Average seat deposits? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aaroy6711

New

Average seat deposits?

Post by aaroy6711 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:26 pm

I've been accepted to my backup school with a $90k scholarship. The seat deposit deadline was April 1st for $500, but I was able to get an extension until April 17. I'm hoping my other two schools will have responded by then so I can make a fully informed decision. I submitted all 3 of my applications within 3/11-3/13 so I'm not surprised i haven't received a response from all of them yet. Any advice on what to do if the April 17 deadline gets close and I still haven't heard from the other two schools (both of which I'm equally fine with attending)? I'm fairly certain I'll be accepted to one of the two, but I can't exactly give up my scholarship at my backup school just because i THINK i'll be accepted to my preferred school. Someone has suggested that I just eat the $500 if that deadline goes by, but I'd really like to avoid paying $500 to a school I may not attend if I can.

I will pay the $500 if i absolutely have to. I've just been in a perpetual state of worry for the past week or two.

aaroy6711

New

Re: Average seat deposits?

Post by aaroy6711 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:27 pm

I just realized that the topic line doesn't fit the post at all. Oh well.

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:21 pm

If you haven't heard a few days before the deadline you can always call the school and ask for another extension. If they say no, you'll probably just have to eat the $500. You may also want to reach out to the other schools you're waiting to hear back from and let them know as politely as possible about your deadline. It hasn't even been a month yet at those schools, though, so it would probably come off negatively.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 pm

You may have to eat it unfortunately, especially if you need both acceptance and financial aid from the other schools since scholarship info usually happens at least a week after acceptance.

To answer the thread title, a first deposit of $500 seems like the norm.

aaroy6711

New

Post by aaroy6711 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Thank you, everyone!

I'll just have to be patient (no easy feat right now) and decide once the deadline is closer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”