Where to ED? U-Chi, NU?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FyodorPavlovich

New

Where to ED? U-Chi, NU?

Post by FyodorPavlovich » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Hello, and thanks to all. Long time reader, first time poster.

Finally getting ready to apply and wanted to see what others thought.

I'm an extreme splitter. Probably not just <25 and >75, but likely more than likely <10 and >90 at the schools I'm looking at.
I have a low 3 gpa (STEM) and >175 LSAT. Significant work exp.
My top choices are Chicago and NU.
Here's the conundrum:

RD at chicago is likely WL through summer without an admittance. ED could potentially get me in, but would be likely paying sticker tuition at a school where only 15% pay sticker. I could cut back on COL at a school in chicago, though.

NU likely in RD and not ED, but wondering if ED would show my enthusiasm and potentially get me more scholarship money after being rolled over to RD.

So ED chicago and likely get stuck at around 300K debt
Or ED NU, basically give up on the chicago dream and maybe keep COA around 200K with tuition money and low COL.

Also looking at peers, but I think with COL lower in chicago, I'd be able to maintain a better QOL for 3 years. Also, the wife is a foreign immigrant, so i'm thinking it might be easier for her to find work in a big city.

Currently leaning to ED NU, but wondering if anybody can make a good case for taking on more debt to potentially climb the rankings. Current goal of transactional biglaw (M&A) would suggest not much difference in the 2, but I also know my mind could change. Maybe once in school i fall in love with criminal or want to clerk and decide to go a different direction...

Thanks in advance. Feel free to troll or flame (I enjoy a good laugh), but serious answers would make my day.

cavalier1138

Re: Where to ED? U-Chi, NU?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:40 am

As a rule, getting in ED is generally not easier than getting in RD. This is especially true at Northwestern, where you'll have a great chance at RD admission, but almost zero chance at ED because of the guaranteed scholarship.

You're a pretty dramatic splitter, and that means you should be applying broadly across the T20 (except HYS and possibly Berkeley/Cornell/Chicago because of the low GPA). It's fine to have preferences within that group, but job numbers and cost should have far more weight in your decision-making, which is why it's too early to have narrowed your favorites down to a single city. The only thing that changes this calculus is if you want to practice in Chicago. In that case, your best bet is still to apply broadly, with a focus on positioning yourself for a decent scholarship at NW.

FyodorPavlovich

New

Post by FyodorPavlovich » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply. I know I wouldn't get in ED at NW, but thought maybe showing that strong enthusiasm for the school would potentially get me a little more $ after I get rolled over to RD pool. Do you know if that's a thing?

I honestly didn't even have u-chi on my radar until i got my LSAT back. But checking, I saw a compilation of Chicago data (maybe old lsn data) that said ED splitters at u-chi were more than 10 times as likely to get in than RD splitters.

I'm also looking at peers, including UVA (would be my #1 choice if it weren't for chicago offering me - personally, not in general obviously - low COL), Duke, Penn, Mich, and UT. I figured the NY schools are out of the question even with acceptance bc of COA and because I really don't wanna be in NY, but I still intend to apply. I plan to apply everywhere in the t14 and UT except YS,Berk,Corn,GT. Will apply ucla too since they gave unsolicited fee waiver.

Goals:
1. BL
2. BL in Texas if possible
3. BL in Chi (wife hates the cold though; said she could do a few winters if i'm in school there)
4. BL in the south
5. Texas non BL

top 4 in my mind now: chi, nw, uva, ut. But the only ones i'm considering possibly EDing are the chicago schools

major ties to chicago and texas. medium ties to california. I'd prefer to end up long term in a state with low taxes and lax gun laws, but I still love chicago. Not sure I'd want to raise kids in cali though. Amazing place to visit, but long term idk. East coast is fine, but would prefer delaware south.

