Do law schools care how long of a gap you take?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
strawberryprincess7

New

Do law schools care how long of a gap you take?

Post by strawberryprincess7 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Do law schools care how long out of college graduation you are when you apply? If you've been out for say 4 years, would they then be looking for substantial work experience? What if during those 4 years you really were just working as a paralegal, rather than anything advanced or technical, like engineering or business or whatnot? I'm asking because I'm just planning for the worst case scenario of me waiting it out a little bit more if my LSAT score is not in the range that I want it to be by the time I'm actually planning on applying, which is shorter than 4 years. I'm specifically aiming for the T6 (most ideally one of the HYS).

acr

Silver

Re: Do law schools care how long of a gap you take?

Post by acr » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:01 pm

No. This is not something that factors into your law school admission in any way. If you’ve done something incredibly exceptional, you might see a slight admissions boost. But it won’t be held against you for being a paralegal, gardener, skydive instructor, baker or whatever else during your gap. What matters is GPA/lsat, and, less so, your admissions essays.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”