Help Me Decide: Columbia vs. UChicago Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
colorver

New

Help Me Decide: Columbia vs. UChicago

Post by colorver » Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:09 pm

Hello! I was recently admitted off of UChicago's waitlist, but am currently deposited at Columbia. The difference in COA is pretty negligible, but UChicago is a bit cheaper due to lower COL.

Considerations:
- I have already signed a lease in NY and was planning to move in less than two weeks.
- I'm also pretty sure I want to work in NYC after I graduate but am not married to that.
- Because I have pets, I would have to work in Chicago over the summers if I were to go to UChicago; however, I do not think I want to remain there long-term.
- I don't have any lofty goals. A clerkship would be nice, but I don't even know how I got into these schools tbh so I'm not betting on being at or above median, haha. So, generic big law is more my goal.
- My most significant consideration is culture. I really would love to find a good community in law school. I have generally heard better things about UChicago's culture, but, of course, there are also just more CLS students to share potentially bad experiences online.

Totally understand that this is an extremely privileged decision to be making, but would appreciate any insight people may have about what they might do in my situation! Thank you in advance!!! And happy to provide any additional information that might be helpful (I do have a little pros cons list for each school, but wasn't sure if it was necessary to include)

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Help Me Decide: Columbia vs. UChicago

Post by talons2250 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:42 pm

Based on current rankings, UChicago is more "prestigious" by a millimeter. But the rankings could change down the line and it's absolutely not the case that going to Columbia instead would close any doors. If you're a Federalist Society-type person and/or if you're dead set on clerking, then the scale tips slightly in favor of UChicago. But if those two items aren't really a factor, then it's basically a wash.

I'd go with whichever city you want to end up working in and/or live in for three years. Also, think about where you'll be happier. For example, if one school is closer to family and/or friends, that would be a good reason to choose one over the other.

Rule23andMe

New

Post by Rule23andMe » Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:46 pm

If you want to work in NYC post grad and aren't dying to be in Chicago for three years until then, just choose CLS. You'll have all the same post-grad opportunities from Chicago, of course, but at CLS you'll already have friends in nyc and start building a network etc., + will have great opportunities to intern and extern in the city which will be super valuable. As above poster said, if you're very serious about clerking and aren't truly set on NYC, worth thinking harder, but that's my vote.
(Disclosure: CLS alum here)

Belli

New

Post by Belli » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:54 am

Rule23andMe wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:46 pm
If you want to work in NYC post grad and aren't dying to be in Chicago for three years until then, just choose CLS. You'll have all the same post-grad opportunities from Chicago, of course, but at CLS you'll already have friends in nyc and start building a network etc., + will have great opportunities to intern and extern in the city which will be super valuable. As above poster said, if you're very serious about clerking and aren't truly set on NYC, worth thinking harder, but that's my vote.
(Disclosure: CLS alum here)

"dying to be in Chicago"

above

well done!

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:52 pm

Based on your preferences, I don't see much argument for abandoning everything for Chicago. There's no meaningful difference between the two in terms of school hierarchy. I suppose Chicago would be better for clerkships, while Columbia tends to be better in NYC Biglaw placement (not that you would have trouble doing NYC biglaw from Chicago, but Columbia will have more firms specifically targeting the class). If you don't plan on doing litigation, clerkships shouldn't be a big consideration.

I didn't go to Columbia, but my spouse did (we were married at the time). I thought there was a good community there. You should be able to find your people.

As a side note, if you are only willing to work in the city where you to go school, you are likely going to be practicing in that city post-graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”