C&F Disclosure Question - I might be a racist

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Atentaduh

New

C&F Disclosure Question - I might be a racist

Post by Atentaduh » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:49 pm

I posted this on reddit, but I'm coming here for the realistic advice that doesn't involve hand-holding and praise for the questionable person that I was.

I’m planning on applying to law school this fall. I have a 3.8 and a 176 LSAT. I was on the TV show “60 Days In”, where volunteers are incarcerated as undercover prisoners for 60 days. Criminal justice is something I was interested in, so I thought it would be a valuable opportunity, which it was. With that being said, prison is a whole different beast. I did and said things that do not put me in the best light. Race is a huge thing in prison, and you have to stick with your people to survive. I’m not Black, and definitely stuck with my race. I’m ashamed of it, and it’s on the internet if you know what to look for. I went by a variation of my formal name, so if you google my formal name it doesn’t come up (Jack instead of John kind of thing). When you spend every second worrying about getting killed, it can change your whole mindset at the time. It’s not good, especially given the current political climate.

As part of the show, I was “arrested”. Placed in handcuffs, squad car, the whole shabang. Is this “arrest” something I need to disclose as part of C&F? I have no legitimate criminal history. The lessons I learned while incarcerated are invaluable. If I eventually become an attorney, it will have been worth it in the long run. But my actions were disgusting and I’ve decided that it is in my best interest not to bring light to it if possible

objctnyrhnr

Re: C&F Disclosure Question - I might be a racist

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:08 pm

This seems made up because it’s so absurd but I’ll bite anyway.

I don’t think you have anything to report. I see this as tantamount to playing a criminal on a TV show as an actor which, of course, wouldn’t be a real arrest.

The whole thing you describe might bite you later on, but I wouldn’t worry about it for the time being. I mean sure worry a little bit because wow but like I’d just keep applying in the normal course.

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Post by decimalsanddollars » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:50 pm

Agree w/ above post. I also think that you're unlikely to have C&F/admissions issues; that this is not an "arrest" you need to report; and that this will only be a problem if you, say, run for office later.

ksm6969

New

Post by ksm6969 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi, similar question: I once hired a stripper, she dressed as a police officer and detained me, handcuffs and everything. Is this an arrest I have to report?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”