2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply
yfang12

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 pm

2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by yfang12 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am

I graduated from college in 2016, due to too many retakes I had a 2.71 LSAC GPA, (UGPA 3.3), I was mentally ill and hospitalized a lot when I was in college.

Due to health issues I went back to China for 5 years after graduation, during this 5 year I got my master in Hong Kong (QS Top50 school),worked as a researcher at a top Asian institute for a year, interned at the United Nation, worked for a NGO under Ministry of Education of China for a year as middle management, is now a part time lecture in social science at a top university in China and opened two companies (one in lawyer training and one in Chinese law school prep) of my own .

This year I got a chance to teach LSAT at an educational company here in China so I retook the LSAT and got a 170.

With my data and experience what is chance getting into schools such as GWU, WUSTL or anything around that range?

Thanks


crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am

yfang12 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am
I graduated from college in 2016, due to too many retakes I had a 2.71 LSAC GPA, (UGPA 3.3), I was mentally ill and hospitalized a lot when I was in college.

Due to health issues I went back to China for 5 years after graduation, during this 5 year I got my master in Hong Kong (QS Top50 school),worked as a researcher at a top Asian institute for a year, interned at the United Nation, worked for a NGO under Ministry of Education of China for a year as middle management, is now a part time lecture in social science at a top university in China and opened two companies (one in lawyer training and one in Chinese law school prep) of my own .

This year I got a chance to teach LSAT at an educational company here in China so I retook the LSAT and got a 170.

With my data and experience what is chance getting into schools such as GWU, WUSTL or anything around that range?

Thanks
Really good for both- You'll certainly get into GW and WashU- perhaps even with a scholarship. I think you'll start to struggle for the lower T14 and most of the T20- but I'd apply anyways to at least a few more. Are you planning on staying in the US? If so, you'll really need to go to a T14 so as to secure biglaw and get your visa (I'm assuming you are not an American but if I'm wrong please disregard this). Otherwise, scholarship options at GW/Emory type schools are great and certainly a scholarship to WashU is awesome.

yfang12

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by yfang12 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am

crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am
yfang12 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am
I graduated from college in 2016, due to too many retakes I had a 2.71 LSAC GPA, (UGPA 3.3), I was mentally ill and hospitalized a lot when I was in college.

Due to health issues I went back to China for 5 years after graduation, during this 5 year I got my master in Hong Kong (QS Top50 school),worked as a researcher at a top Asian institute for a year, interned at the United Nation, worked for a NGO under Ministry of Education of China for a year as middle management, is now a part time lecture in social science at a top university in China and opened two companies (one in lawyer training and one in Chinese law school prep) of my own .

This year I got a chance to teach LSAT at an educational company here in China so I retook the LSAT and got a 170.

With my data and experience what is chance getting into schools such as GWU, WUSTL or anything around that range?

Thanks
Really good for both- You'll certainly get into GW and WashU- perhaps even with a scholarship. I think you'll start to struggle for the lower T14 and most of the T20- but I'd apply anyways to at least a few more. Are you planning on staying in the US? If so, you'll really need to go to a T14 so as to secure biglaw and get your visa (I'm assuming you are not an American but if I'm wrong please disregard this). Otherwise, scholarship options at GW/Emory type schools are great and certainly a scholarship to WashU is awesome.
I am a Chinese Citizen, but I kind of grow up in U.S with my host family so I do want to stay, I really liked WashU for my time there during mock trial but if GT can be an option that would be great too.

Always wanted to go to DC to practice, but years ago someone told me DC has a small martket and prefers elit.

crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 am

yfang12 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am
crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am
yfang12 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am
I graduated from college in 2016, due to too many retakes I had a 2.71 LSAC GPA, (UGPA 3.3), I was mentally ill and hospitalized a lot when I was in college.

Due to health issues I went back to China for 5 years after graduation, during this 5 year I got my master in Hong Kong (QS Top50 school),worked as a researcher at a top Asian institute for a year, interned at the United Nation, worked for a NGO under Ministry of Education of China for a year as middle management, is now a part time lecture in social science at a top university in China and opened two companies (one in lawyer training and one in Chinese law school prep) of my own .

This year I got a chance to teach LSAT at an educational company here in China so I retook the LSAT and got a 170.

With my data and experience what is chance getting into schools such as GWU, WUSTL or anything around that range?

Thanks
Really good for both- You'll certainly get into GW and WashU- perhaps even with a scholarship. I think you'll start to struggle for the lower T14 and most of the T20- but I'd apply anyways to at least a few more. Are you planning on staying in the US? If so, you'll really need to go to a T14 so as to secure biglaw and get your visa (I'm assuming you are not an American but if I'm wrong please disregard this). Otherwise, scholarship options at GW/Emory type schools are great and certainly a scholarship to WashU is awesome.
I am a Chinese Citizen, but I kind of grow up in U.S with my host family so I do want to stay, I really liked WashU for my time there during mock trial but if GT can be an option that would be great too.

