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Georgiana wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote:

I think that's why age was specified. I largely agree with the 1 page rule but as with every rule there are exceptions. Just keep in mind who your audience is when crafting your resume and dont include some useless part time job you had 5 years ago because you were having money troubles or something. The resume is to show that you have been involved and successful in life and that you can do more than get good grades and take the LSAT.
why shouldn't I have my paper route from high school on there? I had a lot of good references from customers and was tipped well.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Carnertine wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
ArmyVet07 wrote:

why shouldn't I have my paper route from high school on there? I had a lot of good references from customers and was tipped well.
Have them write you a LOR about how you were so dedicated and showed up in the rain, the sleet, and the snow... I'm sure it'll tip the scales in your favor :)

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:59 pm

catharsis wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Is a two page resume really a disaster?
in my opinion, for purposes of only law school admission, no not at all. mine is 2 pages.
+1

It took me forever to finally give into the admissions game and make my resume 2 pages :X

Of course, once I get in, it's going right back down to 1 page, but I think this is the one time in my life where 2 pages will be both appropriate and helpful

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Have them write you a LOR about how you were so dedicated and showed up in the rain, the sleet, and the snow... I'm sure it'll tip the scales in your favor :)
It wasn't dedication it was a lifestyle. I had 3 paper routes one summer. I had no choice but to deliver in the rain and snow of one of the northern states. I had alot of customers, so who should I ask I have a few choices in mind a. the best tipper, b. the nicest old couple, c. the old mayor of the township, or d. a local business owner?

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Carnertine wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
It wasn't dedication it was a lifestyle. I had 3 paper routes one summer. I had no choice but to deliver in the rain and snow of one of the northern states. I had alot of customers, so who should I ask I have a few choices in mind a. the best tipper, b. the nicest old couple, c. the old mayor of the township, or d. a local business owner?
The person who knows you the best, obv. Their status isnt going to improve your chances...

Carnertine

Bronze

Post by Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Georgiana wrote:
Carnertine wrote:
Georgiana wrote:
The person who knows you the best, obv. Their status isnt going to improve your chances...
Oh, I just remember seeing in the movie Annapolis how James Franco got the Governor/Senator to write him a letter of recommendation and he got into the place he wanted. I didn't know it worked this way.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Carnertine wrote: Oh, I just remember seeing in the movie Annapolis how James Franco got the Governor/Senator to write him a letter of recommendation and he got into the place he wanted. I didn't know it worked this way.
Movies lie.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”