Does having 5 Fs ona transcript hurt

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mxd123lawschool2022

New

Does having 5 Fs ona transcript hurt

Post by Mxd123lawschool2022 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 am

Hi I have 5 Fs and one class failed 2 times my sophmore year. At the beginning of the year I had shoulder surgery and it kept me in a lot of pain that even carried over into the second semester prompting me to have a smaller less invasive surgery again but it hurt my grades and at my svcool we have something called freshman forgiveness which I can use to remove these Fs I removed 4 of them and I have a 3.32 gpa does this hinder my chances of acceptance to law school?

cavalier1138

Re: Does having 5 Fs ona transcript hurt

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:56 am

When you say you "removed" the grades from your transcript, does that mean that they actually don't appear on there? Or does it mean that your school just doesn't count them when calculating your GPA? If it's the latter, those grades will still count, so you'll want to figure out your actual LSAC GPA.

5 Fs on a transcript won't look good, and you'll definitely want an addendum to explain the bad year. On the plus side, a 3.3x doesn't totally disqualify you from admission to most schools.

Mxd123lawschool2022

New

Post by Mxd123lawschool2022 » Mon May 04, 2020 3:51 pm

They just don’t count them through a process called freshman forgivness honestly 2 of them are Ds but I used it on them as well. If it shows how bad the pain was I failed a theatre class which is a fairly easy class so. Do you think I would still have a chance at a T30 or Florida I have a 165 LSAT and was hoping that would bring me money as I am from Florida.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon May 04, 2020 4:17 pm

Mxd123lawschool2022 wrote:They just don’t count them through a process called freshman forgivness honestly 2 of them are Ds but I used it on them as well. If it shows how bad the pain was I failed a theatre class which is a fairly easy class so. Do you think I would still have a chance at a T30 or Florida I have a 165 LSAT and was hoping that would bring me money as I am from Florida.
It doesn't matter what your school does. You need to figure out if the *LSAC* will count the Fs.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:22 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Mxd123lawschool2022 wrote:They just don’t count them through a process called freshman forgivness honestly 2 of them are Ds but I used it on them as well. If it shows how bad the pain was I failed a theatre class which is a fairly easy class so. Do you think I would still have a chance at a T30 or Florida I have a 165 LSAT and was hoping that would bring me money as I am from Florida.
It doesn't matter what your school does. You need to figure out if the *LSAC* will count the Fs.
Yeah, this is the key issue. Your school can ignore them, but if they're on your transcript, LSAC will count the grades.

plurilingue

Bronze

Post by plurilingue » Mon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm

+1 to the above. I am almost certain that LSAC will weigh the F’s since they are on a college transcript. This is even true of, for example, the F in tap dancing you took at 12 years old at the local community college but forgot to withdraw from when you lost interest. It will make law school admissions a completely different ball game indeed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”