Always wanted to go to DC to practice, but years ago someone told me DC has a small martket and prefers elit.
DC is a really tough market, perhaps the hardest to crack in the country. I think going to law school will be tough for you though, as it sounds like you need a visa; so you'll need to get into a T14 school (maybe you can roll the dice with a WashU or UCLA type school on scholarship, but I wouldn't) to secure biglaw (as they are the only ones who really give work visas/sponsorships). If visa issues aren't a worry for you than GW is fine on a great scholarship (I wouldn't go if I had to take out a decent amount of money to attend). But I'm not sure you'll get into a T14 to be honest, having below a 3.0 is a pretty tough hill to climb towards admission into the T14 (I think even most T1s are tough to crack with that kind of GPA unless you've got a killer LSAT, which you do, but I'm not sure killer enough for the T14 to counter balance your GPA). If you need a visa to stay I'd apply to all the lower T14s (Mich, UVA, Penn, Cornell, Duke, NW, Gtown) and if you are feeling risky, WashU (but I'd only go if I got a good scholarship and thinking I may not land biglaw nor a visa).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


yfang12

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by yfang12 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:26 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:34 am
yfang12 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am
crazywafflez wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am
yfang12 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am
I graduated from college in 2016, due to too many retakes I had a 2.71 LSAC GPA, (UGPA 3.3), I was mentally ill and hospitalized a lot when I was in college.

Due to health issues I went back to China for 5 years after graduation, during this 5 year I got my master in Hong Kong (QS Top50 school),worked as a researcher at a top Asian institute for a year, interned at the United Nation, worked for a NGO under Ministry of Education of China for a year as middle management, is now a part time lecture in social science at a top university in China and opened two companies (one in lawyer training and one in Chinese law school prep) of my own .

This year I got a chance to teach LSAT at an educational company here in China so I retook the LSAT and got a 170.

With my data and experience what is chance getting into schools such as GWU, WUSTL or anything around that range?

Thanks
Really good for both- You'll certainly get into GW and WashU- perhaps even with a scholarship. I think you'll start to struggle for the lower T14 and most of the T20- but I'd apply anyways to at least a few more. Are you planning on staying in the US? If so, you'll really need to go to a T14 so as to secure biglaw and get your visa (I'm assuming you are not an American but if I'm wrong please disregard this). Otherwise, scholarship options at GW/Emory type schools are great and certainly a scholarship to WashU is awesome.
I am a Chinese Citizen, but I kind of grow up in U.S with my host family so I do want to stay, I really liked WashU for my time there during mock trial but if GT can be an option that would be great too.

Always wanted to go to DC to practice, but years ago someone told me DC has a small martket and prefers elit.
DC is a really tough market, perhaps the hardest to crack in the country. I think going to law school will be tough for you though, as it sounds like you need a visa; so you'll need to get into a T14 school (maybe you can roll the dice with a WashU or UCLA type school on scholarship, but I wouldn't) to secure biglaw (as they are the only ones who really give work visas/sponsorships). If visa issues aren't a worry for you than GW is fine on a great scholarship (I wouldn't go if I had to take out a decent amount of money to attend). But I'm not sure you'll get into a T14 to be honest, having below a 3.0 is a pretty tough hill to climb towards admission into the T14 (I think even most T1s are tough to crack with that kind of GPA unless you've got a killer LSAT, which you do, but I'm not sure killer enough for the T14 to counter balance your GPA). If you need a visa to stay I'd apply to all the lower T14s (Mich, UVA, Penn, Cornell, Duke, NW, Gtown) and if you are feeling risky, WashU (but I'd only go if I got a good scholarship and thinking I may not land biglaw nor a visa).
Ever since I opened my own law school prep company for Chinese law school extrance exam around 4 years ago I had over 200 students and 40 teachers (all from top law schools in China), and at least 30 of them already graduated and went to a big law, and most times I hate their job.

I dont know much about American market but in China most big law deal with non-litigation stuff, IP is very big right now so is investment banking,but I am mostly into tort and family law (I took like 6 law realted courses during undergrads, those are the two courses which I got an A).

China has a judge centered legal system where the lawyer dont meant that much to the result, and 99% of the time the rulling would be pro-prosecution, thats why I gave up being a lawyer in China, but I dont think I can become a public defense lawyer in America though.

So honesly my orginal plan was just to practice law in a place where lawyers matter, but at this point I myself is a little confused about where the future might lead.

If there are any options or suggestions, it would be great if you share some insight.

Thanks

crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am

That's awesome that you want to do personal injury, torts, and family law!
It is just really hard to get a visa to stay in the United States and the only reliable way I know of is via sponsorship through your employer, which usually only big law firms do.
There may be smaller firms and groups willing to do it but I'm just not familiar.
It would be an awful shame for you to spend 3 years of your life, garner 100k or more of debt, and not be able to stay in the US to practice and have to go back to China with your WashU or GW degree.
I'm just not sure what your chances of being able to stay would be.

