Ideal age for law school?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Go Bears

New

Re: Ideal age for law school??

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:08 pm

The other day, my wife and I were in the grocery store and got stuck behind three little old ladies walking so slow you'd almost have to try to walk that slow. One of them said, "Ten for $10! Well, my word, I can't pass up a deal like that!"

A few days before, my wife's mom visited us for the weekend. She goes nuts over bargains, considers Meijer her favorite store, and wanted to take me shopping for clothes at Kohl's ("They're having a big sale!") as my Christmas gift. She wears jeans with no pockets and an elastic waist band, and comfort shirts that are about two sizes too big, ribbed and without buttons. Hard to explain, but let's just say she's not a fashionista.

Over dinner that night, I asked my wife: "Is it possible to age gracefully? To not ... be elderly, even while you grow older. Can you still be with-it?"

She told me that kids are going to think we're dorks, essentially, no matter what we do, simply because we won't be up on the latest entertainment. So I think that's where I'll out myself in law school, as well.

Hopefully, I won't come off as lame to you guys as those slow little old ladies did to me :)

scoutfinch80

New

Post by scoutfinch80 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:41 pm

I was in an elevator on my way to an admitted students reception and made some small talk with the gal standing next to me. I could tell she was headed for the reception, too, because she had that same "am I in the right place?" look that I had.

Anyway, after we figured out that we were going to the same reception, she asked, "Are you...um...in school?" And I said, "No, I've been working for a few years." She looked relieved and said, "Oh, I thought so! Your clothes are very 'grown-up,' and you would intimidate me if you were my age."

My outfit that day? Some gray pants, a white button-down, and a black winter coat from H &-freaking-M. So, nativedelta, I understand how you felt about being labeled "older" just based on your appearance. I suddenly felt 47, not 27.

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:40 pm

This is such a silly question to me. The course of everyone's life is different...as well as values...as well as reasons. When's the best time to get married, have a child? Whenever the opportunity is there and you see it as the next best step.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 pm

cc0800 wrote:This is such a silly question to me. The course of everyone's life is different...as well as values...as well as reasons.
You should win an award for recognizing this. You wouldn't believe in the "real world" how much people judge and whisper about other people's life decisions. "Why would he do that?" "Is that really a step up?" "I always thought this was what you really wanted to do, and if you love what you do ..." Hell, you even see it when NFL, NBA and college coaches move from one job to the other - "It seems like a lateral move to me!"

So many people don't seem to understand that everyone wants different things, at different times, and they have their reasons that have absolutely zip to do with you (talking "you" in general cc0800, not "you" as in you personally).

cc0800

New

Post by cc0800 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Yup. It's crazy how black and white people make life out to be. Just silly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:09 pm

cc0800 wrote:Yup. It's crazy how black and white people make life out to be. Just silly.
What about brown people??? :lol:

Anyways, I think it is time to go to law school (for guys) when they aren't spending 90% of their days trying to, or thinking about how to, F*ck Bi*ches. There is no time in law school for that. Hence, the reason why I am taking time off ... to F*ck Bi*ches!!! 8)

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Go bears, I was just about the change my 'tar to Dylan and you beat me to it!

nativedelta

New

Post by nativedelta » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:12 pm

charming

AJ

New

Post by AJ » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:18 pm

I am 36...when I tell people this they don't believe me. Everyone says that I look like I'm in my mid-20s. I've always looked a lot younger than I am. Of course this used to bother me a lot. I used to consider it a big liability but not anymore since I'm going back to school. If I'd gone to law school right out of undergrad I would have certainly not made it. I feel like I've got what it takes now...at least hopefully :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 pm

kn6542 wrote:Go bears, I was just about the change my 'tar to Dylan and you beat me to it!
I'm just glad someone knew who it was! :P

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Go Bears wrote:
kn6542 wrote:Go bears, I was just about the change my 'tar to Dylan and you beat me to it!
Srsly? I can tell you where and when that pic was taken. Who doesn't know who that is?

cdownard

New

Post by cdownard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:20 pm

This topic intrigues me. I'm debating about going to law school (suppose I should tag that as eventually). I have no degree but I've been in business for about 4 years now...I think. I turn 24 this summer so I suppose that's about right give or take a few months.

