US or UK Undergrad degree better for Law School Admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pjulk

New

US or UK Undergrad degree better for Law School Admissions?

Post by pjulk » Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Hello,
My eventual career goal is to practice law in the USA. For undergrad degree I have the choice between CU Boulder and the University of Bristol.
I am leaning towards Bristol due to the higher academic depth and rigor in my chosen subject of Philosophy.
1) Is the 3 year UK degree acceptable/welcomed when applying for law school?
2) Will the Bristol degree be seen as stronger than the CU Boulder degree (assuming similar grades) because it is a much higher ranked university?
I am a USA citizen.
Thanks for your guidance!

cavalier1138

Re: US or UK Undergrad degree better for Law School Admissions?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:27 am

1) It's too early for you to be thinking about law school.

2) It's too early for you to be thinking about law school.

Do not make decisions about where to go to undergrad based on your plans for 3-4 years from now. Those plans are almost certainly going to change.

crazywafflez

Bronze

Post by crazywafflez » Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm

pjulk wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 pm
Hello,
My eventual career goal is to practice law in the USA. For undergrad degree I have the choice between CU Boulder and the University of Bristol.
I am leaning towards Bristol due to the higher academic depth and rigor in my chosen subject of Philosophy.
1) Is the 3 year UK degree acceptable/welcomed when applying for law school?
2) Will the Bristol degree be seen as stronger than the CU Boulder degree (assuming similar grades) because it is a much higher ranked university?
I am a USA citizen.
Thanks for your guidance!
It won't matter, go to whichever Uni you want to go to more. If you choose Bristol your grades will be less important (just try and get a 2:1) and your LSAT will be way more important (I went to foreign Unis for my UG and Grad). If you go to boulder just make sure you get good grades. Law schools care a lot more about good grades than they care about what undergrad you went to. They don't care if you went to Cambridge or York, or NYU or Arizona State- they care that you performed well- regardless of major or rank.
I think you should go to Bristol though cause you seem like you want to go there more (plus, I think it'll actually be cheaper- as it is 3 years, I believe and cheaper tuition unless youre from CO, but even then, 3 years vs. 4). Does Bristol have a PPE program? Just think it could be fun, you don't need to study anything special for law (and I'd recommend you don't study law at all till you head to law school).
I'd also suggest Uni of Bath (beautiful area and also an RG uni), St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Durham, and Warwick, maybe York. All in beautiful locations and great looking Unis. I went to LSE and it was a shit looking Uni- certainly do not recommend going to school in London. Good lucky, enjoy your undergrad and don't think too hard about law school- keep an open-mind and certainly be willing to change course if you find something you enjoy!

pjulk

New

Post by pjulk » Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 am

Thank you for the great advice. You are right, I do want to go to Bristol more. Unfortunatly, it's quite a bit more expensive than CU-Boulder since I'm both in-state and got a $20,000 scholarship so I have to be sure Bristol is right for me.
I've been accepted to Bristol, Durham, York and St. Andrews - all for pure philosophy. I decided to stay away from London. Durham is interesting too.

pjulk

New

Post by pjulk » Fri May 07, 2021 12:38 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:27 am
1) It's too early for you to be thinking about law school.

2) It's too early for you to be thinking about law school.

Do not make decisions about where to go to undergrad based on your plans for 3-4 years from now. Those plans are almost certainly going to change.
Thank you. Recognizing plans may change, I do want to make sure that I don't make the path to law school significantly harder if I do go to Bristol. I'd feel very stupid if I hadn't done the research and it limited my options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:00 am

pjulk wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:38 am
Recognizing plans may change, I do want to make sure that I don't make the path to law school significantly harder if I do go to Bristol. I'd feel very stupid if I hadn't done the research and it limited my options.
It won't have a negative impact, and you will feel much dumber if you decide to forego the undergraduate experience you want because teenage-you is convinced that you already know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life.

crazywafflez

Bronze

Post by crazywafflez » Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm

pjulk wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:35 am
Thank you for the great advice. You are right, I do want to go to Bristol more. Unfortunatly, it's quite a bit more expensive than CU-Boulder since I'm both in-state and got a $20,000 scholarship so I have to be sure Bristol is right for me.
I've been accepted to Bristol, Durham, York and St. Andrews - all for pure philosophy. I decided to stay away from London. Durham is interesting too.
Boulder is supposed to be a great and fun school, so don't write it off! As far as the UK goes, don't go to Bristol or any of the others thinking they are more "prestigious" than Boulder or Alabama or UNC, whatever. They are absolutely fine schools (and perhaps Bristol has a great teacher you want to work with and you like the area!), but don't go prestige chasing!
Nobody in the US will know Bristol, go cause you want the experience, you like the Uni and the area, and you have the ability to do it; not because you think it is uber prestigious or better than Boulder or York etc.
Make sure to chat with students from each school if you can and if you can't visit before attending to talk to as many folks as possible and look at pictures/read forums about dorms and things to do/study!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”