Please, any guidance/advice for a 33 yr old mom of 2, recent BA grad with 3.87 GPA-Really want to attend law school! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Milana260

New

Please, any guidance/advice for a 33 yr old mom of 2, recent BA grad with 3.87 GPA-Really want to attend law school!

Post by Milana260 » Sat May 18, 2024 10:54 am

Hi Everyone. I'm a 33 yr. old mom of 2 little ones, and recently graduated from a Cal State with 3.87 GPA in Communications. I speak 3 languages and have experience interpreting for asylum/immigration cases. I have quite a bit of a background, including having immigrated to the U.S. as a child (refugee), had many personal struggles and obligations throughout my life. I dropped out of high school, received my GED and attended community college evening courses at 16 years old while working full-time. After getting hired at a great, reputable company at 18 during the recession, I dropped out of college despite having a high GPA and ended up working in their legal department for 8yrs. I needed to support my mother & grandmother. After having a child and enduring personal issues, I quit my job, and decided to school in Jan 2020 when my child was 4. Then the pandemic happened, and despite my little one back home with me full-time, I managed to get straight As throughout my academic journey, even having my 2nd one in 2021. I fell in love with Loyola, and their evening program works great for my schedule. I am also considering Pepperdine's extended program option. What should I be aiming for in terms of LSAT to have a high chance of being accepted to both schools? Should I apply to other schools as well?

nealric

Re: Please, any guidance/advice for a 33 yr old mom of 2, recent BA grad with 3.87 GPA-Really want to attend law school!

Post by nealric » Mon May 20, 2024 1:00 pm

I would caution against "falling in love" with a school. At the end of the day, it's a business transaction. Go with a school that maximizes the combination factor of job opportunities while keeping any debt you incur reasonable given realistic job opportunities. I emphasize "realistic" because schools tend to sell unrealistic dreams. Lawschooltransparency.org is a great site for figuring out what's realistic.

Lawschoolnumbers.com will give you a good idea of admissions outcomes at different GPA/LSAT combinations. I'm guessing those schools need higher 150s for admissions (assuming you are not receiving any sort of underrepresented minority preference), but it would behoove you to shoot as high as you possibly can. Higher LSAT scores also translate into scholarship offers. It's very much a learnable test. Treat studying like it's your job. I tell people to study for 1,000 hours or until you get a 170+ on an official test (whichever is first). It sounds like a lot of work for an "aptitude" test, but it's a lot easier to do the work on the front end rather than accept a mediocre score and try to make up for it in law school (where you will be studying a LOT more than 1,000 hours a year if you are doing it right).

I wouldn't get too hung up on a school list until you have an LSAT score. Take a few diagnostic tests to get a ballpark. If you are getting 160+ cold, you should shoot higher than the schools you listed. If you are scoring 140s cold, you have a lot of work ahead. Law school admissions is mostly just LSAT and GPA. Soft factors only matter at the margins.

Access

New

Re: Please, any guidance/advice for a 33 yr old mom of 2, recent BA grad with 3.87 GPA-Really want to attend law school!

Post by Access » Mon May 20, 2024 1:28 pm

Admissions are based on GPA and LSAT. You have a good GPA on paper, but check with the LSAC and confirm that the GPA schools will see is good. If you have a random old class in a community college that you dropped out of and got an F, it'll drag you down. So that's your first step. Second step is to get a high score on the LSAT. Study, take a course, etc. Max that out. Then once armed with those stats, you'll know your options.

If you're looking to make biglaw (or clerk, or other elite outcomes) be willing to relocate and apply to all T14 and go to the one that gives you most scholarship.

If you're not looking for biglaw and/or are not willing to relocate, then your goal should be an unconditional full scholarship, which again is going to be based on GPA and LSAT. But please do your research and make sure the type of career you're looking for exists and is available from the school you're going to.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”