Advice - URM Re-applicant

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
16coco

New

Advice - URM Re-applicant

Post by 16coco » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 pm

Long time lurker and first time poster, I apologize if this is not in the right place. I am a re-applicant looking for advice on this upcoming cycle.

I applied last year as a KJD with a mid-160s LSAT and mid-3.5ish GPA to the T14 (minus Yale) and received 10 waitlists (including Stanford and CCN) with no acceptances. I had other T20 options but ultimately decided to sit the year out (mostly due to Covid) and retake the LSAT. My GPA is now closer to a 3.7, but after 5 LSAT takes, I find myself sitting at a ≈167. Unfortunately, not the jump I was hoping for.

I am essentially ready to apply, but since my numbers have not changed all that much from last year, I am concerned I have set myself up for a repeat performance. I know other AA URMs have had success with these numbers, but I'm unsure if this marginal improvement in numbers and softs (I published something) will push me over the edge.

To me, it seems my options are to apply to all the same schools and hope its enough, or potentially to pick one to ED to (although it seems like I would lose any potential scholarship leverage were I to be accepted), but I would greatly appreciate someone else's input. Thanks for reading and for any feedback you might have.

Cheers

crazywafflez

Bronze

Re: Advice - URM Re-applicant

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:45 pm

You should have different outcomes. I'm gonna assume you applied previously with a 3.6 and a 165. There's a world of a difference between that and a 3.7 and 167. URM is such a blackbox that it is really hard to know how you'll do. I'd be optimistic that there'll be some movement. I also think you'll get into the T14 and some great packages to the T20. If you are planning on matriculating in 21' apply now! I would maybe consider hiring an admissions help person akin to Spivey if you can- you really should with these scores be getting into all the T14 except maybe HYSCC, and you should be getting some great scholarships in the T14. Also, if you are on a waitlist, send a continued letter of interest- whatever those are called. I was waitlisted at a bunch of places- sent those in and overnight got acceptances and in with scholarships to a few places.
If your outcome looks something like in at Gtown with a $ and in at Vandy with $$$, take vandy, please (or whatever T20 is in the geographical region you want to practice in). I think you'll get some decent packages. I've heard this year is more competitive, but I still think you'll get into a few T14s. If you feel the need to ED, do it to NW cause I think they give a great scholarship package to their ED?
Best of luck.

16coco

New

Re: Advice - URM Re-applicant

Post by 16coco » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks for the advice crazywafflez! I'm hoping to get everything in by the holiday so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”