The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dbt

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by dbt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Ok computer dudes here's what I've found so far. I want a *pretty sweet* laptop that will last throughout law school (and longer if possible) and I don't want a PC because I hate Vista:

Macbook Pro 15"
250 GB Memory
4 GB RAM
5400 RPM
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440 x 900 resolution, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz processor, 4GB RAM (two SO-DIMMs), 250GB 5400-RPM Serial ATA HD, 8x slot-loading DL SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, 1 FireWire 800 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports, SD Card Slot, Airport Extreme (802.11n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, No modem (sold separately), built-in iSight camera, built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately), Multi-Touch trackpad, Backlit keyboard, Kensington cable lock slot, Precision aluminum unibody enclosure, Lithium battery, wt.: 5.5lbs.
For $1599 through the computer store. I'm mainly attracted to purchasing the computer through this program because of the deferred payment plan (only have to pay $500 up front and can pay the rest over the course of 2 years, no interest). But does anyone have any better recommendations? I like listening to lots of music, watching videos, taking notes, and long walks on the beach. I also already have a 500 GB external hard drive so I'm not really needing a huge one on the computer itself. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, one other question: in the details it says "no modem." Does that matter? Can I not connect to the internet without a modem. I seriously don't know shit about computers. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Objection wrote:
enygma wrote:
Objection wrote:Any recommendations on wireless routers? I'm thinking the 500 GB Time Capsule, and if that turns out to be too small (doubtful), upgrading it to 1 tb myself.
did you catch my northwestern post up there?

as far as wireless routers, i'd do anything that can run dd-wrt.
Not going to Northwestern. Sorry. :(

What are the benefits of dd-wrt? What is it?
dd-wrt is an open source linux based firmware for some models of router. it gives them really great configurability and a lot of features you often only see in $600+ routers.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 pm

dbt wrote:Ok computer dudes here's what I've found so far. I want a *pretty sweet* laptop that will last throughout law school (and longer if possible) and I don't want a PC because I hate Vista:

Macbook Pro 15"
250 GB Memory
4 GB RAM
5400 RPM
15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440 x 900 resolution, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz processor, 4GB RAM (two SO-DIMMs), 250GB 5400-RPM Serial ATA HD, 8x slot-loading DL SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, 1 FireWire 800 port, 2 USB 2.0 ports, SD Card Slot, Airport Extreme (802.11n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, No modem (sold separately), built-in iSight camera, built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately), Multi-Touch trackpad, Backlit keyboard, Kensington cable lock slot, Precision aluminum unibody enclosure, Lithium battery, wt.: 5.5lbs.
For $1599 through the computer store. I'm mainly attracted to purchasing the computer through this program because of the deferred payment plan (only have to pay $500 up front and can pay the rest over the course of 2 years, no interest). But does anyone have any better recommendations? I like listening to lots of music, watching videos, taking notes, and long walks on the beach. I also already have a 500 GB external hard drive so I'm not really needing a huge one on the computer itself. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, one other question: in the details it says "no modem." Does that matter? Can I not connect to the internet without a modem. I seriously don't know shit about computers. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
It's a great computer that will more than last you through law school, but it might be heavier/bigger than you really want to carry around. No modem = no problem. If you find yourself in china or someplace that you need such a thing you can buy a usb version for around 30 bucks.

Also, just to add to the discussion: I heart aiport routers. the timemachine looks like a great option, but it is a bit spendier than it really should be ;)

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:10 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
dbt wrote:Ok computer dudes here's what I've found so far. I want a *pretty sweet* laptop that will last throughout law school (and longer if possible) and I don't want a PC because I hate Vista:

Macbook Pro 15"
250 GB Memory
4 GB RAM
5400 RPM

It's a great computer that will more than last you through law school, but it might be heavier/bigger than you really want to carry around. No modem = no problem. If you find yourself in china or someplace that you need such a thing you can buy a usb version for around 30 bucks.

Also, just to add to the discussion: I heart aiport routers. the timemachine looks like a great option, but it is a bit spendier than it really should be ;)

You can buy a 500 gb for $279 then upgrade the hard drive yourself. Would come to slightly less than the 1 Tb. Or you can buy from a guy selling 1.5 TB (upgraded 500 GB) Time Capsules on ebay for $399.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok, so you guys can probably tell I'm really into super light, highly portable computing, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a computer set up for next year. My main concern is whether my netbook is enough of a computer (keyboard, screen, processor) for exams. (I am also cheap ;) )

I'm looking at three options:
1. Docking my netbook, ($350 for moniter and needed upgrades)
2. A dell desktop ($650 for the one I want) with my netbook for notes etc.
3. Macbook Air by itself ($1800 for the one I want)

Thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:Ok, so you guys can probably tell I'm really into super light, highly portable computing, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a computer set up for next year. My main concern is whether my netbook is enough of a computer (keyboard, screen, processor) for exams. (I am also cheap ;) )

Thoughts?
I'd seriously go with the 13" Macbook. It's 4.5 lbs, its far more featured and powerful than the Air, and it has the same size footprint.

In fact, the 13" MBP takes up less space on a desk than the Macbook Air. By only .02", but still.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:23 pm

Objection wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:Ok, so you guys can probably tell I'm really into super light, highly portable computing, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a computer set up for next year. My main concern is whether my netbook is enough of a computer (keyboard, screen, processor) for exams. (I am also cheap ;) )

Thoughts?
I'd seriously go with the 13" Macbook. It's 4.5 lbs, its far more featured and powerful than the Air, and it has the same size footprint.

