Why School Essays Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze

Why School Essays

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:25 pm

My reasons for wanting to attend Duke, Northwestern, UVA and--more recently--UMich differ from the reasons that most people suggest writing about in the "Why [X]" essays. For example:

I want to attend Northwestern primarily because their emphasis on work experience will lead to a community of peers with real-world experience. During my undergraduate and graduate programs, I always gravitated towards older people because their knowledge and stories coming from other fields helped round out my education.

I considered writing an essay about why working before law school is critical based on my experience and using that as a springboard to discuss why I would fit in well at Northwestern, and why I believe the quality of education there (not from teachers, but from classmates) will be superior, at least for me. However, the advice I keep reading online is 'dig into the website and write about their classes and faculty and student organizations.'

Is my first approach viable, or should I go with the second? The first would be more sincere, but I can write well either way.

QContinuum

Re: Why School Essays

Post by QContinuum » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 am

My recommendation would be to go with the first approach. Writing about student orgs and classes should, IMO, be the last resort for applicants without a better reason to write about. Every T13 is going to have similar student orgs and similar classes and similarly stellar faculty; it'd be pretty hard to spin a compelling Why NW out of that foundation.

ProbablyWaitListed

New

Re: Why School Essays

Post by ProbablyWaitListed » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:44 pm

If you have any sort of any way to bring in a personal connection to the school predating your law school application I would make sure to highlight it, unless its like ridiculously ephemeral.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”