Should I take easy courses to get a higher GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tjqiu

New

Should I take easy courses to get a higher GPA?

Post by tjqiu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm an undergrad now and my major is math. Since my major has nothing to do with the law, I'm wondering should I take easy courses to raise my GPA? Will the admission consider the difficulty of my math courses which may affect my GPA?

crazywafflez

Bronze

Re: Should I take easy courses to get a higher GPA?

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:23 pm

Take whatever easy courses you can to boost your GPA. I'd also take courses you find interesting- I find I do better in courses I like.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am

I have to ask, since you're still in undergrad and clearly not studying anything related to law: Why are you thinking about law school?

tjqiu

New

Post by tjqiu » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:42 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am
I have to ask, since you're still in undergrad and clearly not studying anything related to law: Why are you thinking about law school?
I'm quite enthusiastic about law and thinking about doing patent law. So I thought maybe an undergrad STEM degree would help? My plan is to get a math double computer science degree for undergrad, then apply to some joint program for computer science MS/JD.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am

tjqiu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm
I'm an undergrad now and my major is math. Since my major has nothing to do with the law, I'm wondering should I take easy courses to raise my GPA? Will the admission consider the difficulty of my math courses which may affect my GPA?
Yes, taking easy courses to boost your GPA is generally a good plan. No, the difficulty of your math courses won't really be factored in - the GPA you earn is the GPA that gets reported for rankings purposes, so a 3.7 in basketweaving is worth more than a 3.2 in math.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:20 am

tjqiu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:19 pm
If you want to go to law school you should change your major. The difficulty of your major will have no effect on how law schools view you gpa. You can take an easier patent-eligible major.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:50 pm

If your only goal is law school you should take exclusively very easy classes and drop before the drop date any class that you think might result in any grade below an A-.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”