Summer classes to raise gpa?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
slpara

New

Summer classes to raise gpa?

Post by slpara » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:30 am

I'm applying to law school in the fall and my current GPA is a 3.899. I have the option to take 9 credit hours this summer which would raise my GPA to a 3.912. Is this a big enough difference that it would be worth it to take the summer classes or is the difference so marginal that law schools wouldn't care?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Summer classes to raise gpa?

Post by decimalsanddollars » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Your GPA is going to be good regardless, but going from 3.89x to 3.91x would help with YSH and certain GPA-picky schools to some degree. If it puts you from below median to median or above at a target school, I think it's worth it---unless there's a significant cost to taking the summer classes, in which case you should weigh the admissions benefits against the cost. If the opportunity cost were a paid or prestigious internship for a good company, firm, NGO, agency, etc., I'd say not worth it, but I imagine that's off the table given the circumstances. It's hard to increase your GPA, but if you can do it, it's worth a try.

oatmilk

New

Post by oatmilk » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 pm

LSAC rounds at .007, so this is actually a .01 difference and is simply not worth it imo. Your time would be better spent prepping for the LSAT, working on your PS, getting work experience, etc

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:38 pm

I'd do it because it would bother the hell out of me to have graduated so close to a 3.9 but not quite there. Looking back, I think that I do actually remember that a pattern of schools giving larger scholarships to many 3.9s over 3.8s so that tenth digit may actually matter as a break point for schools granting scholarships. Whether it's intentional or a psychological barrier of seeing that .X or coincidence or me misremembering, I don't know, but I'd do it.

The LSAT is more important, but if you're sure that you can handle both, my vote is do it.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:53 pm

oatmilk wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 pm
LSAC rounds at .007, so this is actually a .01 difference and is simply not worth it imo. Your time would be better spent prepping for the LSAT, working on your PS, getting work experience, etc
Agreed - you already have the shiny 3.90 from a LS admissions perspective. Another reason I wouldn't do this is that you run the risk of getting an A- or something and actually reducing your GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”