Reapplying after 3 years

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ahartzell36

New

Reapplying after 3 years

Post by ahartzell36 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:47 am

Hi everyone!

I need some advice on a reapplication. I first applied to law school in 2017, and was rejected from every school I applied to (my stats were 3.56/166). I had a good statement, and good recs (I think!). Still rejected.

Getting rejected hit me hard, so I took a couple of years off. I've been working full-time at a normal, run-of-the-mill paralegal job, and I'm about to finish a Master's degree (in a tangentially related field). I retook the LSAT last weekend (my third LSAT) and I'm hoping to improve my score (practice tests were in the 171-173 range).

Anyway, this is a long-winded way of saying that I'm reapplying this fall, and I'm not sure what that process looks like for someone who's taken a couple years between applications. Any advice?

I assume I need new LORs and a new personal statement... should my statement acknowledge the gap between applications?

Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Reapplying after 3 years

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:49 pm

You do not necessarily need new LORs (although it would make sense, since you've presumably done some things since the last ones were written). And the conventional wisdom is that you should write a new PS. You don't need to acknowledge the prior applications at all.

That said, your LORs and PS are not central pieces of the application. You'll need an improved LSAT to see different results this time around. And where did you apply in 2017? Those numbers seem like you should have gotten a bite (even a sticker-price bite) at one of the T20.

ahartzell36

New

Post by ahartzell36 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:45 pm

Thanks for getting back to me!

I applied to most of the T14 schools, as well as a couple T20/T30. Not sure why none of them worked out, but here's hoping this time is better!

Do you think I could write my new statement on the same topic as the first one? Or should it be entirely new?

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 pm

ahartzell36 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:45 pm
Thanks for getting back to me!

I applied to most of the T14 schools, as well as a couple T20/T30. Not sure why none of them worked out, but here's hoping this time is better!

Do you think I could write my new statement on the same topic as the first one? Or should it be entirely new?
Same broad topic is fine if you truly can't come up with something new. Even if you re-use the topic, I'd rewrite the essay from scratch.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:52 pm

No disrespect meant, but barring URM status, those numbers are fairly shaky for the T14 and even the T20 (T30 less so, but if you didn’t apply widely in that range it’s not super surprising). I’m not trying to be discouraging, you’ve said you retook the LSAT so you probably won’t be in the same situation, but your results aren’t shocking. LSAT and GPA are the major drivers of admission.

(That said, I’m assuming no C&F issues? And you’re confident in your LORs?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahartzell36

New

Post by ahartzell36 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am

Hi!

No C&F issues, and I am confident in my existing LORs, and I'm even more confident in the new ones I'm going to solicit this cycle.

Don't get me wrong -- I understand why schools rejected me. My numbers aren't great, I can't deny that. I'm just not sure why every school rejected me.

Hopefully my LSAT will increase, and I'll have a better sense of what's reasonable. I have an Ivy League undergrad degree - I just don't want to disappoint myself with law school.

MarkmanPapers

New

Post by MarkmanPapers » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Good points from others, my one question would be about when in the cycle you applied. If you sent in apps in February, that might come closer to explaining going 0-20 (or 17 or however many schools). Get your apps in earlier, ideally before Halloween if possible, and definitely before Christmas/the new year.

Because admissions are rolling, an earlier application gets you more bang for the admissions buck even if your numbers are the same.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:15 pm

ahartzell36 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am
I'm just not sure why every school rejected me.
This is likely because our brains don't naturally comprehend binomial distribution. For instance, if you had a 10% shot at each of 15 schools you are only about 33% to get 1 acceptance out of the bunch. Here's a handy dandy calculator: https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Yeah, unfortunately, if you're applying to schools where your numbers aren't competitive, you're not going to have a better chance just by applying to more of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:10 pm

AJordan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:15 pm
ahartzell36 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:04 am
I'm just not sure why every school rejected me.
This is likely because our brains don't naturally comprehend binomial distribution. For instance, if you had a 10% shot at each of 15 schools you are only about 33% to get 1 acceptance out of the bunch. Here's a handy dandy calculator: https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/binomial.aspx
Also, the outcomes of each application aren't independent. An issue which gets someone dinged at School X will also be an issue at its peer School Y

ahartzell36

New

Post by ahartzell36 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I don't mean to suggest that my application results are a total shock to me - trust me, I'm not that proud of my number. And I'm not sure I would accept me if I were a law school...

I'm just trying to make lemonade here. Reapplying is a daunting concept, and I'm trying to get a sense of what a realistic pool of schools may be for me to apply to. Well that, and trying to figure out how to make the best out of my 3- year-inter-application gap. All advice on any of that is welcome!

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 am

Feel like I need to be the one to say you should really really consider not going. Even if you had great numbers don’t go. It sounds like you have a good job that you are pretty decent at and kinda like. I am jealous of you. Keep it unless you would just be beside yourself not being a lawyer (and still then, probably don’t go).

yyyuppp

Bronze

Post by yyyuppp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am

sorry folks. wrong thread. long day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”