At any rate, most of the people around my age that I meet are either in school, finishing school, or just starting working. I've been dressing in "Business casual/Business" attire for a while now. Least it feels like a while when I talk to them. I actually went to help a friend move back in October and I showed up wearing moving clothes ya know, like shorts, tshirt, etc and I got the comment "I've never seen you in casual wear, I thought you'd show up in a dress shirt".

It feels awkward. Granted the business I've been in has related to consulting for businesses and such. Operational management and other related. Most of the people I interact with have been 28 and up. Most of them think I'm somewhere around 27 (which is a huge boon, was difficult being taken seriously at 20) mostly because of facial hair and the handling of situations I suppose. I have a tendency to command conversation. Unfortunately I have baby face. Good or bad, I'm not sure. I look like I'm eternally 19 or 20 if I shave my goatee. And I don't particularly enjoy facial hair as I find it easier to just shave it all rather than maintain. It's just that I'm not taken seriously unless I look the part.

Part of the trepidation for me in returning to school is that I wouldn't be able to make it into law school until I'm somewhere between 27 and 29 depending on certain factors. Class load, etc. I was wondering how I'd be received with the "sea" (it's a sea in my head for some reason, no idea why) of 22-24 year olds who I already feel disconnected with. My closest friends are right around 30 and up with the exception of one from high school who also chose to pursue business immediately. My step family all talk about college life and drinking and partying etc constantly and that just holds 0 appeal for me. I'm a focused individual that looks at such things as distractions.

Anyway, I simply feel it's a nice to find others that are looking at the situation from a similar standpoint. Law school, and any graduate degree really, seems to be about making connections. I have a feeling you're prone to being better able to do so if you feel like you fit in.

Sorry for the long first post! And hello to everyone.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:20 pm

kn6542 wrote:
Go Bears wrote:
Srsly? I can tell you where and when that pic was taken. Who doesn't know who that is?
As in, I don't think he's the hottest thing going among 22-year-olds.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:21 pm

When you are comfortable with facial hair and wearing business casual, you are ready, son.

cdownard

New

Post by cdownard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:24 pm

kn6542 wrote:When you are comfortable with facial hair and wearing business casual, you are ready, son.
Ha! I've gotten used to it. Had a goatee or full beard for 4 years now. Perhaps it's just idyllic nostalgia.

justingeist

New

Post by justingeist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:24 pm

:?
Last edited by justingeist on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:26 pm

kn6542 wrote:When you are comfortable with facial hair and wearing business casual, you are ready, son.
I remember coming home from college as a freshman (way back in 19 and 95) and putting Dylan on the jambox (it was kind of like a Bose iPod player, but it played these things called CDs) and my brother, in high school at the time, rolled his eyes at it and wouldn't shut up about how much it sucked.

Next time I saw him, we got in some kind of sibling argument, and he screamed at me about how all his friends at his high school were telling him how sorry they felt for him that I made him listen to "that crap."

Nothing's changed.

We drove to the Indy 500 together last week and he kept trying to put Kanye West on. Dude's a white attorney in Chicago.

kn6542

Silver

Post by kn6542 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Go Bears wrote:
kn6542 wrote:
Go Bears wrote:
As in, I don't think he's the hottest thing going among 22-year-olds.
He didn't have a butt when that pic was taken, and he doesn't have a butt now. Nothing's changed.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:30 pm

justingeist wrote:I didn't realize I had the capacity for 16-hour grueling workdays plus half-days on the weekends until I was about 25/26 and trying to get ahead in my first career. Before that I thought I was human, now I know I'm an f-ing machine. I imagine that's a pretty good age to tackle law school. Not sure if I would have ever contemplated law school if I had gone the traditional route.
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm in a job where I have almost zero upward mobility - if someone leaves our place of business, they just don't replace that position. It ceases to exist. Yet many days, I'm bored stiff because my superiors aren't exactly the world's greatest delegators. Today, I didn't even go in. It's like "Office Space." No one probably even noticed.

