Importance of ability to pay ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
007sean

New

Importance of ability to pay ?

Post by 007sean » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:01 pm

Do people think that ability to pay full sticker will be a factor in this year’s admission cycle in light of Covid economic crisis ?

cavalier1138

Re: Importance of ability to pay ?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Will it be a factor for students in making their decision? I would hope so, but it isn't always given enough weight. Not sure why COVID-19 would change that.

Will it be a factor for admissions departments to consider? No. Because it never has been.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:38 pm

I've never understood how that would work, since a lot of schools make admissions decisions before they make scholarship decisions, and/or before people submit their financial aid forms. And even people who *can* pay full freight might not want to, and would prefer to take the scholarship at the next school down the ladder.

The other thing is that most people who don't have the money to pay sticker on their own can get loans, so the school would get paid either way. Maybe if schools this year see acceptances decline because fewer students are willing to take out the loans in light of the covid economic crisis, something will change. But grad school enrollments tend to go up in times of economic crisis (admittedly this one is new/different so maybe the same trends won't occur).

007sean

New

Post by 007sean » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 pm

It may also very according to how “rich” a school is. Should be similar to colleges. Every application to law school asks whether or not the applicant will apply for financial aid.

proudgunner

New

Post by proudgunner » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:54 pm
Will it be a factor for students in making their decision? I would hope so, but it isn't always given enough weight. Not sure why COVID-19 would change that.

Will it be a factor for admissions departments to consider? No. Because it never has been.
I agree especially with the bold. I would imagine that most people won't be paying back their student loans until the economy is out of its current funk. These sorts of decisions won't really have ramifications until at least three years down the road, and by then, the economy should (I hope) be okay by then.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:39 am

007sean wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:33 pm
It may also very according to how “rich” a school is. Should be similar to colleges. Every application to law school asks whether or not the applicant will apply for financial aid.
Again, this makes no sense. As Nixy pointed out, the school gets paid either way. The box you're referring to is required so that the school can direct the applicant to FAFSA resources.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”