Recommendation letter advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
strowos

New

Recommendation letter advice

Post by strowos » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm looking for advice in determining who I ought to ask for a LOR for law school admissions (for fall 2021 entry). As context, I graduated from an elite undergrad institution in 2016 (so will be entering 5 years out of undergrad), where I earned average grades/GPA. I did not form any truly meaningful connections with faculty during my time. Four years will have only eroded what little stock I had with my professors (not to say that I was bad or came off as dumb, just I was not a standout student)

I have already come to terms with the fact that my LORs will be the weakest component of my application, but I am still looking to salvage as much as I can. I am basically only considering T14 schools. I'm looking for advice across 2 vectors:

1) Is it a terrible idea to submit 2 LOR's -- 1 academic and 1 professional (given my 4 years out of school)? Will this effectively disqualify me from any schools?

2) In determining who I should ask for the academic LOR, I have a few choices. They are ordered here from the person who knows me best to the person who knows me least: 1) Non-tenure creative writing professor (A grade) // 2) Prominent tenured professor (2 courses including a seminar, A- in each) // 3) tenure-track professor in course primarily for grad students at affiliate public policy school (A grade). Which do you think is my best bet?

I can provide more details/ context for the professors and courses if that's helpful.

Thank you!

nixy

Gold

Re: Recommendation letter advice

Post by nixy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:35 pm

I don't think the 2 letters, one academic/one professional, should rule you out anywhere. Mayyyyybe Yale, but Yale is pretty much a crapshoot for everyone. As for who to ask to write for you, how well they know you and how specifically they can advocate for you is more important than their academic title/status. (The only exception I'd maybe make is if it was literally the first/only class your prof taught, and they won't have much context to compare you with other students or know how to draft a recommendation letter, but this i going to be really rare.) Any of the ones you've listed will be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”