So I want to go back so I can have a job where I actually DO have action-packed days filled to the brim with something to do.

cdownard

New

Post by cdownard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:36 pm

Go Bears wrote:
justingeist wrote:I didn't realize I had the capacity for 16-hour grueling workdays plus half-days on the weekends until I was about 25/26 and trying to get ahead in my first career. Before that I thought I was human, now I know I'm an f-ing machine. I imagine that's a pretty good age to tackle law school. Not sure if I would have ever contemplated law school if I had gone the traditional route.
I'm kind of the opposite. I'm in a job where I have almost zero upward mobility - if someone leaves our place of business, they just don't replace that position. It ceases to exist. Yet many days, I'm bored stiff because my superiors aren't exactly the world's greatest delegators. Today, I didn't even go in. It's like "Office Space." No one probably even noticed.

So I want to go back so I can have a job where I actually DO have action-packed days filled to the brim with something to do.
That's a perfect reason to go back. To be honest I'm bored as well. I've been trading foreign exchange for about a year and a half now and it's lucrative and such but there's something about staring at econ reports and charts and news headlines that is just unfulfilling. Add to that I'm unable to answer the question of "what do you do?" honestly since every time I have no one knows what the hell it is. I just tell everyone I trade stocks now. I've met a single person in the last year that knew what I did.

I'd rather research all day and prepare briefs. I love ForEx. It's been great, I'll continue to do it but the European session of trading is just wearing on me. I also miss 80 hour work weeks. Now I feel like I'm lazy since I'm only "actively" working a few hours a day. Sheer boredom. Which I realize for some is ideal but it's just not me. I look at law school, if people have an accurate description which I have no reason to challenge, as fun. I like the idea of "academic hell".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:56 pm

cdownard wrote:[...] I have no degree but I've been in business for about 4 years now...
You are going to have to get a degree in order to be eligible for law schools. You can't get a J.D. unless you have a bachelor's degree. Sorry ... You can whip something together and, if you kick but on the LSAT, you'll be in good shape though.

justingeist

New

Post by justingeist » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:58 pm

:|
Last edited by justingeist on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go Bears

New

Post by Go Bears » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:03 pm

justingeist wrote:
Go Bears wrote:

For a while I was actually getting ahead (promotions and bonuses), but now the company has basically gone into attrition mode too. I just jumped ship 2 weeks ago.
I haven't had a raise in 2 1/2 years. When I expressed concern about that during my evaluation, my boss - who is a tremendous guy - said something along the lines of, "The most important thing is that you love what you do. There are many advantages to working here other than money."

Which can be true in some ways. But c'mon. I didn't even show today. It's time to move on.

cdownard

New

Post by cdownard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Yep. Have to go get a degree. Which is what I'm looking at right now. Think I'm going to move back to Texas to do it (currently live in Denver) as I have residency there as well still. I will certainly miss the beauty of the Rockies and the weather. Freakin texas feels like the pits of hell after Denver's weather.
Yeah, I don't know what I would do with myself if I weren't stressed out. Looking forward to more punishment. My lazy-ass coworkers have been telling me for years that I would burn out. F them.
Couldn't agree more. I'm much the same. I always want to be going 100 miles an hour and have more things to get done.
I haven't had a raise in 2 1/2 years. When I expressed concern about that during my evaluation, my boss - who is a tremendous guy - said something along the lines of, "The most important thing is that you love what you do. There are many advantages to working here other than money."

Which can be true in some ways. But c'mon. I didn't even show today. It's time to move on.
Provided it's true and they didn't notice, I'd say you're right and if you're unhappy, moving on is certainly your best bet. From your company's perspective too. No one wants to manage someone who is unhappy. And the line about other reasons than money....ha. That's a line if I have ever heard one. I used that on an employee I didn't want to quit once. Wasn't in quite the same fashion but it was darn close. Luckily for me, it worked. I'm not advocating that managerial tactic but...ya know, when you have a good employee that can be difficult to replace...sucks.

I'd vote you follow that instinct. The reality is your company either can't budget your increase or isn't interested in it from a cost/benefit point of view (there's also the chance you're nearing your boss's salary level and isn't interested in closing that gap, though that's a remote chance - they typically won't bring you to their level). If your job isn't appealing to you and one in law is, then there you go. Open and closed. And seriously, screw that line from your boss.... I mean, just wow. 30 months between increase and that's the particular line? It happens but.... that's almost tactless from an "all things considered" standpoint. Certainly an outside perspective from someone who has used something similar though. lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”