Waitlist decision?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Post Reply
righteouslyon

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Waitlist decision?

Post by righteouslyon » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:47 pm

I applied late last cycle to a few schools and was recently admitted to BC law off the waitlist. Right now I've been studying for the August LSAT to reapply, but am seriously considering BC so that I can start in the fall. My question is would BC be worth the cost at sticker (likely 250K$ COA) ?

I know that they place well into BigLaw in Boston, however it's usually about only 30% of their class. Also I'm not sure how much COVID will reduce hiring and potential job prospects for someone coming from a mid-tier school.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:36 pm

BC is way too expensive at sticker, even if we get back to the 2018/19 economy by the time you graduate. I understand the temptation, but your previous plan of retaking the LSAT is much wiser.

Crickets

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by Crickets » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:36 pm
BC is way too expensive at sticker, even if we get back to the 2018/19 economy by the time you graduate. I understand the temptation, but your previous plan of retaking the LSAT is much wiser.
Agreed. You have to first think of the total cost at graduation, which means accounting for housing, interest on loans, etc. You have to also presume you’ll be median, the statistically most likely outcome, which as you point out won’t land big law.

On the chance you get big law, paying off $300k will still take a while and force you to remain in big law longer than most people like.

In my opinion, only the handful of top schools are worth sticker, unless you’re dead set on public interest and can rely on pslf or school assistance for repayment. That, oftentimes, is still risky.

Definitely retake if that’s an option. Fee free to post your stats and we can give some further advice.

ExperssioUnius

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by ExperssioUnius » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:10 am

Crickets wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm
Fee[l] free to post your stats and we can give some further advice.
This......
Without knowing your past LSAT score(s) and your efforts relative to the LSAT to date, there is not a grounded basis for answering your question, no less a basis for jumping to the retake answer. If you've taken the LSAT once versus three times after taking classes and studying, the answer would be very different.

righteouslyon

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by righteouslyon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 pm

Stats are 3.low (stem+addendum written) and a 163. My recent practice tests have been higher (168-170), but will have to wait to see how I do on the July Flex.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


ExperssioUnius

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by ExperssioUnius » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:47 pm

I'll work off the assumption that "3.low" is around 3.2 and not 3.02. With having only taken the LSAT once and having current practice scores above your actual score, i'd recommend the retake route. A 168 probably won't get you into T-14 given the GPA but it should get you into a higher ranked school than BC, and likely with some $ if you apply broadly enough.

I'll offer two counter-arguments to retake. First, if you don't have any job prospects this year, or not any decent paying prospects, the opportunity cost of waiting the year goes up. Depending on those prospects, the year of lost earnings post-graduation might exceed the potential lost scholarship money/extra loan money and interest (getting 20K a year for 3 years to lose out on a 100K+ year only works if you have a decent salary during the reapply year). Often, this concern wouldn't be huge, but in the current employment environment it might be the case. Second, how tied to Boston are you? If very tied to Boston, you're really probably betting on BU, BC with $, or maybe on a few other schools ranked 16-25 that place decently in Boston (Vandy and ND come the mind possibly, but I'm not familiar enough on Boston hiring).

righteouslyon

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by righteouslyon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:14 pm

I currently do have a job offer this year with a decent salary (60-70K). My goal is to enter the new york market but would also be ok with working in Boston. My main concern is the employment outcome of BC, where only about 30-40% of graduates land a biglaw position or something close. After speaking with some alumni over the past few days they informed me that only students with honors level GPA/law review can realistically land an interview for those jobs.

I understand the argument of lost wages and opportunity cost, which is why I've been eager to accept an offer for this fall. I've just been worried envisioning a scenario where I'm at the class median and would have to then face 200K loans + interest with an 80K salary.

ExperssioUnius

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 am

Re: Waitlist decision?

Post by ExperssioUnius » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:51 pm

If you have a 60-70K salary, have taken the LSAT only once, have practice scores 5 points above current score two months out from the exam, and would consider other Big Law markets in the Northeast, then I'd say retake. Not sure I see a great argument for taking the BC offer. There is the risk that applicant qualifications will go up next cycle given the overall economy. Also, always the personal aspect of just wanting to start law school and be on a career path. I often think too many other people on these boards automatically say retake, but I'd recommend the retake path here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


Post Reply

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”