I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mbusiness

New

I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD

Post by mbusiness » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:32 pm

Hi All
I wish to pursue my JD degree; I hold my masters in Software Engineering and working professional having 17 years of experience as software engineer. Since last 7 years I am living in USA (Virginia) . I wanted to complete my degree as Flex JD (Part time).

Please guide me if I need to take Tofel/ILETS course and take LSAT exam for getting admission in to average schools.
Thanks and Regards,
Babu

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: I am an Immigrant Software Engineer living in USA for last 7 years and seeking admission to Flex JD

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:24 pm

I would stick with IT unless your life dream is to be like a prosecutor or something.
1) Law doesn't pay much and is a bimodal career (very few jobs pay that 200k+ salary and you need to attend a top 10 or so school to guarantee that outcome- the vast majority of legal jobs start out around 60-80k).
2) Your age. If you're trying to get into Biglaw (those jobs that pay that 200k+ salary) you'll have bosses who are 30 bossing you around. That's not something I personally cherish, but it might be something you are okay with.
3) Law isn't really glamorous- it isn't Courtroom battles (unless you are in criminal law- which doesn't pay well), or thinking of new precedent to fight over for the first amendment (with a top 10 school you can get a jobwith the ACLU and do that, but it won't pay well either). A good amount of law is just paperwork review- which isn't terrible and has its interesting points, but do not expect to be Aticus Finch or something.
4) Finally, as far as I know, those Flex programs are quite expensive and do not help one get a legal job- I could be wrong on this now, but from what I recall they were great programs.

To answer your questions: Reach out to LSAC, they'll be able to tell you about Tofel. You will need to take the LSAT or GRE for most schools. I recommend the LSAT as it seems schools are more likely to give scholarships with LSAT scores.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”