Environmental Law or Masters degree? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
emanning2

New

Environmental Law or Masters degree?

Post by emanning2 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:32 am

Hello, not sure is the right place for this post, but stay with me please. I graduated in May with a BS in Environmental Studies. I want to work in the environmental policy field, working with public policy and legislation. What is the best graduate degree to attain to reach this type of work? I have been looking in a masters in public policy, going to law school, or something like environment policy and management. I like the policy side more than the law side of environmental, which is making me hesitant to apply to law school, but I believe I could get to where I want to be with a law degree. With that said, I’m not sure what my other options are. Are there any other degrees that can lead me to environmental policy and law that isn’t law school? Advice is much needed as I want to take the appropriate test this fall to apply for the fall cycle. Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Environmental Law or Masters degree?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:08 pm

If you don't want to practice law, don't get a JD.

Your best option is probably an MPP or the specific environmental management masters you identified.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If you don't want to practice law, don't get a JD.

Your best option is probably an MPP or the specific environmental management masters you identified.
cav is right. In general, don't go to law school if you don't want to practice law.

You can and should weigh the pros and cons of doing a policy-oriented degree like the MPP or MPA, an environmental science/engineering degree, and a general business degree (MBA). A joint degree - e.g., an MBA/MPP/MPA combined with a substantive science/engineering Master's - might make sense depending on your specific goals. You should look up folks in the kinds of jobs you're interested in and see what degrees they have.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm

emanning2 wrote:I believe I could get to where I want to be with a law degree.
Where do you want to be? Describe your ideal job, or examples of people or positions that appeal to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”