Covid college experience/going forward

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mastermonkey45

New

Covid college experience/going forward

Post by mastermonkey45 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:12 am

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding how Covid is going to impact admissions down the line for students currently in college (such as me). Currently, I have a 4.0, with 63 credit hours done (out of 123 for my program), and am going to start my second year in the fall; I've decided to go back to school to attend in-person classes as I don't want to be stuck at home doing online classes and attending Mock Trial meetings on Zoom. I spend the majority of my summer working with my dad (small business owner), such as bookkeeping and helping out with work wherever I can, delivering for Doordash, and doing two summer classes.

How does this look for admissions? Will they care as much that for this summer that I didn't have a prestigious internship? What can I do to stay ahead of the curve with all that's going on?

cavalier1138

Re: Covid college experience/going forward

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 am

I've peered into my crystal ball and can say with 100% certainty that...

you need to stop thinking about law school admissions when you're a sophomore in undergrad.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:14 am

This^, but also, one summer between your freshman and sophomore years will not matter at all. No one will care. Even if they did, given current circumstances, no one is doing anything particularly exciting or groundbreaking. Relax.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 am

Please don't go to law school. It's a terrible mistake that you'll regret forever.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 am

you need to stop thinking about law school admissions when you're a sophomore in undergrad.

Cav is usually spot-on but I kinda disagree here. I took the LSAT during my sophomore year of undergrad (December test), knowing that I’d be graduating from college in 3, rather than 4, years. Thinking about my law school plan well in advance gave me breathing room and options for the rest of undergrad. Not saying that’s what’s going on here, but I don’t think sophomore year of undergrad is too early to begin contemplating law school in all circumstances. Plus, OP said that he’s halfway done with his undergrad credits going into sophomore year. Which makes this coming year “technically” junior year for him if he decides to graduate early.

That said, what you do this summer doesn’t matter to law schools for admissions purposes, OP. Not in the slightest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mastermonkey45

New

Post by mastermonkey45 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:51 pm

acr wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:

Cav is usually spot-on but I kinda disagree here. I took the LSAT during my sophomore year of undergrad (December test), knowing that I’d be graduating from college in 3, rather than 4, years. Thinking about my law school plan well in advance gave me breathing room and options for the rest of undergrad. Not saying that’s what’s going on here, but I don’t think sophomore year of undergrad is too early to begin contemplating law school in all circumstances. Plus, OP said that he’s halfway done with his undergrad credits going into sophomore year. Which makes this coming year “technically” junior year for him if he decides to graduate early.

That said, what you do this summer doesn’t matter to law schools for admissions purposes, OP. Not in the slightest.

mastermonkey45

New

Post by mastermonkey45 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm

acr wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm
cavalier1138 wrote:

This is exacly my situtation. I'm graduating in 3 in '22 at the age of 20. That's why I am trying to get a head start on all of this. I'm lucky in that I have gotten all of my "overload" done, so it's steady sailing until I finish (no additional classes to take up valuable LSAT study time).

It really does seem like this summer doesn't count toward or against anything at this point. I'm still really looking to do TFA after undergrad. Not exactly wanting to be the token 20 year old at law school.

Any other thoughts? I've finally got on my hands the LSAT Bibles so I can study in my free time during this mess of a next semester.

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:49 pm

mastermonkey45 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm
This is exacly my situtation. I'm graduating in 3 in '22 at the age of 20. That's why I am trying to get a head start on all of this. I'm lucky in that I have gotten all of my "overload" done, so it's steady sailing until I finish (no additional classes to take up valuable LSAT study time).

It really does seem like this summer doesn't count toward or against anything at this point. I'm still really looking to do TFA after undergrad. Not exactly wanting to be the token 20 year old at law school.

Any other thoughts? I've finally got on my hands the LSAT Bibles so I can study in my free time during this mess of a next semester.
Why do you want to go to law school, and do you have any prior experience working in an environment where people engage in the day-to-day practice of law?

I ask that second question not from an admissions perspective, as none of your extracurriculars or summer internship choices will really mean anything to a law school admissions committees, but because you really should be aware of what you're getting yourself into (particularly as a potential K-JD, and quite a young one at that).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”