The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lem37

Bronze

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Lem37 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:13 pm

Whatevs, MacBook is prettier. :D

Having it in my room actually compels me to clean my apartment. Seriously. It's nuts.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 pm

so many mac fan boys and girls lol

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 pm

hombredulce wrote:so many mac fan boys and girls lol
a reliable machine that doesn't crash, freeze, or slow down and that maintains its battery life...what a concept (stupid bill gates)

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 pm

bigben wrote:Lol, it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.
Or, I do. The fact of the matter is that possum's point makes sense. Its a nice feature of the macbooks. And while, on a windows notebook you can tweak the settings all you want, it still doesn't work as nice as a mac. And, starting up on my windows notebook from either Hibernate or Standby takes much longer than just opening up a macbook from sleep and it being exactly where you left it.

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 pm

I just got a lenovo t400 w/ battery, processor and memory upgrades and I love it. Just another vote =)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:37 pm

kiwislug wrote:I just got a lenovo t400 w/ battery, processor and memory upgrades and I love it. Just another vote =)
I am pretty keen on the T400, but worried about the weight. How heavy is yours, and does it feel like it will be a pain to lug around?

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 pm

doyleoil wrote:Or, I do. The fact of the matter is that possum's point makes sense. Its a nice feature of the macbooks. And while, on a windows notebook you can tweak the settings all you want, it still doesn't work as nice as a mac. And, starting up on my windows notebook from either Hibernate or Standby takes much longer than just opening up a macbook from sleep and it being exactly where you left it.
i close my pc's lid and the screen goes off. i open it and the screen comes on. aside from that, i don't have to wait for anything to come back on before using it. MAGIC. considering the amount of options that you can tweak, whatever argument you have that claims macs handle battery life better with the lid closed is probably nominal.

seriously, i'd like a mac if someone gave me one and i would use it too, but i'm not going to buy one. you really do pay a price premium for them. yes, they look pretty. i'll give you that. the os looks pretty too. pc's really do not crash as much as mac fans would like to believe.

you know what else is great: you don't have to spend hours perusing messageboards to find comparable sotware such as one note or to figure out how to set up any number of other programs that are primarily made for pc's.

so how do mac fans really justify their computers? they look slick as hell. and that's perfectly alright. this is why apple is badass.

call me cheap and call me practical, but i'm going to be a poor law student and i love my pc. once i get that biglaw, i'll love me some mac.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:54 pm

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 pm

Last edited by puppleberry finn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:40 am

Linux + Windows with GRUB ftw! A dual-boot linux system on good hardware (read: macbook, Toshiba r500, etc) is the ultimate setup. :D

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Fri May 01, 2009 9:45 am

I save everything to a flash/jump drive. I really want to start backing this up somehow . . . perhaps on a portable harddrive. How does that work? I was with the understanding that a portable harddrive just backs up everything on your computer's harddrive. How do I backup the contents of my flash drive?

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Fri May 01, 2009 9:56 am

puppins wrote:
dmreust wrote:I do have one question for those people using Macbooks. What note taking software are you using? I have played around with One note and it seems amazing. The only dedicated note taking software I've seen for the Mac is Omni Outliner and I was considerable underwhelmed after having played with One note. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?
Just use One Note, with VMWare Fusion! (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/). It allows you to run Windows and/or any windows software on a Mac AND is super awesome. Make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM to make it work smoothly, but once you have that, you're golden. Plus, it has Unity Mode, which is the most exciting bit of software I've come across in the past few years.
I figured this might be the response I got. The problem I have with it is this; If I'm going to spend some extra cash to get a Macbook I want to be using OS X which is effectively the reason for having a Mac (in my mind anyway). If I'm running Windows thorugh VMWare Fusion non-stop for note taking and whatnot, I may as well just be using Windows. Besides, I assume that Windows 7 really will be a lot better. I plan to wait for the next release on the May 5th, install it on my desktop, and make my decision that way. Thanks for the reply though.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:04 am

art vandelay wrote:
snotrocket wrote:
texas08 wrote:locker? your law school has lockers? which law school do you go to?
The good one.
+1