In fact, the 13" MBP takes up less space on a desk than the Macbook Air. By only .02", but still.
I've thought about that, but I think if I get a mac it would be a replacement for my netbook, and I REALLY don't like carrying around that much weight, It would be almost double my mini 9.

I think if i got a macbook pro I would get the 15", and just use it as a desktop replacement most of the time.

hieveryone

New

Post by hieveryone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:24 pm

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1378445

I'm not sure if this still works, but I got a x301 for roughly $1300 something using the deal above a couple of days ago. (Copy and paste the link they give.)

The differences between an x300 and x301 is mainly internal--the external chassis is the same i believe.

However, the x301 uses the centrino 2 platform with a faster processor and uses DDR3 Ram. Also, the x301 has aa display port and the integrated video is also upgraded. Hope this isn't expired for you guys...haha

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:25 pm

:oops:
Last edited by sheltron5000 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hieveryone

New

Post by hieveryone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:27 pm

The coupon didn't work? Dam, I was too slow I guess.

You copied and pasted the link they give right? because if you just click on it it's invalid..

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:29 pm

hieveryone wrote:The coupon didn't work? Dam, I was too slow I guess.

You copied and pasted the link they give right? because if you just click on it it's invalid..
ahh! thanks for that, I didn't even check the link :oops:

hieveryone

New

Post by hieveryone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 pm

OK I just double checked now it's still valid and going on.
sheltron--hopefully this satisfies your need for an ultra-portable haha.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 am

Now I'm starting to lean toward the 15" macbook pro... :sigh:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 am

sheltron5000 wrote:Now I'm starting to lean toward the 15" macbook pro... :sigh:
Getting flippy floppy, eh? :)

Can I suggest you get the 13-inch MacBook or other portable laptops with VGA and/or HDMI, and an (19-inch+) external display? With this configuration, you especially get portability during the day. But at night, you take full advantage of your system when you plug in your display.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:07 am

vut wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:Now I'm starting to lean toward the 15" macbook pro... :sigh:
Getting flippy floppy, eh? :)

Can I suggest you get the 13-inch MacBook or other portable laptops with VGA and/or HDMI, and an (19-inch+) external display? With this configuration, you especially get portability during the day. But at night, you take full advantage of your system when you plug in your display.
Yeah, flippy the fish, that's me.

I'm being heavily drawn toward this... but I REALLY don't want to go back to trying to drag around 4.5lbs + power supply. I guess I could use the netbook most of the time, and the macbook for exams...

I guess the only question i have left is about using two VERY different keyboards. Is there anyone here who does this? Do you think It hurts your typing speed?

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 am

Since 35 pages is, well, out of the question to sift through...has this thread yielded anything resembling a consensus on the OP?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 am

The main problem I had with the Macbook (as opposed to the Macbook Pro) was its battery time, which didn't seem to be enough. I'm still contemplating the Macbook somewhat as I alreaddy have a bigger screen to plug my laptop into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:14 am

MrKappus wrote:Since 35 pages is, well, out of the question to sift through...has this thread yielded anything resembling a consensus on the OP?
I think the consensus has been:

PC: T400
Mac: 13" Macbook Pro
Netbook: Acer Aspire or HP something or other, or waiting on the Lenovo s12, but I like the dell 10v.

lawlover829

Bronze

Post by lawlover829 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 am

This thread has been going on forever.
When will it ever die :)
lol...

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:16 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Since 35 pages is, well, out of the question to sift through...has this thread yielded anything resembling a consensus on the OP?

Netbook: Acer Aspire or HP something or other, or waiting on the Lenovo s12, but I like the dell 10v.
Nice. Muchas muchas gracias. You saved my feeble eyes a 35-page sifting.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 am

lawlover829 wrote:This thread has been going on forever.
lol...
when everyone's questions are answered?
dbt wrote:The main problem I had with the Macbook (as opposed to the Macbook Pro) was its battery time, which didn't seem to be enough. I'm still contemplating the Macbook somewhat as I alreaddy have a bigger screen to plug my laptop into.

I just hate white computers. period. When i had a macbook i paid the rediculous $100 extra just for the color.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 am

sheltron5000 wrote:
lawlover829 wrote:This thread has been going on forever.
lol...
when everyone's questions are answered?
dbt wrote:The main problem I had with the Macbook (as opposed to the Macbook Pro) was its battery time, which didn't seem to be enough. I'm still contemplating the Macbook somewhat as I alreaddy have a bigger screen to plug my laptop into.

I just hate white computers. period. When i had a macbook i paid the rediculous $100 extra just for the color.
Me too! Which brings me another problem: when I've tried to go through the motions of purchasing a Macbook on Apple's Education website, it doesn't allow me to change the color from white. At least with the Macbook Pro it automatically comes in a nice silver with some black bordering the screen.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 am

sheltron5000 wrote:I just hate white computers. period. When i had a macbook i paid the rediculous $100 extra just for the color.

White computers are the Devil!!!!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 am

MrKappus wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:I just hate white computers. period. When i had a macbook i paid the rediculous $100 extra just for the color.

White computers are the Devil!!!!

LOL!!!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:41 am

sheltron5000 wrote:

I think its more like this:

PC: Lenovo T400, X300/X301
Mac: 13" or 15'' MacBook Pro
Netbook: MSI WindBook, Samsung NC10, Lenovo Ideapad S12

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”