I'd also add that if you are interested in torts, family law, and personal injury, your school ranking matters a lot less. You should go to whatever T1 school (around top 50 or so) that is free (i.e. they give you a full tuition scholarship) in the area you want to practice (say you want to practice in Tennessee- university of Tennessee on a full scholarship with the intent of practicing family law is a perfectly fine outcome). This is an excellent path, the only issue for you though is the visa. If you find a way around that, go to the state school or regional school in the state and/or region you want to practice in.
Hope this helps some.

yfang12

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by yfang12 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:29 pm

crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am
That's awesome that you want to do personal injury, torts, and family law!
It is just really hard to get a visa to stay in the United States and the only reliable way I know of is via sponsorship through your employer, which usually only big law firms do.
There may be smaller firms and groups willing to do it but I'm just not familiar.
It would be an awful shame for you to spend 3 years of your life, garner 100k or more of debt, and not be able to stay in the US to practice and have to go back to China with your WashU or GW degree.
I'm just not sure what your chances of being able to stay would be.

I'd also add that if you are interested in torts, family law, and personal injury, your school ranking matters a lot less. You should go to whatever T1 school (around top 50 or so) that is free (i.e. they give you a full tuition scholarship) in the area you want to practice (say you want to practice in Tennessee- university of Tennessee on a full scholarship with the intent of practicing family law is a perfectly fine outcome). This is an excellent path, the only issue for you though is the visa. If you find a way around that, go to the state school or regional school in the state and/or region you want to practice in.
Hope this helps some.
One of the girl went to Emory with a full ride just graduated got a visa from a litigation firm, I just talked to her yesterday though her pay is not nearly global pay level but I dont think I care that much at the begining of a career, so I I guess I just have to try really hard.

In this case should I just blanket everywhere I wish to practice within the T40 range? Chicago, DC, NY, Atlanta and Boltimore all seems really nice, I dont hate Cali either since I spent 4 years of high school there.

crazywafflez

Bronze
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: 2.71/171,LSAT Prep Instructor with good soft chance

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:12 pm

yfang12 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:29 pm
crazywafflez wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am
That's awesome that you want to do personal injury, torts, and family law!
It is just really hard to get a visa to stay in the United States and the only reliable way I know of is via sponsorship through your employer, which usually only big law firms do.
There may be smaller firms and groups willing to do it but I'm just not familiar.
It would be an awful shame for you to spend 3 years of your life, garner 100k or more of debt, and not be able to stay in the US to practice and have to go back to China with your WashU or GW degree.
I'm just not sure what your chances of being able to stay would be.

I'd also add that if you are interested in torts, family law, and personal injury, your school ranking matters a lot less. You should go to whatever T1 school (around top 50 or so) that is free (i.e. they give you a full tuition scholarship) in the area you want to practice (say you want to practice in Tennessee- university of Tennessee on a full scholarship with the intent of practicing family law is a perfectly fine outcome). This is an excellent path, the only issue for you though is the visa. If you find a way around that, go to the state school or regional school in the state and/or region you want to practice in.
Hope this helps some.
One of the girl went to Emory with a full ride just graduated got a visa from a litigation firm, I just talked to her yesterday though her pay is not nearly global pay level but I dont think I care that much at the begining of a career, so I I guess I just have to try really hard.

In this case should I just blanket everywhere I wish to practice within the T40 range? Chicago, DC, NY, Atlanta and Boltimore all seems really nice, I dont hate Cali either since I spent 4 years of high school there.
I'm not really going to banter back and forth on the merits of visa apps- that's for you to roll the dice on- just make sure you reach out to enough people and feel comfortable and do what works for you.
One thing I can more confidentially speak on is where you want to practice etc.
First, most schools aren't super mobile, which I think you already know. Outside of the Top 20, schools tend to place in their state. Don't let the arbitrary line of Top 40 fool you. As I said before, a state school in the state you want to practice will be a much better pick than say, Emory. If you want to practice in Baltimore, U of Maryland would be a way better pick than Emory. If you are totally fine living in any of the above places, knowing you won't really be able to move markets, than go ahead and apply to decent schools in all of them- usually people have a preferred place, especially so since law schools outside of even the T14 are not mobile.
But if you want Atlanta, apply to UGA, Emory, and Vanderbilt. Chicago? NW, Kent, Loyola, there's probs another I'm forgetting here... Baltimore, UMD; DC, GW; NYC, Fordham; Cali (big market), NorCal UCD and UCHastings; SoCal, USC/UCLA, Pepperdine, Loyola. Those are the schools that may be in your reach (some may be out) that will give you decent chances in those markets- most are not mobile aside from NW and to an extent Vandy.
Caveat, I would not go to these schools unless I had an extremely good scholarship (i.e. my total debt would be below 80k- barring NW, UCLA or Vandy, in which case, I'd rethink my analysis).
Cheers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”