Leaving already Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ALCA1920

New

Leaving already

Post by ALCA1920 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am

I’ve been a regular on this site for about 3 years and read just about every major thread on LSAT prep, legal employment, choosing a school, gap years, etc. I also met with lawyers irl over coffee and spoke with law students. In the end, I still don’t know whether it’d be the right career for me. Even with a full ride at a respectable state school, I can think of a better way to spend 3 years than going to an okay school with okay outcomes, doing a job I’m not thrilled to do.

It sucks to throw all my hard work down the drain, especially the LSAT I studied so hard for. But I’ll hand it to all the gold/platinum members and mods here, it’s probably a good idea to delay/forego LS if the only reasons for going are a high 5-figure income and I didn’t know what else to do with my humanities degree. God knows the world has enough lawyers with thousands more enrolling in record numbers. I took a gap year to work. I found a job as a mechanic and I love it so far- lots of opportunities to move up, the pay isn’t bad, coworkers are chill and easy schedule. Knowing online fora, someone will get angry or upset at my post for whatever reason, so if I’m wrong about something I’d like to hear your thoughts :) I know “retake lsat” is a matra, and I’m considering that too.

Tl;dr thanks for your help, tls. I’m holding off LS for at least another year.

cavalier1138

Re: Leaving already

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 am

ALCA1920 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am
found a job as a mechanic and I love it so far- lots of opportunities to move up, the pay isn’t bad, coworkers are chill and easy schedule. Knowing online fora, someone will get angry or upset at my post for whatever reason, so if I’m wrong about something I’d like to hear your thoughts I know “retake lsat” is a matra, and I’m considering that too.
Why would anyone tell you to retake the LSAT if you've found a job you enjoy that meets your financial needs? That's literally an ideal career outcome.

As you said, we have an abundance of lawyers. There's no reason you have to become one if you're happy doing something else.

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: Leaving already

Post by crazywafflez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Law school will still be there, and waiting, especially since you've got a good gig going isn't a bad thing at all. I also think just deciding you don't want to do it is awesome- a lot of folks don't find out until working for a year or two, and they are drowning in debt and wasted time. There are plenty of other jobs that make good money, have better work life balances (there are obviously some that're worse), and the vast majority of lawyers aren't making that sweet biglaw money... I applaud you on your decision and wish you the best, it seems no matter what you choose (i.e. to try again in a year or to just walk away) you'll put the research and time into making such a big and important decision. Best of luck and enjoy the new gig!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”