What is a good minor for a Pre-Law/Political Science Major? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: What is a good minor for a Pre-Law/Political Science Major?

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:42 pm

I haven't read the post up to this point, but minor in a language. It's useful and talking to a girl in french/italian is a lot more likely to get you laid then talking about price ceilings and price floors.

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Last edited by njskatchmo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

I never got why there were so many Poli Sci majors. Take something else that interests you incase you decide law school isn't right for you. A Poli Sci major almost certainly traps you in law school. And a lot can change over the next 5 or so semesters.

gocubs2010

New

Post by gocubs2010 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I never got why there were so many Poli Sci majors. Take something else that interests you incase you decide law school isn't right for you. A Poli Sci major almost certainly traps you in law school. And a lot can change over the next 5 or so semesters.

that's not true really. I know many people with degrees in poli sci who didn't go to law school, nor did they ever want to. I know speechwriters, campaign managers, teachers (high school or even college professors), and others.

on the other hand, it's hardly the most lucrative thing to study when it comes to long term success. My degree is in history, which could be one of the most worthless degrees in terms of future potential based purely on the degree. If I wasn't looking to study law, I would just go to grad school and get a phd. I hate children so there is no way that i would be willing to teach, especially history. i loved it in high school and in college. many others did not. even in college, i was pleased that at least i enjoyed my classes. my school has a very highly regarded pharmacy program, so i got to listen to my pharmacy friends and business major friends bitch every day for 4 years about how much they hate their classes. in hindsight a business degree might come in handy anyway.

I would really love to learn Arabic. if i could find a college that offered that, i would be all over it. german was easy. i studied it in school, visited the german speaking countries many times, lived there for a few months, and i liked it. i was in korea for a year teaching and even after a year i didn't have even a basic working knowledge of the language.

i think arabic in this day and age could be useful to know for law in many areas. anybody ever take any arabic classes?

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:11 am

minor in math so your brain doesn't melt from writing so many papers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

njskatchmo

Bronze

Post by njskatchmo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:22 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”