I guess that the Second Reserve is sort of like a second round of filtering. I believe that since CLS was not able to provide admission to some on the First Reserve, they are sending notices to those candidates they are still interested in and asking if they wish to stay on the wait list for consideration.
The letter states, "The next determination concerning reserved candidates will occur in early July." The go on to say that even in July, they might ask some candidates if they wish to remain on the wait list and join the Third Reserve.
In my case, it is both a good notice and a bad one. I'm set on going to UCLA but am having a hard time with the idea of leaving New York for a number of personal reasons. I've joined their Second Reserve but hope that they either admit me or reject me in early July. This way, I can plan on moving back to California and not have to worry about resettling, including trying to get my landlord to let me stay in my apartment. His understanding is that I will be moving out on August 1.
Too many "what ifs" even for me!
Should I try to get an interview with Dean Iwerebon even though it explicitly states that they don't offer any? Have any of you gone to visit CLS with the expectation that you would be accepted off the wait list? What has been the outcome? I ask because at UCLA, there were at least 7 in my group of 10 that were visiting the law school to try and get off the wait list.
Does anyone know how they integrate people who get in from reserve into the processing round for incoming 1Ls? Things like the housing application were all already due- does this mean that if you get in from reserve, you're SOL on this kind of stuff and have to figure it out for yourself, or do they make accomodations for the fact that some people will not know whether they are in until later summer? Does anyone know?
I heard that the Admissions Office is open to talking to candidates on the reserve list and I hope to take a train ride up to Morningside Heights to talk to one of their officers. I'll transcribe any useful information onto TLS.
I'm not sure if I received anything in the mail yet. Information from an inside source:
Some decisions would be sent out June 1, which it seems they have done. They also said that a second wave of decisions is expected next week (yes, no, maybe). Email/phone call will be the means of communicating good news I was told. snail mail equals reject or re-reserve.
the most important piece of info is that they are going to the wait list this year for sure and they know this already.
I have not received a rejection or a 2nd reserve letter. Does that mean I'm going to receive a decision this coming week?
LSN shows no WL->accepts so far for the month of June. People not divulging info on LSN, or no one accepted off WL so far?
Got Second Reserve letter. Will probably withdraw and apply again in the fall. A question- would it be kosher to send a letter indicating that I am still very interested in attending CLS, and that I look forward to applying again in the fall? Or would it be better to just fill out the withdrawal form and not say anything else? I just feel weird withdrawing from my first choice school- I don't want them to think I'm not interested enough to keep trying, or that I've decided to go somewhere else.
Well, my understanding is that they generally don't grant deferrals for people coming in off the reserve list. Also, when I talked to them about being on reserve, they indicated that one of the most important things you could do as a reserve applicant was to let them know that you would definitely come if accepted. I would love to be going this year, but I can't guarantee that I would be able to if they accepted me, and I'm hesitant about campaigning for a spot that I might ultimately have to turn down. So I'm thinking I should withdraw and reapply, rather than risk pissing them off or appearing to flake out.
Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.
When will you know if you could take the spot or not? If it's in not too many weeks, you could consider waiting until you are sure you have to withdraw/are able to enroll this Fall, and then act on it, by either sending a LOCI or a withdrawal letter.
I would send the letter you are describing. They are going to have your file on hand next year when you apply...and you are going to be compelled to tell them you applied before...so you can defuse a potentially puzzling situation by telling them your reason for withdrawing isn't because you like your options elsewhere, but that you are THAT serious about going there and doing well.