Taking abundant CC courses to boost GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chubbyelle

New

Taking abundant CC courses to boost GPA?

Post by Chubbyelle » Sat May 23, 2020 12:28 am

So, I go to a prominent public university in CA and have completely fucked up my freshman/sophomore year. Received a few NP and even an F, which I did replace by retaking the class but still, I have no doubt that they'll factor into my lsac gpa regardless. It seems like at this point the only way to boost my gpa is by taking lots of summer classes from my school and other community colleges. My question is will it be looked down by the law school as trying to game the system? especially those CC courses I plan to take in the summer are kind of basic and completely irrelevant to my major. I guess I can take the summer sessions in a legit university instead, but the costs are going to be so much higher compared to the CC. Any insights on this will be greatly appreciated!

AdequateProtection

New

Re: Taking abundant CC courses to boost GPA?

Post by AdequateProtection » Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

I'm not an admissions expert, so this is just my personal experience, but I fulfilled most my general education requirements at a CC. I don't feel like it had any effect when I applied to law school. Granted, I wasn't applying to any T14 schools, and it may be different if you're targeting Yale or something. But I did get into several T25 schools with scholarships.

My understanding is that law schools really only care about your GPA, and not the prestige of the school, difficulty of the major, etc. So if you think taking classes at a CC will help you improve your GPA, I'd say go for it.

crazywafflez

Bronze

Re: Taking abundant CC courses to boost GPA?

Post by crazywafflez » Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

They only care about your gpa- doesn't matter where you study or what. Taking summer courses or CC course are fine and a good way to broaden your knowledge base and to hopefully boost your GPA. The F is gonna really hurt and if it shows on your transcript at all and wasn't removed LSAC will calculate it. Best of luck

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”