Evaluation of Foreign Master's Transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legallybrunette2021

New

Evaluation of Foreign Master's Transcripts

Post by legallybrunette2021 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:48 pm

I attended an American undergraduate institution and then went on to receive a master's degree from an Oxbridge university in the UK. I am currently applying to law schools and wondering how LSAC's credential assembly service (CAS) handles foreign master's degrees. I know master's grades are not included in the UGPA calculation, but does CAS evaluate UK master's transcripts in any other way? I have heard that CAS evaluates UK undergraduate transcripts using designations such as "superior," "above average," etc. Is this the case for UK master's degrees as well? Any insight from anyone who has applied to law school with a foreign master's degree would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Evaluation of Foreign Master's Transcripts

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:57 pm

No. Any non-undergraduate transcripts are just included in your packet; they don't get any CAS treatment.

Edit: Apparently that's only for American grad transcripts.

crazywafflez

Bronze

Re: Evaluation of Foreign Master's Transcripts

Post by crazywafflez » Wed May 27, 2020 6:11 pm

Yeah, they'll evaluate your foreign transcript- both undergrad and grad.
My masters from the LSE was given an above average rating (I received a merit).
I assume high pass = average, low pass = below average, merit = above aver, distinction = superior.
However, I really doubt law schools will care much as long as you dind't get a low pass, should be fine. Your LSAT and UGPA will be the most important. If you have a foreign undergrad they'll also evaluate it - this may be looked at more closely but again, it won't count for anything and they are just making sure you didn't completely shit the bed.
Best of luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”