Am I making a good decision (BU)? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Nectarineenmity

New

Am I making a good decision (BU)?

Post by Nectarineenmity » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:14 pm

I’m likely headed to Boston University with a $35k/year scholarship.

I’m very interested in Biglaw, and I’d like to end up in Boston/elsewhere in New England/NYC (in that order).

I am worried about missing Biglaw out of BU, especially since we may be headed into a recession. I’m primarily interested in T&E/Private Client BL, which I understand is a very niche practice area. I’m planning on pursuing a joint Tax LLM after graduation. Is BU with $35k/year a solid option for my goals? Will BU’s reputation allow me to work in T&E? Any thoughts are appreciated.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Am I making a good decision (BU)?

Post by crazywafflez » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm

I do some T&E stuff. And know plenty more who actually do real T&E. Yeah, BU is fine for going to do your LLM (honestly, most schools are totally fine option for that, but as you slide down you need stronger grades). And, as I'm sure you know, LLMs are really only worth doing at NYU, Gtown and FL.
Do I think you're making a mistake? No. I chose a similar path (BU peer but further South... and slightly weaker stats than BU), but my goal was not biglaw (and I didn't get biglaw). But my debt load was only 60ishk (essentially living expenses).
Sometimes wish I had chose full scholarship to local state U with stipend, but honestly, you've gotta make thee decision.
Going to BU with a scholarship certainly isn't a bad decision.
If I were biglaw or bust though I'd consider reapplying next year and aiming for T14.

CPA-->JD

Bronze

Post by CPA-->JD » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Nectarineenmity wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:14 pm
I’m likely headed to Boston University with a $35k/year scholarship.

I’m very interested in Biglaw, and I’d like to end up in Boston/elsewhere in New England/NYC (in that order).

I am worried about missing Biglaw out of BU, especially since we may be headed into a recession. I’m primarily interested in T&E/Private Client BL, which I understand is a very niche practice area. I’m planning on pursuing a joint Tax LLM after graduation. Is BU with $35k/year a solid option for my goals? Will BU’s reputation allow me to work in T&E? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Do you know of any BigLaw firms in Boston that have a T&E/Private Client BL practice? If there are any, how many members of the group, and what schools are the recent associates from?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:07 am

What matters more to you: being in Boston or being in biglaw?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”