Networking Advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrtux45

Bronze

Networking Advice

Post by mrtux45 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:07 pm

I recently reached out to an attorney from an internship I worked like 5 years ago. This person went to a law school I'm considering, I remember them being cool, said they're happy to help/answer questions over email, call, or meeting.

I work several towns away from their office, so skipping work for an in-person meeting seems overkill..especially since I'm just asking for perspective on a school, careers, etc. Is it reasonable to just stick to email? I don't know this person particularly well, but this seems like a good opportunity to build on my network (very) early.

Does anyone have experience or insight about reaching out to old connections? This has me thinking about whether it's worth it to touch base with other people that have the outcomes I'm aiming for.

Thanks!

poptart123

Silver

Re: Networking Advice

Post by poptart123 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Just ask politely to have some questions answered via email if that's what you want. You could also ask politely if he is able to speak over the phone about his experience during and after school, and if so, you can set up a mutually convenient time to talk. The later might be a little easier and he may be willing to speak a little more freely. If you do speak over the phone you can follow up with a short thank you email after the conversation.

If you decide to attend his school there are other points in time where you can make an effort to stay in contact: let him know you decided to go there, follow up asking about 1L summer employment opportunities he may be aware of, ask about job search advice during 3L, etc. Just to keep your name fresh in his mind.

AJordan

Silver

Re: Networking Advice

Post by AJordan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:25 pm

I'm of the opinion that you've already done the difficult part by establishing the relationship and opening the contact. There is no real harm in asking to set up a coffee/lunch meeting in the near future where you can sit for an hour and have a conversation. It shows initiative and gives you a chance to prove that you're professional. It's certainly possible to do it over email/phone (depending on age. I've found most professionals my age, mid 30s, and younger hate the phone) but in person is almost always best if you can shake it. It creates a much stronger impression/connection.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”