Weird but true.
Most of the schools I visited had lockers - Columbia, Penn, etc. Law school books are heavy!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:59 am

dmreust wrote:
puppins wrote:
dmreust wrote:I do have one question for those people using Macbooks. What note taking software are you using? I have played around with One note and it seems amazing. The only dedicated note taking software I've seen for the Mac is Omni Outliner and I was considerable underwhelmed after having played with One note. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?
Just use One Note, with VMWare Fusion! (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/). It allows you to run Windows and/or any windows software on a Mac AND is super awesome. Make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM to make it work smoothly, but once you have that, you're golden. Plus, it has Unity Mode, which is the most exciting bit of software I've come across in the past few years.
I figured this might be the response I got. The problem I have with it is this; If I'm going to spend some extra cash to get a Macbook I want to be using OS X which is effectively the reason for having a Mac (in my mind anyway). If I'm running Windows thorugh VMWare Fusion non-stop for note taking and whatnot, I may as well just be using Windows. Besides, I assume that Windows 7 really will be a lot better. I plan to wait for the next release on the May 5th, install it on my desktop, and make my decision that way. Thanks for the reply though.
No, the point is you get awesome hardware, a great os (Mac OS 10), PLUS you have the option to run windows if you need too, which you probably will at some point since 97 percent of the world uses windows.
That's same reasoning behind a dual-boot linux setup, it's the best of both worlds essentially - you'll never be stuck not being able to run some software that requires windows. Basically, you're not going to be able to totally avoid windows, just due to sheer market dominance.

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:01 am

I'm looking at the Lenovo ThinkPad X200 7454, with upgrades. Will probably cost close to $1700.

Thoughts?

dmreust

New

Post by dmreust » Fri May 01, 2009 11:08 am

chief915 wrote:
dmreust wrote:
puppins wrote:
No, the point is you get awesome hardware, a great os (Mac OS 10), PLUS you have the option to run windows if you need too, which you probably will at some point since 97 percent of the world uses windows.
That's same reasoning behind a dual-boot linux setup, it's the best of both worlds essentially - you'll never be stuck not being able to run some software that requires windows. Basically, you're not going to be able to totally avoid windows, just due to sheer market dominance.
If I'm in Windows every day (practically all day) to use One Note, why not just be using a Windows based laptop anyway? It will likely be faster than running Windows through VMWare Fusion to use it anyway won't it?

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Fri May 01, 2009 11:11 am

What decent laptop can I get for $5-700

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tkj

New

Post by tkj » Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 am

Last edited by tkj on Thu May 07, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:19 am

premierock wrote:What decent laptop can I get for $5-700
Samsung NC10 Netbook - $398 at SamsClub.com

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Fri May 01, 2009 11:24 am

UNC2009 wrote:

I SAID MINIMUM $500!!!!!!!!!!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 am

premierock wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

No, you said minimum $5... Check it out. Contracts is going to kick your ass...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuryDueT1000

New

Post by JuryDueT1000 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:26 am

premierock wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

ha, oh lord. Actually you said $5

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 am

Eff the semantics. We're in a chatroom not a courtroom. But, touche my friend.

Do you use a netbook? I have poor vision and don't want carpal tunnel syndrome. Are these legitimate concerns?

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am

premierock wrote:Eff the semantics. We're in a chatroom not a courtroom. But, touche my friend.

Do you use a netbook? I have poor vision and don't want carpal tunnel syndrome. Are these legitimate concerns?
Yes, they are legitimate concerns. I just ordered mine. I did go to BestBuy to try them out. The keyboard on the Samsung is 93% of full-size (and just 1/2 inch smaller than my desktop keyboard at home). As for vision, I can't help you as my vision is 20/15. Ask me in December how I like it (though I know that is no help right now...).

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:38 am

dmreust wrote:
chief915 wrote:
dmreust wrote:

If I'm in Windows every day (practically all day) to use One Note, why not just be using a Windows based laptop anyway? It will likely be faster than running Windows through VMWare Fusion to use it anyway won't it?
yes

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”