Thanks, again.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:15 pm

FyodorPavlovich wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:21 am
Thanks for the reply. I know I wouldn't get in ED at NW, but thought maybe showing that strong enthusiasm for the school would potentially get me a little more $ after I get rolled over to RD pool. Do you know if that's a thing?
It's unlikely to either hurt or help you. They know people apply to their ED program for the $150k—that's why they offer the money in the first place—which means they're less likely to infer "wow this guy LOVES Northwestern." More useful would be to write a supplemental essay about your interest in the school.
I honestly didn't even have u-chi on my radar until i got my LSAT back. But checking, I saw a compilation of Chicago data (maybe old lsn data) that said ED splitters at u-chi were more than 10 times as likely to get in than RD splitters.

I'm also looking at peers, including UVA (would be my #1 choice if it weren't for chicago offering me - personally, not in general obviously - low COL), Duke, Penn, Mich, and UT. I figured the NY schools are out of the question even with acceptance bc of COA and because I really don't wanna be in NY, but I still intend to apply. I plan to apply everywhere in the t14 and UT except YS,Berk,Corn,GT. Will apply ucla too since they gave unsolicited fee waiver.

Goals:
1. BL
2. BL in Texas if possible
3. BL in Chi (wife hates the cold though; said she could do a few winters if i'm in school there)
4. BL in the south
5. Texas non BL

top 4 in my mind now: chi, nw, uva, ut. But the only ones i'm considering possibly EDing are the chicago schools

major ties to chicago and texas. medium ties to california. I'd prefer to end up long term in a state with low taxes and lax gun laws, but I still love chicago. Not sure I'd want to raise kids in cali though. Amazing place to visit, but long term idk. East coast is fine, but would prefer delaware south.

Thanks, again.
Blanketing the T14 plus UTexas is a good idea. (Agree with cav that Cornell/Yale/Stanford are skippable but I'd still roll the dice on Harvard, Chicago and Berkeley.) With decent Texas ties, all of them can get to Texas, and decent scholarship money at any of them would be a better outcome than UChicago at sticker. Duke, Penn, Michigan—any of them could be awesome for you.

UCLA is highly unlikely to be your best outcome. It's a school for people who want California more than they want biglaw. Georgetown, on the other hand, could surprise you with a scholarship and has a decent network in the South.

To be clear: UChicago is a great school, but for your goals, with your numbers, spending $300k on it would be a mediocre-to-bad outcome.

FyodorPavlovich

New

Post by FyodorPavlovich » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Blanketing the T14 plus UTexas is a good idea. (Agree with cav that Cornell/Yale/Stanford are skippable but I'd still roll the dice on Harvard, Chicago and Berkeley.) With decent Texas ties, all of them can get to Texas, and decent scholarship money at any of them would be a better outcome than UChicago at sticker. Duke, Penn, Michigan—any of them could be awesome for you.

UCLA is highly unlikely to be your best outcome. It's a school for people who want California more than they want biglaw. Georgetown, on the other hand, could surprise you with a scholarship and has a decent network in the South.

To be clear: UChicago is a great school, but for your goals, with your numbers, spending $300k on it would be a mediocre-to-bad outcome.
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking and I'm happy to get some level headed advice on it to keep me focused on reality and not get sucked into a fantasy that leads to overspending on a school name

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

007sean

New

Post by 007sean » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:11 pm

UCHICAGO is very focused on GPA. With a B GPA it’s tough. So the question is where did you do your undergraduate degree ? If it’s a notoriously grade deflating school, especially in Stem (e.g, MIT, UChicago College , Princeton ) perhaps you have a shot at UChicago. I agree with above posters. Apply broadly in the top 20.

logan3000

New

Post by logan3000 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:53 pm

honestly I think this may be the rare scenario where an NU ED may be the best choice.

agreed with the above that UChi is a low chance of admission anyway given the low GPA (barring some extreme academia-focused merits), but a solid chance at NU and the ED + Chicago ties would help show strong interest. if NU ED doesn't work out (which seems like the optimal outcome), can still get into NU RD or some of the other lower t14 that feed Chicago (ideally U Mich) that are less GPA-focused than UChi.

so, I say ED at NU then apply to the rest of the t14 Harvard on down. HLS probably unlikely, but CLS may bite since they prefer high LSATs, and I know someone practicing in Chicago now from CLS.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:07 pm

NU. not even close

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”