Investment Financial Advisor vs Lawyer Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Investment Financial Advisor vs Lawyer

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am

If it's your life's dream to go to law school, ok, but only do it if you get a full scholarship.

The LSAT is highly learnable; all it takes is time, effort, and a little googling/browsing old TLS posts. You should be able to snag full scholarships at those local schools you talked about with a 160 or so. That score is achievable by every single human being without a learning disability or other disadvantage (like crippling test anxiety), so long as they read the right prep books, take practice tests, and are intentional about progress and improvement. Classes are entirely unnecessary.

FND

Bronze

Re: Investment Advisor vs Lawyer

Post by FND » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:54 pm

lawdog97 wrote:Hello all, could I please get some advice?

I graduated from a local college back in May 2019 with a BBA in marketing with a 3.5 GPA . I currently work as a financial/investment advisor in a city of about 100,000 in ETX. I have been fortunate to work at a laid back and flexible company that is paying for all of my licenses.

However, I have always wanted to be a lawyer since I was a kid. I took the LSAT in Jan of 2019 and scored a 145 after a few weeks of studying. I did not apply in 2019. With my GPA and LSAT, I could get into some lower tier schools, (Loyola- NOLA, St Mary's, Miss. College) however, I have a lot of connections in my small town and would not mind coming back to practice law. I do like the idea of going to Loyola though.

So, my question is: what would you do if you were in my situation? Would you give up your dreams or retake the LSAT?

Thank you!
Keep doing what you're doing. If you're successful enough that you can afford it, study law part-time, while keeping your clients happy and generating those recurring fees you get as an investment advisor. After you graduate and pass the bar, find a mentor and start building a law practice, while keeping your investment advisor clients happy so you have some income.

FND

Bronze

Post by FND » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm

lawdog97 wrote:I have been looking over other posts on TLS and I have noticed you guys think financial advisors are just salesmen.
lawdog97 wrote:trying to get clients to come into the firm is difficult and there are easily 12-15 hour days. The failure rate is 88% in my industry- terrifying.
FYI....that's because you are a salesman. The #1 job of a financial advisor is bringing in clients, i.e. sales. You can be terrible at financial advise, but if you're bringing in clients, you will be successful. Or, you could be a financial genius, but fail because you can't bring in clients.

Don't worry, as an attorney, if you want to become partner (or be a solo), your job will also be sales.
That's just the way the world works.
[+] Spoiler
plenty of people here have worked in financial services, and plenty more have friends/family who've worked in financial services. We know what the job entails.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:29 pm

I hope you are all doing well despite the COVID-19 virus.

I have been thinking about this post and my life during quarantine. I have decided to apply to law school. I just cannot imagine not being a lawyer. My job is not academically stimulating enough. I feel it is too easy. I want a hard job.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 pm

lawdog97 wrote:I hope you are all doing well despite the COVID-19 virus.

I have been thinking about this post and my life during quarantine. I have decided to apply to law school. I just cannot imagine not being a lawyer. My job is not academically stimulating enough. I feel it is too easy. I want a hard job.
Good luck. Practicing law is definitely a hard job. Hope the economy is better once you get out.

I, for one wish my job were easier.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Ok, but you're going to retake the LSAT, right? I'm 100% sure this is a case of grass-is-always-greener syndrome, but if you want to go to law school, you absolutely should not go anywhere that will accept you with your current numbers.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Posters on this thread have been too kind, if anything. Under no circumstance should you go to law school with your LSAT score. You will not get into a school in which you will graduate with anything near the opportunities you have now. You will graduate having wasted three years and with a large chance of not having a job or being able to pass the bar (look at law school transparency for statistics). You are throwing away your life if you go to law school with your numbers.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Re: Investment Advisor vs Lawyer

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 pm

lawdog97 wrote:To answer your questions:

I enjoyed everything about working at a law firm. From the actual hands on work to saying I work at one. The attorneys I met were not well educated used-car salesmen types, but were good guys.

One of the reasons I want to be a lawyer is because I feel I was naturally born that way. As funny as it sounds, I just have never seen myself doing anything else. I honestly do not think I would every be happy doing anything else. I cannot really explain it in words (if you had the same feeling you would understand). The law is just piquant to me.

I love reading books by and about lawyers. Jeffrey Toobin's "The People vs OJ Simpson", for example, is such a fascinating book, not just for the case drama, but for the legal analysis and lawyering of the actual case. There are other similar books I enjoy about law and legal/political theory.

While I understand the financial ramifications of law school, I currently have no bachelors debt and have been saving up money like the dickens.
The practice of law, and even the law school case method, is nothing like that book. You will almost certainly never encounter something as high profile or engrossing in your career.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm

I do not mind you guys being frank with me. I am going to take the June LSAT. Many law schools I contacted are having rolling/open admission since the COVID 19 outbreak. I plan to apply and study, hoping to go to better schools.

I like more than the enthralling tell all books.I love reading about history and politics, too. I just think the law is fascinating and love the intellectual challenge it could bring.

I love talking, reading and writing. What else does a lawyer do? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:33 pm

lawdog97 wrote:I do not mind you guys being frank with me. I am going to take the June LSAT. Many law schools I contacted are having rolling/open admission since the COVID 19 outbreak. I plan to apply and study, hoping to go to better schools.

I like more than the enthralling tell all books.I love reading about history and politics, too. I just think the law is fascinating and love the intellectual challenge it could bring.

I love talking, reading and writing. What else does a lawyer do? ;)
Troll. End thread.

whatislife99

New

Post by whatislife99 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 am

Google inherited IRAs, NUA, 10b5-1 plans, GRATs, equity collars...it can get not easy fast.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 am

whatislife99:

Equity collar positions are purchasing the same number of calls and puts during market volatility. You are correct that any form of derivative securities can get complicated but after doing it a few dozen times, not so much. The 105b-1 Plan is complicated, I will give you that.

I am curious what will happen with Inherited IRA's and their RMD this year. Waiting for the IRS to release a formal guideline of the waiver.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”