What does TTT mean? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dangerzone10

New

What does TTT mean?

Post by dangerzone10 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:15 am

On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?

EricC/O'11

New

Re: What does TTT mean?

Post by EricC/O'11 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:18 am

dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?
It comes from deep in the bowels of the snobs here on TLS; it stands for 'Third Tier Toilet".

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:20 am

dangerzone10

New

Post by dangerzone10 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 am

That's pathetic. Its quite sad how people think its not worth going to law school if you don't get accepted to a top-20 or tier 1 school.
EricC/O'11 wrote:
dangerzone10 wrote:On many of these law school admissions forums, I see people say bad things about "TTT" schools. What on earth does TTT stand for, and what does it mean?
It comes from deep in the bowels of the snobs here on TLS; it stands for 'Third Tier Toilet".
...SNOBS, INDEED!
Last edited by dangerzone10 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 am

Here's why, Zone:

But seriously, the rankings part is true and most on here will emphatically tell you that it is buyer beware when choosing to go to those schools. In many cases, if you think you can wait a year to get into a better school it may be advisable to do so. Primary reasons for going to a TTT are free money, it is a school ranked well for its region (U. Montana would be an example if you wanted to stay in Billings because rankings won't matter much there.) Generally, if you're only reason for going paying full fare (basically going 150-200k into debt) is because that's the best school you got into, it would be worth it to think long and hard as to whether that investment is worth it before committing. Job prospects will be significantly lower and you may end up making less than you might have simply following 3 years of a career path with your BA.

The above advice, however, is highly suspect and I'm, sure many would disagree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:28 am

^ Well said Mr. Matthews.

high4ever2008

New

Post by high4ever2008 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:34 am

"TTT" officially stands for "Third Tier Toilet," which is the Third Tier in the US News Rankings. "TTT" is also applied to the Fourth Tier or any non-ABA schools. In general, these schools are said to have lower prestige and worse career prospects.

Some elitists like to use "TTT" for any school ranked below theirs. For example, an immature Yale Law grad may call UC Berkeley a "TTT" or a Georgetown Law grad may call USC a "TTT." Some elitists view anything outside of HYS a "TTT," while others view anything outside of the T14 a "TTT." The list goes on. With all this said, we can all agree that a mature individual would not refer to a fellow lawyer's school as a "TTT."

Since we are talking about "TTTs," it wouldn't hurt to talk about another popular term: "Top Tier." "Top Tier" is usually referred to as tier 1 law schools in the US News. Many law schools (on their websites) refer to themselves as "Top Tier" if they are in Tier 1 (ranked 1-50 in the US News).

Some elitists also like to refer to the "Top Tier" as Top 10, Top 14, Top etc. It really depends on who you talk to. Most people like to include their own school in the "Top Tier." For example, a ND Law grad may refer to the "Top Tier" as T25 or a Columbia Law grad may view it as the Top 10, while Georgetown Law grad Top 14.

hls3

New

Post by hls3 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Last edited by hls3 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:31 pm

No one ever called Harvard a TTT. Where TTT starts and T1 begins is a matter of debate, but the fact is that the TTT label exists, and it exists for a reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rmyoun06

New

Post by rmyoun06 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Your mom is TTT.

oooooOOOOOOH!

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:41 pm

A side question: Did "TTT" originate with the phrase "Third Tier Toilet", or did it originally mean something else, like, "Third Tier _____", with people just swapping out the last word in favor of the more derogatory "Toilet"?

The reason I ask is because I swear I recall reading things from "respectable" people in the law field in which they referred to those schools as TTT. I figured surely they wouldn't resorts to referring to those schools as "Toilets", and that rather than toilet it must have had a different word originally.

Any idea?
hls3 wrote:
As explained above, it stands for Third Tier Toilet. It means that whoever is using the term is a. immature, b. probably a total douche and c. has not yet grasped the concept that law school is largely irrelevant to the practice of law. In all likelihood they also do not realize that this is how people think of them.

In law school (or so I am told) there's always someone who everyone knows as "the asshole." And if you can't figure out who the asshole is, that means it is you. My guess is that the people who like to throw around TTT are going to be the assholes of their respective law school classes. Just a guess.
Isn't that from One L?

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 pm

My guess is that TTT began meaning "The Third Tier."
Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:48 pm

No wonder I keep getting weird looks when I ask for tasty tater tots.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Where's TTT-LS when you need him? :wink:

EricC/O'11

New

Post by EricC/O'11 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:55 pm

rmyoun06 wrote:Your mom is TTT.

oooooOOOOOOH!

Hahahahahaha

TTT 4 ME

New

Post by TTT 4 ME » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Did someone call?

Curious George

New

Post by Curious George » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:My guess is that TTT began meaning "The Third Tier."
Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.
You're probably right.

In my brain, there was not an option for the other "T" to come before the Third Tier.

Later! Gotta' get back to thinking inside the box.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jharke4

New

Post by jharke4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:58 am

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote: Also helps that there are three "T's" which seems rather indicative of the tier system. I mean, if "Third Tier" was TT, people might be confused and think 2nd tier? Just conjecture.
TITCR. Three T's, third tier...gotta be.

jharke4

New

Post by jharke4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:07 am

Oh God. Did i just use TITCR?! I meant "you're correct", or "i agree", or any number of similar phrases which we humans use. I'm going to death myself immediately; sorry.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:08 am

jharke4 wrote:Oh God. Did i just use TITCR?! I meant "you're correct", or "i agree", or any number of similar phrases which we humans use. I'm going to death myself immediately; sorry.
titcr!
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

USCme2

New

Post by USCme2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Your MOM is TTT....

ooooOOOOHHHHH Snaaaaapppp!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:03 pm

high4ever2008 wrote:"TTT" officially stands for "Third Tier Toilet," which is the Third Tier in the US News Rankings. "TTT" is also applied to the Fourth Tier or any non-ABA schools. In general, these schools are said to have lower prestige and worse career prospects.

Some elitists like to use "TTT" for any school ranked below theirs. For example, an immature Yale Law grad may call UC Berkeley a "TTT" or a Georgetown Law grad may call USC a "TTT." Some elitists view anything outside of HYS a "TTT," while others view anything outside of the T14 a "TTT." The list goes on. With all this said, we can all agree that a mature individual would not refer to a fellow lawyer's school as a "TTT."

Since we are talking about "TTTs," it wouldn't hurt to talk about another popular term: "Top Tier." "Top Tier" is usually referred to as Tier 1 law schools in the US News. Many law schools (on their websites) refer to themselves as "Top Tier" if they are in Tier 1 (ranked 1-50 in the US News).

Some elitists also like to refer to the "Top Tier" as Top 10, Top 14, Top etc. It really depends on who you talk to. Most people like to include their own school in the "Top Tier." For example, a ND Law grad may refer to the "Top Tier" as T25 or a Columbia Law grad may view it as the Top 10, while Georgetown Law grad Top 14.
the "t14" exists for a reason, and there is a logical reason people refer to schools that way, but noooo, just call everyone snobs :roll:

i'd make fun of anyone that said "top 10" though.
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:08 pm

TTT 4 ME wrote:Did someone call?
I'm having trouble determining whether your s/n is "tit for me" or "ttt for me." Either way is fine, really.

jbs

New

Post by jbs » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 pm

EricC/O'11 wrote:

So what do you call the 4th tier schools? Wouldn't they be the third tier's toilet?

jigga-hjalmar

New

Post by jigga-hjalmar » Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 am

jbs wrote:So what do you call the 4th tier schools? Wouldn't they be the third tier's toilet?
TTTT

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”