LSAC GPA vs junior college gpa vs University GPA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aniston958

New

LSAC GPA vs junior college gpa vs University GPA

Post by aniston958 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:04 pm

hi all, before studying for the LSAT and start aiming for a specific score, i wanted to ask how law schools might interpret my GPA . Here is the rundown:

-before I started studying at my university (top 50, top 20 in my major), I attended a junior college for my associate's, in which i received a 3.9 GPA.
-I attended the university, grades were good first semester, but my mental health got the best of me..not because I couldn't handle the rigor, but rather for entirely personal reasons. performance dipped for a number of semesters. have maintained nothing less than a 3.8 for the past 3 semesters after I began to control my illness once I remembered how much I wanted to be a lawyer. so Ill finish with my bachelor's with a 3.6
-however, my gpa calculated by lsac is a 3.7.

-I know that lsac gpa is an applicant's official GPA to send to law schools, but there is obviously a significant difference between my associates vs degree gpa. do you guys think that they would view me as a 3.7 or slightly lower than a 3.7 due to my degree gpa being lower?

- I feel that while they might be questionable of my ability because my junior college gpa was slightly higher which might make them think i couldn't handle undergrad, i feel like the fact that i performed with a minimum of 3.8 for 3 consecutive semesters straight should remedy that doubt, given that the rigor of courses which i made a 3.8 or higher was nearly the same as it was during the semesters when i under performed...it was really just bc i chose not to control my mental illness that i under performed. but i decided to take control of it finally which resulted in significantly higher performance.

cavalier1138

Re: LSAC GPA vs junior college gpa vs University GPA

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Your GPA is a 3.7. You're overthinking this.

And in case you were thinking of it, do not write an addendum about your mental health.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:37 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your GPA is a 3.7. You're overthinking this.

And in case you were thinking of it, do not write an addendum about your mental health.
What is it with all these 0Ls and their GPA obsession?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 am

Npret wrote:

It's kinda understandable, because the law school admissions process is, as far as I know, sui generis in its almost exclusive focus on LSAC GPA and LSAT score. Just about every other school admissions process under the sun is "holistic," where things like GPA trends might very well be considered. But it's obvious these 0Ls haven't trawled through TLS' annals, as one of the single most oft-repeated phrases around here is: "the only GPA that matters is your LSAC GPA." I feel like it's the second most common phrase, after "retake the LSAT."

aniston958

New

Post by aniston958 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:49 pm

thanks !!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:01 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Npret wrote:

It's kinda understandable, because the law school admissions process is, as far as I know, sui generis in its almost exclusive focus on LSAC GPA and LSAT score. Just about every other school admissions process under the sun is "holistic," where things like GPA trends might very well be considered. But it's obvious these 0Ls haven't trawled through TLS' annals, as one of the single most oft-repeated phrases around here is: "the only GPA that matters is your LSAC GPA." I feel like it's the second most common phrase, after "retake the LSAT."
The ones that confuse me the most are either: 1) calculating minute changes caused by an extra class, semester or even two extra years of undergrad; or, 2) assuming a 173 or better LSAT; or, 3) more likely, both. Honorable mention to the 0Ls trying to renegotiate the LSACs policy as it applies to them.

aniston958

New

Post by aniston958 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:16 pm

Npret wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
Npret wrote:

The ones that confuse me the most are either: 1) calculating minute changes caused by an extra class, semester or even two extra years of undergrad; or, 2) assuming a 173 or better LSAT; or, 3) more likely, both. Honorable mention to the 0Ls trying to renegotiate the LSACs policy as it applies to them.

-i can't possibly be trying to renegotiate lsac's policy if im just asking about it...............................................................
-it isn't a minute change. going from a 3.55-3.65 or 3.7 is significant in terms of admissions..

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:03 pm

aniston958 wrote:-i can't possibly be trying to renegotiate lsac's policy if im just asking about it...............................................................
-it isn't a minute change. going from a 3.55-3.65 or 3.7 is significant in terms of admissions..
No worries, Npret was venting in general, and their post was not directed to you specifically. We realize you weren't trying to change LSAC's policy!

aniston958

New

Post by aniston958 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 pm

QContinuum wrote:
aniston958 wrote:-i can't possibly be trying to renegotiate lsac's policy if im just asking about it...............................................................
No worries, Npret was venting in general, and their post was not directed to you specifically. We realize you weren't trying to change LSAC's policy!

oh ok no prob sry! thx again qcontinuum & @npret for yalls advice!!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:05 am

aniston958 wrote:
QContinuum wrote:

oh ok no prob sry! thx again qcontinuum & @npret for yalls advice!!
Best of luck! Feel free to come by with any other questions anytime. We are always happy to help (even if some of the veteran posters are a bit gruff at times).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”